travis's motor build

So here's the update, I have around 1,300 miles on the new motor. I was having troubles in boost. Checked for vacuum leaks and nothing. Jim helped me diagnose a bad charger over the phone. So I drove it to KC to get it dynoed to check the air fuel ratio. I got a new charger and plenum from Jim, Jason and I put it together Friday and drove it to the dyno Saturday. With the car on the dyno we noticed it was spraying fuel out of the injector area. So Jason and I tore it all apart that night to find the fuel rail was tweaked and was keeping the rear 2 injectors from seating all the way which caused them to unseat under boost. Fixed that, put it together and I drove it back home Sunday. 26 mpg Abilene to KC 21 mpg KC to Abilene. Nice to be able to use the charger again :D.

Transmission

Got the new transmission in the car. Rebuilt with some HD goodies and a silverfox stage 1 valve body. Shifts are firm WOT shifts sit at 5-5.2k and kick you in the pants:D

New issue with the car. Makes a kind of rattling noise under boost, i tried to catch it on video. I think it might be belt slip, but not entirely sure. The noise shows up the most at the end of the clip when the upshift light comes on. You have to turn up the volume pretty high to hear it over the supercharger in this.Tbird SC mystery noise 2: http://youtu.be/D2KuTj2CTkI

I found a new coating of rubber under the hood lol. I think it's the belt.... Kinda smoked the belt beating a Camaro z28. To the speed limit of course :)

I think I'm just going to get a MP 10% or crank pulley instead of overdriving the charger pulley and just put a gen 1 pulley on the charger to solve the belt slip. I need to get a 0 balance crank pulley anyway.

New issue with the car. Makes a kind of rattling noise under boost, i tried to catch it on video. I think it might be belt slip, but not entirely sure. The noise shows up the most at the end of the clip when the upshift light comes on. You have to turn up the volume pretty high to hear it over the supercharger in this.Tbird SC mystery noise 2: http://youtu.be/D2KuTj2CTkI

I think I heard a little bit of detonation as you rolled into the throttle, though it's hard to tell. I couldn't really hear the noise at the top end. I would suggest caution - you might want to check that you have good fuel pressure at the high end of the RPM range. Detonation is definitely not good! So just in case it was detonation, I would be a little bit cautious.

Yeah, you definitely need to be in the car to hear the noise. My phone mic can't isolate noise... The sound that is at the start of it is the same at the very top end. I'm leaning more towards supercharger noise since I know 100% that the belt is slipping and if you are actually in the car the sound is much more mechanical sounding than detonation. After the race it shows up as soon as it hits boost now. Which is another reason I think the noise is from the belt slipping. The noise only started about a month ago and was kind of rare. And it progressively showed up more often only at the top end. After the belt got smoked it's constant in boost only. I am going to be taking it very easy on it now just in case until I get everything fixed and the air/fuel checked again, but hopefully it's all from the belt and I can get Dalke some good readings to adjust the tune with(if it needs it).

I was going to suggest either detonation or the blower itself. I'd also double check the pulley is on and tightened down properly. More than likely it is, but it's worth a look.

Maybe get your hands on another blower and swap them to see if the sound is still there? Or remove the belt and spin it by hand and see if you hear the noise?

The belt slip is part of the racket. I checked the blower itself and it's good, but I'm in the process of checking out what my air/fuel is doing. Already checked fuel pressure(good), changed the fuel filter, got fuel from a different station with higher octane, and now I'm installing an a/f gauge so I can get Dalke some numbers. When I get the cash I'm going to the 10% crank pulley and calling it good on the belt side. Hopefully it's at 100% by spring (which is closing in fast).

Last edited:
Back