View Poll Results: What prohibits you from attending an Event

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cost to attend (gas/food/hotel/entry fees)

2 3.70%
  • Cars not road Worthy

2 3.70%
  • Distance to event too far away

25 46.30%
  • Not a Show Car / Not a Race Car

1 1.85%
  • Combination of all the above

14 25.93%
  • New - Didn't know events exsisted

1 1.85%
  • None - Attend events annually

9 16.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What prohibits you from attending an Event?

Quote Originally Posted by XR7 Dave View Post
    I think a lot of people miss out because they think their cars aren't worthy, or aren't worthy yet. This is a sad mistake because your stuff will never be "good enough" and it will never be finished. You should attend events for inspiration! Plus, if you actually meet other SC owners you'll find you get a lot more help with your project. People are more likely to lend a hand if they know who you are.
    I was somewhat embarrassed to bring my car to the last Shootout because it was just thrown together before my move to STL. For weeks before the Shootout I was worried you guys would see all of the things still wrong with it and think "what a looser". It was the exact opposite feeling after the Shootout. Dave is right, I was truly inspired and went home with info, tips, and ideas.... as well as SC fever. I'll be back again with a bunch more things wrong with my car.
    SCCoA Member#: 847
    Jacob Royer Fan Club Member #: 1

I can't tell you how many events I've attended and drove my TL. I go just to hang with everyone and have a good time! It's really the people the make the events. . . There is NO one in this group (That I know of) that would ever look down on someone or their car. Anyone putting some effort in (Or not!) is absolutely welcome, no matter what their car looks or runs like.

And Tim missed the one item on the list for me. Time. Sometimes it's hard to get away. I most likely won't be able to do the shootout (AGAIN) this year as it falls on our 10 year anniversary. Somehow a weekend in Kentucky isn't on the wife's list of destinations. Odd. . .

Distance. I can always make the time and its never about the money however driving 14 hours racing my car and then potentially breaking it is a real issue with me. So the shootout just doesn't have the allure for me. Its strange because I'm so not a show car guy. I like the Carlisle event because I appreciate the time spent with fellow enthusiasts. Id honestly not go to Carlisle anymore if it weren't for the SCCOA and the guys i've met over the years (although you are all getting old and cant hang anymore).

That being said I did enjoy my time at the shootout and meeting people I hadn't met yet and I do see myself attending again but I wont be racing. That's for sure.
    They don't call me "SLOWPOKE" for nothin!
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=110
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    I love the filter. Its pimp. paper element and 10Mircron filtration, 12" long cause size matters.

One thing Id also like to mention. Getting there is half the fun. When I went to the shootout it was me and Tom Downs. Now if he had his car and we were cruising both cars there even more fun. Get 4 or 5 cars and its a cruise. That's how I do Carlisle. A group of us local people cruise together (not all SC's of curse). When Carlisle was at its heyday all of the various groups would cruise out together. Even the Canadians!....It was awesome. Driving 14 hours or so alone is not fun. But if you can get some local SC guys to lets say drive to the shootout together. Or even pick up a car or two on the way it becomes a fun trip. Same for Carlisle.

If anyone wants to improve on getting people to go that's the way. And your car does not need to be show/race ready. Thats only a part of these events. We had over 40 people at Olive Garden dinner and not even 20 cars showing this year. That's dedication!
    They don't call me "SLOWPOKE" for nothin!
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=110
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    I love the filter. Its pimp. paper element and 10Mircron filtration, 12" long cause size matters.

I just started doing sccoa stuff and im trying to make all the events I can. For everyone that thinks there car isnt nice enough...just look at mine . I took it to carlisle and its missing most of its paint and has a smashed in quarter panel and a wicked exhaust leak . Im even driving hundreds of miles to make it to shootout . What day and where is the summer bash at? Im going to try to make it to that one!

Quote Originally Posted by philstad28 View Post
    I just started doing sccoa stuff and im trying to make all the events I can. For everyone that thinks there car isnt nice enough...just look at mine . I took it to carlisle and its missing most of its paint and has a smashed in quarter panel and a wicked exhaust leak . Im even driving hundreds of miles to make it to shootout . What day and where is the summer bash at? Im going to try to make it to that one!

http://www.mamn12.com/forum/index.php?topic=1472.0

That will give you the details on Summer Blast in Martinsburg WV, its a nicely organized event and is exclusive to the MN12/FN10 , Foxbody Birds/Cats... its a good show and typically has a 15-20 car turnout.

-Tim
    Current Collection
    1994 Thunderbird SC - Auto converted to 5spd

1995 Thunderbird SC - Auto

1994 Thunderbird SC - 5spd
    1989 Thunderbird SC - 5spd - Daily Driver
    1990 Thunder/Cougar XR7 - 5spd
    1994 Thunderbird SC - 3v Project

Don't forget the car craft street machine nationals in duqoin IL its coming up next weekend!

Here's an idea - have someone who is good with photoshop - I volunteer Sally for this - - to make up a banner add for each of the events. Whoever is actively planning to attend or has details on an event can forward the details to her (or the person making up the ads) and then they can be posted up and rotated into the banner schedule for up to - say - 6 months prior to an event. The banner add could be linked to a sticky thread in the events forum or something like that.

A visual ad would be much more effective in garnering enthusiasm and participation than just a date on a calendar. At least I think so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

Here's an idea - have someone who is good with photoshop - I volunteer Sally for this - - to make up a banner add for each of the events. Whoever is actively planning to attend or has details on an event can forward the details to her (or the person making up the ads) and then they can be posted up and rotated into the banner schedule for up to - say - 6 months prior to an event. The banner add could be linked to a sticky thread in the events forum or something like that.

A visual ad would be much more effective in garnering enthusiasm and participation than just a date on a calendar. At least I think so.
    We actually did this for last year's shootout (And we should turn that ad back on shortly.) Never thought of this for Carlisle. . .

Thats a great idea - also could put the "event flyer" on the club Facebook Photos section...at times it feels like were two seperate groups with the social media channel having a lot of focus who really do not use the forums.

I see the Shootout Ad at the top of the page now - a Carlilse one would be sweet.

-Tim
    Current Collection
    1994 Thunderbird SC - Auto converted to 5spd

1995 Thunderbird SC - Auto

1994 Thunderbird SC - 5spd
    1989 Thunderbird SC - 5spd - Daily Driver
    1990 Thunder/Cougar XR7 - 5spd
    1994 Thunderbird SC - 3v Project

Distance.... which has a direct impact on: Road Worthiness, Cost, and Available Time.

Thomas

A few things WORK, WORK, WORK, and no time now I don't have a job after X-mas my mine is closing (and now it will be money LOL!)

It makes sense to chose a place whereever you have the highest concentration of Thunderbirds, I'm always amazed how much thunderbird SC activity I see in the North, North East and florida. Unfortunately, the time it takes to get there is the issue for most of us. Carlisle is a 19 hours drive, 4 days round trip to get there and back.

The shoutout is a 12 hours drive. I have been wanting to go for a few years and I will. It is still a long way, but I can do the drive in one day instead of two.

I think a location halfway between the center states and the East coast would most likely attract a few more people

Distance to the Shoutout in KY

Kansas city KS 606
    Dallas TX 896
    Oklahoma OK 850
    Portland ME 1000
    Cleveland OH 365
    Chicago Il 385
    Orlando Fl 815
    New Orleans LA 760
    Check out my 1993 White Auto SC page for video on how to ..
    1990 35th anniversary SC restoration project
    1990 Blue Auto SC

Events

Has there ever been a Road Course event as a part of an SCCoA event? I am usually doing H.P.D.E.'s........meeting other owners is nice, but honestly speaking.....after road course...drag racing is boring now.