Top alternator bolt

JasonMiller94SC

Ok, So I'm working on this ladies 95SC and the last time someone replaced the alternator the lost the top bolt so they drilled out the threads and used a nut and bolt to hold it on. Now I'm replacing it again and I'm trying to do it right. So I take the top bolt to the hardware store and measure it and it's a 10 x 1.5. I find what I need. Test both the stock and new bolt with a 10 x 1.5 nut and it threads up on both fine. Get home. Damn new bolt won't thread into the alt! Stock one goes right in but the new one won't fit.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement bolt so I can do this job right for her?

That's odd. Still, either it's the right size or it's not. The only thing I can think of, is the stock bolt slightly tapered toward the end? You could maybe modify a new bolt on a bench grinder if that is the case.

Edit:
I think, upon further reflection, that it's not tapered. It has no threads on the bottom 1/4" or so. Like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-99-Ford-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b6952134&vxp=mtr

So I guess you could either grind off a few threads, or if you have the right tap, you could tap all the way through the alternator case.

Last edited:
Use the stock bolt and put a heli-coil insert in the accessory bracket to restore it to it's original threaded configuration.

The stock bolt that I tested was off my wife's 94 SC. She's not going to be happy if I steal her bolt to put on the other car.

I did try putting a taper on the new bolt but it still won't go through on any car.

I'll try to find a thread where someone is parting out a car and see if anyone will give up the stock bolt. For now I just took an old intake manifold bolt I had and slide it through the alt and put a nut on the other side. Keeps it in place good enough to allow me to move the car in and out of the driveway.

I've still got O2 sensors to install so at least now I can drive it up on the ramps.

Just take the bolt from the 94 to the hardware store with you and get the correct bolt. If its not at the hardware store then go to a fastener store and get the correct bolt, would one of these options work for you? Ryan at the Thunderbird SC shop has the hardware you need.

I did take the stock bolt to the store. It measured at 10x 1.5 I got a matching nut and it threaded all the way up. I then found a new bolt took the nut off the stock bolt and it threaded all the way up on the new bolt as well. Got the new one home and it won't thread into the alternator on either car. Stock bolt works fine on both. I can't figure it out so I'm just going to find someone parting out a car. blows my mind that the nut will thread up both bolts all the way but only one of the bolts will work on the Alternator.

Back