New modded '94 SC owner & memeber

Silence*

Hey everyone, just figured I'd stop in and see what I can learn about my "new" SC I'm picking up after work tomorrow. I'm used to my Japanese ricers after having owned a few boosted JDM cars ('94 WRX & '92 Soarer), and I currently drive a '05 RSX, so it'll be interesting getting into some American muscle lol. Anyways I snagged this '94 SC for $1,300 with 214,000KM mostly cause the body is in rough shape, but under the hood lies a few goodies. It has a 4.2L Crankshaft, ported heads, cams, smaller super charger pulley, electric fan conversion, new valve cover gaskets, straight piped exhaust (with resonator), upgraded clutch, short throw shifter & oem 8.8 28 spline rear end with trac lock. Otherwise from what I can tell its fully loaded with sunroof, leather, JBL Stereo with 10 cd stacker (still has the oem tape deck!), keyless entry pad, some fancy 90's car phone etc...

Immediate plans for it once I get it home is to give it a good mechanical once over. From looking at it before the weekend I know these areas need to be looked at;

- power steering pump needs to be replaced as it almost stalls out the car when turning at a standstill
- the boost gauge is a little wonky which may have something to do with a small hose popping out in the engine bay or an actual boost leak
- AC is disconnected, but I may just leave it like that
- fuel filler door popper doesn't work in center console
- full interior detail (steam cleaning is a must)
- new windshield
- remove old purple tint and redo properly

Once I know its mechanically fine, I may bring it out to a few local drift events I attend every week and maybe the street legal drags for kicks just till the end of summer. I'd like to do suspension work (rebuild front end & lower it), get some new wheels and repaint oem ones and upgrade the headlights (retrofit projectors & HID's). Body work will hopefully happen sometime next year after I get a dedicated drift car.

Here's some quick snaps, I'll take better ones once she's home and cleaned up a bit.

bird20140627_192258_zps7bdf1ae6.jpg

bird20140627_192248_zps13838524.jpg

birdIMG_0687_zpsae7bed87.jpg

Congratulations, theses can be fun cars once the kinks are all worked out. You may already no this but there's one cam in the valley and these cars came with electric fans. To be more specific 89-93 SC's came with a single two speed fan behind the radiator in the engine compartment and 94 95 SC's came with two fans, one behind the radiator in the engine compartment and one on the front side of the AC condenser. Some say that the engine compartment fan on 94 95 SC's is a two speed fan also but I have owned my 94 since 94 and my 95 since 97 and I have never heard the engine compartment fan on either car run at more than one speed.

Nice score, especially considering the mods. The interior looks to be n pretty good shape, but that body looks rough! Looking at the visible rust on the right quarter, I would pull the rear ground effects off to see how bad the rust is behind that, if you haven't done so already.

Either way, welcome to the world of american cars and positive displacement blowers! It's a lot of fun!

Also, any pics of that old WRX? I always liked the subies from that era, and I used to have a couple SVX's, which I loved but sold mainly because all the parts were made of unobtainium and unicorn blood. One of these days, I would like to build an RS coupe with a WRX motor, but the price on a decent one around here is still sky high, and I have too many other projects going on, so that is going to be a while.

Thanks for the info guys!

^ I'd love to pick up another one sometime, was a great little car!
28808_10150204478100722_6049541_n.jpg

I picked up the bird today and took her for a good solid shakedown run. Found out the PCV valve hose likes to pop out so I ziptied it in place for now, but she sometimes stalls out cause of this. She runs a little hot sometimes but cools off quickly, so just to be safe I want to put in a new thermostat. Need to upgrade the lighting for sure, one of the fogs burnt out and the stock headlights suuuuuck. She could use a good base tune as well, gonna talk to some local tuners to see what they can do for me.

I've got my mechanical work cutout for me, but its mostly small things a few nights in the garage wont fix. Otherwise everything else works great, rear end locks up hard, stereo still sounds good, transmission shifts smooth. Compared to my lowered RSX, this thing rides like a boat and just loves to putz around town in low lazy revs in low gears. Its nice to be able to roll into it and actually go somewhere with very little effort - yay for waves of torque! Exhaust has a nice sound to it, pretty quiet at idle and has a nice deep tone to it in low revs, but it barks at anything over 3 grand. It ruffles my friends feathers and puts a smile on my face which makes me happy. Its a nice mix of what I wanted in a car after the RSX.

Wise suggestion to pull the side skirts, you may be shocked at what you find, I hope not, but these girls rot BAD down the quarter panels under the skirt as well as underneath where the skirts bolt up to under the quarters. Beware that the clip strip the effects snap down into may be rotted and I don;t know where to get them anymore. I got some years ago from Ford for a 90's stang, had to be cut and fit but they worked.

Good deal for all the other goodies on it.

One of my old cars

That is one of my old cars that I picked up in Calgary a couple years ago. Engine was very new when I bought the car. I never registered it. I sell parts for these cars too if you need any. I just moved to Ardrossan. Give me a call at 780 819-4485
John

I did a search for "shifter rebuild" and somehow this thread came up on the list. IN any case, good luck with the car! I just bought one the same color.

PS. That phone option is pretty rare. If you ever want to get rid of the gauge surround panel with the phone buttons, do let me know!

Back