My pretty serious build results

Such a good looking SC.

What did E85 enable this build to achieve when compared to running pump gas?

Wait...this isn't an SVO block? I didn't think a stock SC block would hold up to that much power!

This is a stock sc block, full water, no funny business, not even a girdle.

And on a serious note Tom, I dont think Id have the balls to pull it over 20psi with pump gas, really Id probably leave it at the 16psi 470rwhp setting. I plan to try 28psi a good ways down the road and definitely never over 30. So you could say e85 has comfortably allowed me to increase boost 10+ psi over pump gas. However this is what works on my car and could be totally different in other applications. Its really an incredible fuel, you have the octane increase as well as the larger volume cooling the intake charge, and on top of that added volume you can run it richer w/o sacrificing power. WOT pulls were a dead ~~~ flat 11.0-11.1afr. And did I mention it was $2.59 a gallon :p

Last edited:
Cool. I think we are going to be pushing the limits of pump gas in my build. Corn gas is not available in Canada but the idea of it is pretty neat.

Any plans on getting some traction? :cool:

Cool. I think we are going to be pushing the limits of pump gas in my build. Corn gas is not available in Canada but the idea of it is pretty neat.

Not this year, Im done spending money. I just want to enjoy the car, It has pirelli corsa systems on it, 50 treadwear. I can tell its going to destroy them. I have a nifty idea tho that may help it hook, we'll see, not letting the cat out of the bag on that one just yet, I can tell you it isnt tires though.

How does the car feel driving around? Does the turbo setup give you a good mid-range power band?

However this is what works on my car and could be totally different in other applications. Its really an incredible fuel, you have the octane increase as well as the larger volume cooling the intake charge, and on top of that added volume you can run it richer w/o sacrificing power. WOT pulls were a dead ~~~ flat 11.0-11.1afr. And did I mention it was $2.59 a gallon :p

The studies I found and continue to find show that E85 will burn with a faster flame front at a richer lambda than that of premium gas and most common race fuels. Thus at richer lambda values timing limited motors should be able to advance timing due to the shorter time E85 allows for detonation to occur (regardless of the other benefits of cooling and increased octane) Detonation requires a minimum time span for combustion for it to occur. Burn off the fuel/air faster than that, and detonation never has a chance to occur. See this very nice document from Ford: http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/03/f12/ft_12_agarwal.pdf
Not much text but the pictures are interesting when looking at the flame images. Note they are discussion current generation engine designs with direct injection. So their results are somewhat skewed away from the potentials for our motors.

Tom ethanol is available in Canada, at least Ontario..now not easy to find, stations like UPI have it and minor name ones. Quite ridiculous seeing as Chatham Ontario has a massive ethanol plant and the farmers haul in corn by the ton.

Mike two reasons in cant answer that. 1. I drove home in the rain, 2. the pump was locked in the low position for the ride home. Since I only use Ti dyno for tuning, we were able to pull graphs from my past two setups.

The first being all stock intake manifolds, upper and lower, and stock exhaust manifolds and 62mm turbo stock heads and insanely sissy cam.

The second being, the current tubular headers, stock lower, custom upper, and 67mm turbo, stock heads and insanely sissy cam.

And the most recent build, with the probably the meanest cam in a sc on the road today

In terms of spool, the most recent build fell in 2nd place, spooling quicker than it did the past couple years.

Heres the dyno chart, wheel spin is noticable between 4400-4900 rpm. ACT's started the timing reduction at 5300 and the throttle was lifted when spark blew. By the end of the pull I think we neared 3 degrees of timing retard, which is why power was falling off right before spark blow out.

Attachments

• 2014-08-18_14.27.50.jpg
    2014-08-18_14.27.50.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Looks good. An auto car I assume. I am a big fan of the positive displacement torque curve, but you have to smile when seeing your curve as well, especially how high it goes. you'll have to let us know how it feels once you get some time to drive it more.

It's a stick car......

o.k. well not too bad. You have the TVS beat at the same torque and RPM but that run was started a bit later in the rpm range. Probably giving up about 200lb ft of torque down around 2500 rpm vs a twin screw motor, but on your way past by 4200rpm. That may allow you a better launch with your stick vs a stick using the TVS or a twin screw (less wheel spin) though you have quite a handful once it spins up. You should check your shift points for a 1/4 run and map that against your torque and power curves. That should help you identify some optimum shift points and help with tire, wheel, and gear sizing to take full advantage of your current setup. I'm thinking with how fast you go from 4200 to 6500 you may want a shift light.:)

If this was a 4.2l the tq would be well over 700 with 640rwhp.

e85 is an incredible fuel. When I saw my friends 76mm turbo piped straight to the tb and running 115+ in the 8th I was sold right then and there lol. Just not for me though. Think I want to go with the Alky control kit and run 100% m1 like the buick turbo regals do.

Great numbers Corey! You give me something to strive for with my s366 4.3 combo.

Binks is using a manual boost controller which is a terrible thing in the turbo world. The power curve follows the boost curve, mostly, so when he gets an electronic controller (solenoid actuated) then he'll be able to ramp the boost in much quicker.

I played around with vacuum hose routing to get it to ramp in quickly and my power curve was flatlined.

You know I never knew it at the time but I had a manual boost contrtoller in my old cougar and this now seems to make sence. Never thought of it before. I was old school

I seriously doubt the graph would look much different without it installed. I still have plenty fo wastegate springs left. i could just dial it to 25-26 on spring only and then eliminate the controller. If anything, the delay in this case will help keep the tires under the car.

Back