'91 Seats??

Pearl93sc

Looking at a '91 SC MINUS all the seats.

I really don't know much about the SCs.

I have a '97 LX Sport that we've owned for over 16 years (second owners)

My question is ARE the FRONT seats different from LX model to SC?

I understand there was (an option??) fold-down rear seat for the SCs.......is this true?

IF so I'm guessing the REAR will be hard to find.....

Thanks for any info.

Front seat mounts should be the same across '89~ 95, at least, I think. Not sure if the wiring is there for all the features.

Some SCs came with 60/40 rear splits that fold down, yes. My '90 Anny has that configuration. Not sure if any MN12 has the same mount points and capture brackets for the upper releases, tho. Note I've seen both cloth and leather seats, but only leather w/fold down - don't forget the bolster that runs around the seat backs.

I seem to recall that some MN12s had fold down center arm rest in the rear?

Last edited:
My 92 has the fold down arm rest in the rear and my 93 has the fold down rear seat. I believe the fold down seats require a right and left set of brackets behind the seat for support. These brackets are removable. Not sure if the bolt holes are in the cars with just the fold down arm rest. 92 has cloth interior and the 93 is leather, not sure if that makes the difference.

The rear fold down seats are only available with the factory leather interiors. I have never seen rear fold down seats with anything but full leather.

Well from what I read xr7's had fold down fabric.

Maybe the Mercury XR-7 was slightly different, never owned 1.
The T-Birds on the other hand ONLY had rear fold downs with Full Leather interiors.
This I can attest to 100 percent as I have owned at least 20 Super Coupes, still have 7 of them.

Maybe some XR-7 owners can chime in here and clarify if this is a true or not. It would be interesting to find out for sure.

Last edited:
From what I've seen, all seats from an MN12 - whether an LX or SC, power or non power - are interchangeable. If you put a fold down rear seat in a car that didn't originally have it, you need the L brackets.

XR7s did come with a cloth fold down rear seat option.

From what I've seen, all seats from an MN12 - whether an LX or SC, power or non power - are interchangeable. If you put a fold down rear seat in a car that didn't originally have it, you need the L brackets.

XR7s did come with a cloth fold down rear seat option.

All mounting is the same 89-97 For all Thunderbird/Cougar/Mark VIII - Wiring harnesses are different on the later years and the Mark is completely different entirely. Pigtails are easily adapted to work. I want to say the '96/'97 models changed the Male and female ends so for instance the Motor is a male connection on 89-95 and 96'97 its a Female connection...or something like that. Otherwise its a simply swap.

Fold Down rear is most common in Leather - Cloth Fold Down was an option and I do have in the Cougar XR7 I own.

-Tim

Guys, Thanks VERY much for the replies!! I have no idea what the car I'm looking at had for interior originally.
Seems weird that the car was undergoing a restoration when the person passed away......all seats seem to be missing.....weird.......
At least I know I can get seats from a common LX model and have reupholstered for the SC.

Back