What prohibits you from attending an Event?

What prohibits you from attending an Event

• Cost to attend (gas/food/hotel/entry fees)

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Cars not road Worthy

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Distance to event too far away

Votes: 26 47.3%
  • Not a Show Car / Not a Race Car

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Combination of all the above

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • New - Didn't know events exsisted

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • None - Attend events annually

Votes: 9 16.4%

• Total voters

Tim Groth

SCCoA Member
Just trying to get an understanding of what obsticals prevent others from attending an SCCoA event or meet - Primarily referring to Carlisle and the SC Shootout.

Perhaps if we know - then we can work towards a solution to these hurdles.

Broken down cars?
School work interference.
And possible divorce.

Do I get a pass Tim :)
Don't be too sad I wish I was there doing Keg stands.

Each event has a different answer. I always plan on the Shootout. This year I also did the Power Tour. Guess what, I'm almost out of vacation days. Any additional events that require travel wouldn't happen. Most of the time, available free-time is my biggest problem. I have 3 kids in various sporting events, scheduling around them is difficult. Plus there are other family commitments.

Compared to some, my car is not show worthy and that has never stopped me. Sometimes money has been an issue, but not as much as it was 20+ years ago when I started attending events.

So really my final answer would have to be:

Free / Vacation time.

Broken down cars?
School work interference.
And possible divorce.

Do I get a pass Tim :)
Don't be too sad I wish I was there doing Keg stands.

Well given the struggles I have seen you overcome while at an event or in route too, you get a pass. Certainly the above take priority over a hobby, not the purpose of the poll - I didn't even party this year for it honestly wasn't the same...maybe I am getting old?

At the end of every event I hear "start planing now, for next year"...just courious more or less what's needed to help more attend. By no means am I twisting arms would just like to see more SCs.

-Tim

I think the 1st and 3rd choices overlap, so it might be misleading if one outscores the other?

That said, if this were ten years ago, there might be a chance of seeing more SCs at a given event, but these days I'd guess that number is at or near a peak.

I went in 2010 would like to go again. but car still isn't done plus the distance thing. if it where in st.Louis then would be a whole lot easyer. but doesn't mean I would have my car there.

For me, the primary obstacle is lack of time, or other commitments on the same day/weekend. Hopefully next year will be a bit better in that respect, and hopefully I can make it to at least Carlisle, if not both of them.

I attend several events annually but there are some events I don't make it to, because of other commitments that interfere or the event timing.

David

I would love to attend some of the club events and meeting fellow members, but being so far away prohibits any such thing.

Besides the only car I could kick some butts with the COP-TZR happens to be down for the count at the moment :mad:

Although my 95 is not too bad.

Like everybody says " wish I was closer "

I'm a mustang guy with no finances to finish his car until the ex wife quits taking so much money every month. Which means Mustang events always take priority. I am pretty sure last years shoot out was the same weekend as the NMRA finals in Bowling Green, where I work. This also means even though I am within a days drive of many events finances and child care play a huge role in what little free time I have. One day I will make the shootout as long as the NMRA isn't in town.

I don't see any flyers or know where the events are. info must be kept to just the core members. put up sticky or something that stands out or send out emails.

Distance is a major factor. I also live in the middle of BFE. It's 5 hours on the road to both nearby cities larger than home.

Engagement rings are damned expensive. That put finishing the bird on the back burner for at least four or five months.

Maybe when I get the poor thing taken care of I can road it to a few events.

I think a lot of people miss out because they think their cars aren't worthy, or aren't worthy yet. This is a sad mistake because your stuff will never be "good enough" and it will never be finished. You should attend events for inspiration! Plus, if you actually meet other SC owners you'll find you get a lot more help with your project. People are more likely to lend a hand if they know who you are.

1. I live in Arizona so events would be a long haul. 2. Just bought my SC back about two months ago and have started some major projects on it.

I don't see any flyers or know where the events are. info must be kept to just the core members. put up sticky or something that stands out or send out emails.

Check your PMs - just sent ya some information on the event "Summer Blast" . Also there is a Forum Section for upcoming events. I beleive also in prior years a Sticky for the Shootout was posted - Good idea tho. Exposure always helps.

-Tim

I think a lot of people miss out because they think their cars aren't worthy, or aren't worthy yet. This is a sad mistake because your stuff will never be "good enough" and it will never be finished. You should attend events for inspiration! Plus, if you actually meet other SC owners you'll find you get a lot more help with your project. People are more likely to lend a hand if they know who you are.

I was somewhat embarrassed to bring my car to the last Shootout because it was just thrown together before my move to STL. For weeks before the Shootout I was worried you guys would see all of the things still wrong with it and think "what a looser". It was the exact opposite feeling after the Shootout. Dave is right, I was truly inspired and went home with info, tips, and ideas.... as well as SC fever. I'll be back again with a bunch more things wrong with my car.

I can't tell you how many events I've attended and drove my TL. I go just to hang with everyone and have a good time! It's really the people the make the events. . . There is NO one in this group (That I know of) that would ever look down on someone or their car. Anyone putting some effort in (Or not!) is absolutely welcome, no matter what their car looks or runs like.

And Tim missed the one item on the list for me. Time. Sometimes it's hard to get away. I most likely won't be able to do the shootout (AGAIN) this year as it falls on our 10 year anniversary. Somehow a weekend in Kentucky isn't on the wife's list of destinations. Odd. . .

Distance. I can always make the time and its never about the money however driving 14 hours racing my car and then potentially breaking it is a real issue with me. So the shootout just doesn't have the allure for me. Its strange because I'm so not a show car guy. I like the Carlisle event because I appreciate the time spent with fellow enthusiasts. Id honestly not go to Carlisle anymore if it weren't for the SCCOA and the guys i've met over the years (although you are all getting old and cant hang anymore).

That being said I did enjoy my time at the shootout and meeting people I hadn't met yet and I do see myself attending again but I wont be racing. That's for sure.

One thing Id also like to mention. Getting there is half the fun. When I went to the shootout it was me and Tom Downs. Now if he had his car and we were cruising both cars there even more fun. Get 4 or 5 cars and its a cruise. That's how I do Carlisle. A group of us local people cruise together (not all SC's of curse). When Carlisle was at its heyday all of the various groups would cruise out together. Even the Canadians!....It was awesome. Driving 14 hours or so alone is not fun. But if you can get some local SC guys to lets say drive to the shootout together. Or even pick up a car or two on the way it becomes a fun trip. Same for Carlisle.

If anyone wants to improve on getting people to go that's the way. And your car does not need to be show/race ready. Thats only a part of these events. We had over 40 people at Olive Garden dinner and not even 20 cars showing this year. That's dedication!

Back