Things You Can Do Without an EEC Tune ?

Les Borda

Refresh my memory guys please.

One can do the following without an EEC tune ?

36lb injectors from 30
70-73MM throttle body and MAF
75mm TB and MAF?
5-10% overdrive blower pulley

I had this stuff on the XR7 minus the 36lb injectors, I can't remember if you need a 36lb sampling tube on the MAF or not.

Yes
Yes
?
Yes

...there are things you _should also_ do in at least one or more of those (collective) examples, but a tune isn't automatically one of them.

Refresh my memory guys please.

I had this stuff on the XR7 minus the 36lb injectors, I can't remember if you need a 36lb sampling tube on the MAF or not.

If you change the injectors and you don't want to do a tune then you need a different sampling tube. The different sampling tube causes the MAF signal to be scaled for the larger injectors so the car won't over fuel.

I'd be very tempted to replace the fuel pump and fuel filter at the same time you upgrade injectors. Unless that pump has been changed recently it is due to be changed.

Thanks Mike I had the fuel pump in mind go to a 195 or 255(I think). I doubt my son will go past the 36lb injectors that were on 91-95's....not my money so it;s his call :D

Hard to find 36lb ones, on the US board a fellow has 6 all cleaned and tested for $120 but don;t think he will ship to Canada.

I don;t know where Bill at SC Performance is coming from saying BBK 70mm TB's are obsolete, they are all over Ebay brand new and from BBK themselves. 70mm MAF is a little harder to find, there are BBK ones on a Canadian auto parts online store. Someone must have a used one somewhere with the module

Last edited:
Thanks Mike I had the fuel pump in mind go to a 195 or 255(I think). I doubt my son will go past the 36lb injectors that were on 91-95's....not my money so it;s his call :D

Hard to find 36lb ones, on the US board a fellow has 6 all cleaned and tested for $120 but don;t think he will ship to Canada.

I don;t know where Bill at SC Performance is coming from saying BBK 70mm TB's are obsolete, they are all over Ebay brand new and from BBK themselves. 70mm MAF is a little harder to find, there are BBK ones on a Canadian auto parts online store. Someone must have a used one somewhere with the module

Shipping injectors to Canada should be easy using priority US mail. The BBK 70MM you are finding may have the mustang linkage on them. The SC linkage is SC specific. have you tried David Dalke yet? 195 is a decent upgrade for a fuel pump, the point being they do get tired so the one you have wouldn't hurt to replace.

I think there was also a 75mm version for the SC at one time. That may be the obsolete one. The 1994-1995 Mustang GT one is very similar, if I recall correctly, but the throttle arm is different.

Good Ol XR7 Dave , great guy met him a couple of times.

I haven't messaged Dave yet, I should though.

The 70mm BBK throttle bodies I have been looking at are for SC's and XR7's, I wouldn't dare try one for a Stang.

Question of the day, say I get my hands ona used Ford 70mm MAF set for 30lb injectors, (the 94-95 mafs are for 36-ers). Can one change the sampling tube when need to 36lbs using a BBK sampling tube?

Question of the day, say I get my hands ona used Ford 70mm MAF set for 30lb injectors, (the 94-95 mafs are for 36-ers). Can one change the sampling tube when need to 36lbs using a BBK sampling tube?

The stock Ford MAFs do not have a replaceable sampling tube. So, no.

Can one use a 75mm PP model 1600 for tbird without an EEC tune??

Not wild about their install instructions when they start talking about removing and replacing the EGR valve,, or maybe that is for the Mustangs. The BBK 70mm I had I do not remember anything with the EGR valve, only by passing the water cooling junk on the original TB.

Can one use a 75mm PP model 1600 for tbird without an EEC tune??

Not wild about their install instructions when they start talking about removing and replacing the EGR valve,, or maybe that is for the Mustangs. The BBK 70mm I had I do not remember anything with the EGR valve, only by passing the water cooling junk on the original TB.

It might be better to make a couple of adjustments in the tune, but I think it would be okay.

You will not need to mess with EGR to swap the TB on these cars. You will need a short piece of hard hose to bypass the throttle body warming coolant passage (if your car came with it, which some years did not).

Thank you my friend he has it for a reasonable price $120 Canadian. I was just worried 75mm might be too much but later on one is always sorry they didn't go bigger up front.

FYI I had 238,000kms on my 90 Cougar when I had to trash it. (148,000 miles)

Back