Exhaust - Dynomax VT Series Mufflers

Tim Groth

SCCoA Member
Has anyone given these a try.

http://www.dynomax.com/dynomax-vt-dual-offset-centered.html

I just picked one up on Summit to replace the Flowmaster res on my car. The Flow master I got from AAP was single 3” inlet w/ 2.5” dual outlet …It has an arrow on the case pointing to show that’s how the flow should go…needless I needed 2.5” dual inlet to a single 3” outlet. So it was installed in reverse. Co-workers I trust at AAP said, it will work fine, no problems, install it. Well they were wrong. I should have stuck with my instincts that the flow direction was listed for practical purposes.

Also ever since it’s been installed the underside of my car has been SUPER HOT – this is because that restricted flow is basically making the resonator like an oven. Last night while driving something in it must have finally gave up for it sounds horrible, similar to an exhaust leak however there isn’t one present. Also I kept smelling something that reminded me of burnt breaks or metal – yeah that would be it.

Thinking more on it, this would be why on the HRPT when I parked my car, we all moved away from it for it was radiating heat. ...Good ole' hindsight.

Anywho, any reviews of this muffler or am I the first to give it a try?

-Tim

Ive heard a lot of good things about the vt mufflers and how they dont give drone. I thought about putting some on my sc myself. Id go for it and see how it sounds :cool:

Dynomax VT

Tim,

Check this out from sc91gt.

Ok, listen!
First exhaust I installed, 2 1/4" down pipes, no cats into 2.5" dual in/out magnaflow X resonator, true dual 2.5" pipes into large case known to drone magnaflows I bought from fellow inmate. Drone got to me. Horrible in back ok in front. Car sounded good inside but not good outside. Year later I get back to WA to my best friend/ exhaust guy. The 2.5 dual in/out magna res is hollow, blown out. Done. So we try single res per side into x pipe. Only slightly less drone and car sounds like a goose with its head in a vise. So I think, its the mufflers. They started the drone. Research turned up the dynomax vt series mufflers. Bought them and installed they are awesome! A year later NO DRONE! Car sounds good inside and out! The same gear head friend who said my bird sounded like a goose with its head in a vise, said it sounded good with my current set up. He's a ford guy with a 800hp stang and tuned my stang so he knows his stuff.
So current set up is 2 1/4 down pipe, no cats into single 2.5 magnaflow res' per side, to 2.5 true dual pipes, to dynomax VT mufflers for 4-6cyl. It is ~~~~ing nice! I will do an exhaust clip for you if you like. No drone! And sounds good!

Tim,

Check this out from sc91gt.

Ok, listen!
First exhaust I installed, 2 1/4" down pipes, no cats into 2.5" dual in/out magnaflow X resonator, true dual 2.5" pipes into large case known to drone magnaflows I bought from fellow inmate. Drone got to me. Horrible in back ok in front. Car sounded good inside but not good outside. Year later I get back to WA to my best friend/ exhaust guy. The 2.5 dual in/out magna res is hollow, blown out. Done. So we try single res per side into x pipe. Only slightly less drone and car sounds like a goose with its head in a vise. So I think, its the mufflers. They started the drone. Research turned up the dynomax vt series mufflers. Bought them and installed they are awesome! A year later NO DRONE! Car sounds good inside and out! The same gear head friend who said my bird sounded like a goose with its head in a vise, said it sounded good with my current set up. He's a ford guy with a 800hp stang and tuned my stang so he knows his stuff.
So current set up is 2 1/4 down pipe, no cats into single 2.5 magnaflow res' per side, to 2.5 true dual pipes, to dynomax VT mufflers for 4-6cyl. It is ~~~~ing nice! I will do an exhaust clip for you if you like. No drone! And sounds good!

Nice Find, thanks for sharing. I hope the same will be said with it located in the resonator location.

Currently with my 3 week old Flowmaster (baskwards install) the car sounds like an old '70 truck with a 460 and a massive exhaust leak...giant turd for sure. I can't for Summit to deliver it to my door so I can have it installed.

-Tim

Keep me posted on your results because I'm trying to decide what exhaust set-up I want to go with on mine.

Paul

Just to report - have this muffler now installed in my system as a resonator - have to say I am extremely pleased. Has a nice idle note and then at wideopen throttle its screams just like it should.

No drone and no complaints at this point.

My Exhaust setup is Kooks Mid length 2.5" dual - 3" out of re / back to 2.5. OE mufflers for now. It's pretty quiet when need be and then loud when need be too. Soon to upgrade the mufflers to something more throaty. Probably OE mustang GT mufflers since I've heard good things.

-Tim

Tim, are you still happy with these? I bought a pair from Advanced Auto for $140 shipped, and took them to my exhaust shop this morning. He didn't have time today to do it, but he did mention tha last time he installed these (though it was on a street rod) the owner promptly had them removed because there was a terrible rattle can sound coming from them as the internal valve flap opened and closed as his exhaust pulsed at idle.

Now I'm checking reviews around the internet, and while most are positive, ALL of the negative reviews say the same thing about the valve sound...

Tim, are you still happy with these? I bought a pair from Advanced Auto for $140 shipped, and took them to my exhaust shop this morning. He didn't have time today to do it, but he did mention tha last time he installed these (though it was on a street rod) the owner promptly had them removed because there was a terrible rattle can sound coming from them as the internal valve flap opened and closed as his exhaust pulsed at idle.

Now I'm checking reviews around the internet, and while most are positive, ALL of the negative reviews say the same thing about the valve sound...

I read the same reviews as you had on the rattle which was what started the thread here. As for my exhaust I have no complaints whatsoever with the muffler I listed. When the car idles its rather quiet yet at wide open throttle it screams its so loud. I do have to go back and get some more work done at the muffler shop for their work rattles, not so much the muffler itself. Also might be just marketing but it shows the muffler flows more than the other brands offering the same....i.e MagnaFlow and Borla.

The quiet at idle/low RPMs makes it certainly enjoyable to go wide open throttle when passing walkers or kids on bikes, they jump out of their skin :D.

-Tim

Tim, I know it's an older thread but I'm planning on pulling the resonator soon and was curious how that Dynomax was holding up for you ??
Did you end up replacing the stock mufflers with the Mustang GT's ??

Tim, I know it's an older thread but I'm planning on pulling the resonator soon and was curious how that Dynomax was holding up for you ??
Did you end up replacing the stock mufflers with the Mustang GT's ??

Works fine and as advertised. Granted my car has averaged less than 1k miles a year since installed. I really enjoy how its as quiet as expected at idol and then very loud/flows when go WOT.

No complaints...mufflers are still on this list also, cars been riding jack stands for about a year for some upgrades.

-Tim

Back