New to me '92SC

Autozone, RockAuto, etc. Should be pretty common, I think.

• AZ (example 1990): http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1990-Ford-Thunderbird/Rack-Pinion/_/N-igp61Z8oxk3

...$90 (says comes with mounting bushings assembly?) to $136 (both need core). Check if they include inner tie-rods.

• RockAuto is $80 ~ $125 + shipping, I guess.

Thanks Ken! When I replaced the rack in my Mark8, the cost was around $300 from rock auto. I'm glad to hear these are less expensive. Is it a bad idea to reuse the tie rods?

Sorry if I missed it...how many miles and has the suspension already been overhauled?

Will you stick with having a shop do everything?

Thanks Dave so it`s by the BAP sensor I never knew that because I`ve never had to change one.

Just my humble opinion if you can a afford it, it`s a good time to do it. If not and they check out good both inner and outer with no slop or play, re-use them. If you have a puller for outer that`s great if not use a ball pien hammer and smack around the heavy spindle socket where the outer tie rod goes, suddenly it will just release. To put it back use your torque wrench, watch out for the cotter pin that it comes out first.

Last edited:
The suspension has been gone through, but it was about 6 years back. I'll probably go ahead on the tie rods, just for peace of mind.
Thanks for posting the pic of the relay, David. I have one on its way here now. Probably next weekend I'll dive into it.

Hey guys, sorry it has taken me so long to reply with some results. I replaced the abs pump relay from the dealership this past Monday, and so far everything is working great. I haven't had to pull the power to the pump once. This strengthens my decision to find another mechanic. As for the u-joints, I'm just waiting until I have a couple days where I can jack up the car and do it myself. I just need t remember to let the fuel tank run low before I drop it and switch them out. And the steering rack bushing will have to wait a little while too, since I plan to replace the rack, sway bar links, and ball joints at the same time I pull the rack. Thanks for all your support and useful information!!

Matt

Back