Thread: 95 brake master cylinder removal and install help

95 brake master cylinder removal and install help

I need to replace my master and I'm really interested to hear tips and options in doing so....thanks in advance also its abs 2port
    Last edited by Subliminal Trix; 07-17-2014 at 04:17 AM. Reason: left info out

Just a small tip, get a Haynes Manual for Thunderbird 89-97 or Chiltons, they are a big help.

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal Trix View Post
    I need to replace my master and I'm really interested to hear tips and options in doing so....thanks in advance also its abs 2port
    I have done this at least twice, best advice I could give you is :
    1. PB Blast the lines and nuts @ the Master, give it time to soak in.
    2. Use a Line Wrench on the brake lines and BE CAREFULL, sometimes they like to twist and kink.
    3. the 2 nuts holding the master to the booster are a no brainer.
    4. BENCH BLEED the master BEFORE putting it back on, this will save you a lot bleeding of the brake system later on.

By the way, the ONLY service manual worth a darn on these cars is the Ford Factory manual that can be bought on Ebay.

Agreed the Haynes one stinks I'm sorry I got it from Amazon. I am certain it has less information in it now that I have needed it than the version i had back in early 2000.

I bench bleed the system and everything seems fine until the car starts then the pedal goes to the floor without touching it...bad booster?

I bench bleed the system and everything seems fine until the car starts then the pedal goes to the floor without touching it...bad booster?
    I think there is a valve on the back side of the booster called an air inlet valve. Sounds like it is not working properly. (If I just made this up and anyone knows better, please correct me! )
    God bless!!!

Former Birds:
    1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~225,000 miles ... Sold.
    1990 SC auto ... white outside, gray cloth inside ... ~150,000 miles ... wrecked.
    1989 Base auto ... Crystal Blue metallic outside, dark blue inside ... ~160,000 miles ... Sold.

I just re-read your post and it has me wondering - after bench bleeding the MC, did you bleed the system on the car at all? I can imagine there might be air in there, unless you capped everything tightly while the MC was out.
    God bless!!!

Former Birds:
    1990 SC auto ... white outside, gray cloth inside ... ~150,000 miles ... wrecked.
    1989 Base auto ... Crystal Blue metallic outside, dark blue inside ... ~160,000 miles ... Sold.

Its not the booster, usually when they go bad you have no power assist at all.
    Check the valve at the booster, that is more likely the problem.

Hey just noticed you in NW Florida, where exactly you located ?
    I am in Cantonment.

Quote Originally Posted by 1994blkbirdsc View Post
    Usually, but not always. What if the diaphragm is still fine but the booster hub is cracked, or there is a problem with the internal valves?

But I think the line bleeding question needs to be addressed.
    God bless!!!

Former Birds:

Yes I bled the entire brake system...I have found the issue and it was the check valve...thanks guys for all the advice

Quote Originally Posted by 1994blkbirdsc View Post

Hey just noticed you in NW Florida, where exactly you located ?
    I am in Cantonment.
    I'm in pensacola...so very close to you

I'm in pensacola...so very close to you
    Cool we should get together and talk cars. may be go cruising
    Angelo.