What do you have left to do for 2014 Shootout ?

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
IMG_20140815_181521_869_zpse7c82fc7.jpg
IMG_20140815_150309_126_zpseb32f88c.jpg

IMG_20140815_190749_813_zpsf58a3373.jpg

IMG_20140816_202033_507_zps07dbfc8d.jpg

Its that time of year again!

What do you guys have left to finish?

Show off you're new mods!

Talk smack !

Last year my car performed like total dog crap! 205rwhp and 15.00ets , first thing I did when I got back was a custom fmic! This drasticly lowered my acts. But the best I could get out of the car was a 9.40 1/8th mile and it just never felt like it should. I replaced the blower injectors a few other things and nothing seemed to help plus if would always run hot 215/220f cruising no ac and it just got worse the faster you drove. Well I just parted out a 90 that had a very healthy rebuilt motor with a Morana B cam and some other goodies. With help from old_coot nmcnchief and Jeff_Bratton we yanked the motor and tranny out of my car and after some teardown made a discovery that explained a lot! My motor for reasons unknown has .035 of deck clearance which explains the huge lack of low-end tq! Also discovered cracks between the intake and exhaust valves on the front and rear driver side cylinders.

So here is what I have in store.

Tranny : rebuilt art Carr extreme
Wide ratio
Son ax a++ servo
Mechanical diode
Red alto clutches
2" od band
4r70w extension housing
4r70w yoke
31 spline billet input shaft
Art Carr OD lockout valve ody
Dirty dog billet 9" non lockup 2800 rpm coverter
Lube mod

Motor ?? Mile rebuild
Morana B cam
Ported heads
Ported manifolds
ARP head studs
S port blower w/gtp rotors
Mp inlet
Mp springs
Mp 10 rib 15% od pulley set
3.5" intake
76mm cl maf
75mm polished pp tb
#42 injectors
Walboro 255lph pump
31x12x4 fmic 2.75" pipes
Quarter horse
Wideband
3.73s
26x8.50x16 Mickey Thompson et drags

Also new for this year 17x9 staggered offset cobra R's
1.5" drop
Rebuilt suspension

I have a lot to do but it will be done! I hope to see a 13.XXX out of it this year and see no reason why I shouldn't! Anyway that's what I have going on what do you guys have left to do or have changed since last year?

Last edited:
Wow....that's a big list.

I've not yet taken my car to the track since installing the new rear end and ladder bars. I need to get a bunch of testing and seat time in before the shoot out. Hopefully everything works well and the testing doesn't lead to any major repairs. We'll see I guess........

During the Power Tour, my inline booster fuel pump started sounding pretty sick, so I'm ditching it for a 340 lph intake pump. While I'm doing that, I'm replacing all of my braided stainless steel lines with Teflon lined braided stainless hose.

Jacob, I hope Art Carr does a better job with their Extreme AODs today than they did when I had one. Didn't even last 4000 miles (actually less I think, but I'm not researching my old threads) and I hated the valve body. I think (check my old threads) it did actually lock out OD when accelerating from a stop, but otherwise it wasn't controllable like the Lentech with electronic lock-out.

During the Power Tour, my inline booster fuel pump started sounding pretty sick, so I'm ditching it for a 340 lph intake pump. While I'm doing that, I'm replacing all of my braided stainless steel lines with Teflon lined braided stainless hose.

Jacob, I hope Art Carr does a better job with their Extreme AODs today than they did when I had one. Didn't even last 4000 miles (actually less I think, but I'm not researching my old threads) and I hated the valve body. I think (check my old threads) it did actually lock out OD when accelerating from a stop, but otherwise it wasn't controllable like the Lentech with electronic lock-out.

The only thing really art car is the valve body the rest of the tranny is all the best stuff you can use and its fresh. The only unknown is the vb and it has an od lockout solenoid so I hope its on par with the lintech. If not its not the end of the world since its easy to change. Everything else is top notch in this tranny. And it has got to be better than my slipping leaking wore out stock tranny was!

All I need to do is fix a bad ground for my pillar pod gauges. Would also like to make a few test passes at the local track to make sure everything is working right.

David

PS: Shootout registration is now open.
http://www.sc-shootout.com/Registration.php

Will we be able to change classes on raceday? I'm planning on hitting the track the weekend before the shootout to see whats going on but its the 1/8th mile so i'll have to just guess on what 1/4 et im going to run.

Swap new m5r2 and 3.27 gears with auburn pro dif, do a few wot pulls to line out the fuel up top after fixing the boost leak. Wash and wax it put it on the trailer!

Tranny Rebuild

Looks like I will have to rebuild my transmission this year. It is the same one I have been running since 2006, so I guess I have gotten my money's worth from this one. Hope to start on it next weekend! Fingers crossed!

Smitty

way too much to do here...

I have so much to do around here that I have no idea as to what will get done. Some of it is out of my hands and some is just getting the time to work on it.. The one car is without a current heart and the builder said it should be done this next week if things go right... If that is a no go then it will be bring the back up car and hope it stays together... That one has been a bit of a pain of late... Oh well I just got done painting the headers and next it is blasting the engine bay and getting it ready to paint....Rich

I just have to fast forward a year to build up some vacation time at the new job. The honeymoon will be claiming every vacation day I'll earn this year. :( The car needs nothing more than a wash...was just beating on it yesterday as a matter of fact. :)

but you forgot the most....

The important part of them hitting is that they have to do it only at WOT otherwise it won't work right.... Now to do that you need those super rods that are adjustable. The new ones are radio control so you can adjust them when you are going down the track.... Matter of fact Dwayne has a set he is trying to see or give away at the next shoot out......Rich

Will we be able to change classes on raceday? I'm planning on hitting the track the weekend before the shootout to see whats going on but its the 1/8th mile so i'll have to just guess on what 1/4 et im going to run.

Yes, just take a guess at what class you will be running in when you register. After time trials and prior to qualifying pass you will have the opportunity to switch classes. All that will be covered in the Driver's meeting.

David

The important part of them hitting is that they have to do it only at WOT otherwise it won't work right.... Now to do that you need those super rods that are adjustable. The new ones are radio control so you can adjust them when you are going down the track.... Matter of fact Dwayne has a set he is trying to see or give away at the next shoot out......Rich

I need some of these adjustable rods! or just a rod stretching machine to make mine about .030 longer lol I wonder what craptastic compression ratio i have with .035 of deck clearance?

During my tranny and rear end swap I was delighted to find out my aluminum drive shaft was bent and I get to have it re tubed and balanced:D

one car is ready for the fun...got me one....

Today I spent the whole day working on one of my toys. Got the engine room all cleaned [bead blasted] and gave it a coat of paint. So to reward myself I went to a local cruise night with my 35th.. Luck would have it there was a group of svt guys there as well as a group from the local corvette club. You can only guess the comments that were going around.. Then when I was ready to leave, dead battery, you know that was just more for them to throw out there... I got it jumped and did a lap thru the lot just to have some fun... I go to leave and get down to the first light and what pulls up next to me but a 2013 GT500 with one of the smart mouths in it.. He says lets go and when that light turned green we both hit it hard... Guess what happened at the next light?? Mr. smarty pants was talking a new tune... Wow that t-bird is really fast, what all did you do?? My reply was " I had a V8 this morning" and hit it again just for the heck of it... You can bet that that GT500 will be at the dealer in the morning looking at what must be wrong with it... I would love to hear what he is going to tell his other friends when they ask about the race.. I know he was sent to find me and he did but the results were not what he was hoping for......SC 1 GT500 0 So much for that 662 hp they claim... Rich

Found out my methanol injection hasn't been working for a long time.......or ever in the white car. Have the stage 3 brain configured to open the solenoids now instead of just the pump and a leak! Installing a snow flow meter and gauge so I can monitor it from now on. If it's lucky it might get a smaller pulley and a tune before the shootout.

Red car might get nothing. If it's lucky, it will get a kenne bell blower, 80lb injectors, upgraded wiring to the fuel pump, and a tune before the shootout.

Otherwise, both cars currently run well.

Chris

Back