New to me 1994 SC 5 speed...Teal v2.0 :)

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
I owned a fully loaded 94 Teal before but it was automatic. The car was exactly what I wanted except for the trans, so I sold it. Just my luck, I was looking at SC's on ebay after doing some reading due to another SC that has also captured my attention. As I browsed, I stumbled upon (and then bought) a 94 5speed in teal in VERY good condition just a couple weeks ago. It was a re-listed car that I had inquired about several years back...so I think I got lucky....as if it were meant to be :). I have another post for my 93 where I kinda document my recent repairs. It has helped me out keep track of what I've done to the car though the years, so I decided to do something similar with this 94 Teal.

The car is high mileage but very clean inside/out/engine and was kept very well documented. The previous owner only had it briefly and before that the car was owned by one of our own: Gary Blitzer. Needless to say, the car looks fantastic (thanks Gary!) and the service history I received is very thorough and some of the stuff dates back to when the car was quite new. Tons of OEM stuff, which is how I like it :) and how I'm currently keeping my other SC's. I drove the car for about 5 hours from right outside of Pittsburgh, over the mountains into the DC metro area, zero issues. A very comfortable ride too with the fully functioning ARC! Out of all the cars that I've owned and sat on...I always say SC seats are one of the most comfortable ones evar!

Car has JBL system with CD changer in the trunk (missing subwoofer), Keyless/remote entry, aluminum spare, sunroof and full leather interior with no rips on the rear leather seat! Another cool option i hadn't personally seen in an SC is the presence of a block heater! I discovered the plug the other day while browsing around the battery area since my battery hold down is missing (ordering an OEM Replacement next week:) ). The car even has a pretty new Motorcraft battery :cool:.

Picking up the car in PA/WV border.

and in the office a day or two later after I got tags for it

Of course, it's not without its issues...but all are small and it's stuff easy enough where I actually feel pleased to source the pieces and do the repairs.

A few missing interior pieces like center console cubby mat, magnet for cup holders, passinger light lens at the bottom of the door also

Plug for C pillar bolt

I'm pretty sure this door sensor is supposed to have a rubber covering...they're missing on both sides...anyone know the PN?

A few trim pieces could use some love

DIN console showing a bit of bubbling

Clock seems to be pushed in

Shifter boot in the console has the leather part separated. I have another one in good shape but I think I can repair this one. Shifter also is in dire need of rebuild. I've purchased the Dorman repair kit and I'll do that while I source a ripper shifter.

Some trim pieces just need to be replaced

Like the power seat switch panels which have the usual breaks

And this AC vent which was replaced in the past using a 96+ unit. THe 96+ has an unpainted "squigly" line

The correct one for 94-95 should be this one

Couple other things I've already done is remove those...um...unique...chromed tailpipe extensions, I've replace the foglight switch which had a burned up bulb and it was bothering me not seeing it at night :), I replaced the head unit which didn't have a working tape deck and I use it to plug it into my phone and hear music. Also, the pusher fan was completely missing :confused: but was just replaced today with a unit I had laying in the parts bin. Now I just have to source the electrical connector and splice it to the harness...for some odd reason the connector was cut off from the harness.

Other things needed are the antenna keeps "clicking" when the radio comes on/is turned off. I've got at least two other new antennas around the house so that will be changed. The OEM CD changer is INOP and is giving me a "CD ERROR" message...anyone know anything about this, i would greatly appreciate the input. I don't really listen to CD's that often, but it would be nice to simply know that the CD changer is working as it should. Also the trunk I think needs to be re-aligned. It closes right but you can feel that a little bit of extra force is necessary when compared to my other sc's. That is also probably the reason why I'm getting the constant Door Ajar light in the info center.

Oh, and I know the car has a steering leak that comes and goes. The previous owner topped it off when leaving and I didn't notice any leaking during the entire ride. I even had a handy helper keep an eye on things during the voyage ;)

Other smaller things that need attention are oil pressure gauge fluctuates and throws a light (probably bad sensor or lose connection)
Sunroof air deflector needs to be fixed so it raises when sunroof is open
slow sunroof when it nears the fully closed position
Driver power seat motor inop
One blown bulb in IHKA knob

A few upgrades lined up are:
ADR Kasais that I've had for at least 6 yrs are finally getting installed
Ripper shfiter
Passinger manual seat swtiched for full power seat (finally I'll put some of my grey seats to use after they've sat for years in my basement)
Reflecting "Thunderbird SC" decals in rear bumper
Installing OEM ford Daylight Running Light module
Installing OEM mat set
Installing OEM cargo net
Installing OEM Auto head lamps (just swapping headlight switch)
Installing OEM Auto dimming rearview mirror (have mirror, just want OEM harness to be plug n play without butchering cables)
And toying with the idea of installing the FRPP steering wheel with Mark VIII illuminated buttons and OEM Bullit pedals
Removing MP fresh air intake/separator and install OEM airbox

Down the line I'll probably do the head gaskets before they blow, do ARP studs and BHJ balancer. I'll probably lower it, maybe exhaust but that's about it.

Last edited:
Great looking ride. I have the same car. Sure would like to know how many 94 teal 5spd cars are out there.

Great looking ride. I have the same car. Sure would like to know how many 94 teal 5spd cars are out there.

There was a recent discussion about Marti reports for our cars. I'm thinking of getting one for my chameleon and this car to see what kind of break down we see.

Updates on a few fixes:

Fixed the shifter boot. I don't think this is the original shifter boot but I made it work. It appears to be OEM material but not 94-95 SC specific. It maybe an early style SC boot or maybe something from a SHO or Turbo Coupe. It will do for now. I also changed the knob which was in damn good shape and swapped it for a longer one I had from a SHO/TC. The slightly longer knob helps out since I can't really change the seating position until I check the electric seat. Right now it's a little too far back...too "gangsta" for my taste :). Knob was stashed away for now with my others :)

Fixed the cup holders in the center console. The magnet was missing from the old one so I just swapped the entire lid with another one I had in my parts bin. Also found a cubby mat which was missing in this car. Still need to do a more thorough clean up in that area. Will probably do so when I remove the console t install a ripper shifter...whenever that is.

Problem with the clock ended up being a broken base for the bolts. I ended up gluing it for now, but it will need to be replaced down the line. Shame because the rest of the DIN panel is in good shape, someone probably pushed on the buttons too hard and broke the base of the fastener. While I was at it, I replaced a burned bulb in the climate control unit , replaced the remaining bulb for good measure and all bulbs in the Info Center. Cruddy picture of the lighting but I remembered to take a picture as I was driving :)

Fixed the sunroof air deflector. Ended up replacing the broken pieces with some I bought from a member, but I also was lucky enough to land and OEM set which I'm keeping for future use. I think I'm going to take it apart again and do some more clean up. the bolts had this white residue. So i'll get them out, clean up and lube the tracks with Royal Purple maxifilm which doesn't leave a residue that can get hard and clumpy with age like white lithium grease does.

Replaced the C pillar bolt plug and lens on passenger door.

Installed fully working pusher fan from my parts bin and acquired the correct bolts and bushings with the metal sleeves. Also acquired the OEM connector and several inches of wiring to splice into the existing harness. Not sure why this was cut in the first place. That missing fastener for the bumper has been replaced also along with some missing fasteners in the rear bumper :).

Last edited:
While I was around the rear bumper I was pleasantly surprised to see that the car has Dynomax mufflers which explains why I thought the car had a nice rumble to it.

As I was replacing the bulbs in the footwell which were burned out, I also replaced the missing bulb in the glove box. After doing so I noticed that the bulb would not go off...which ended up being that the latch was not catching enough to close the glove box completely. Anywho, fortunately it held with glue so no need to replace just yet.

Re-glued manual fuel door pull and placed it in the correct spot in the trunk

Also ditched the generic plastic blue mats that were in there and until I get an OEM set I'm using an old set of OEM Limited Edition mats.

Last, the issue with my inop brake lights and cruise control issues were fixed. Turns out one of the two wires going to the brake switch had broken. I did a temp fix and will be replacing the entire connector with new wires.

Last edited:
Im sure Gary did a great job when he repainted that as well. My clear coat is starting to fade on my 94 teal SC on the roof and its a low mile car. As far as Im concerned everything else is a cheap and easy fix compared to paint. Im sure you got a steal on the teal!

I purchased my 94 SC new fresh off of the car hauler and I've had my 95 SC since the spring of 97 and I never knew there was a magnet on the cup holder until reading this post. Just took a look and sure enough...learn something new every day. But, I very rarely use the cup holders in my SC's.

Last edited:
Im sure Gary did a great job when he repainted that as well... Im sure you got a steal on the teal!

He sure did....and I sure did :p.

Finally got a few days off from work and had a chance to take care of a few things on the teal car, so I fired up a cigar, got some whisky and started tinkering!

Installed the missing rubber hood stops.

Replaced both battery terminals...will probably end up installing one of those quick disconnect terminals too.

Since I couldn't install a battery hold down because someone in the past broke the bolt in the base, I was going to replace the whole tray but the stupid bolt heads are stripped. Not in a huge hurry so this will get installed at some point when I feel like fiddling with those stripped bolts. The tray is also the correct 94 PN.

Fixed hood lamp....and also replaced the missing hood liner fasteners although they're still missing in the picture

Found this NOS antenna I bought some time ago and installed it, correct PN for the 94. The old antenna worked right, but was doing the few extra seconds of "clanking" noise when it expanded all the way and retracted fully. The one removed will probably go on the 93 since that one is controlled by a switch...so no more extra noise. I was glad to see that the car still had the hard plastic cover for the antenna base...that little thing is missing from most cars at this point.

Pix of the antenna base with and without the plastic cover.

I'll probably end up replacing the black metal base for the antenna down the line, since it looks a little nicked.

In the interior, I installed the missing bushing in the console.

Also got rid of my Door Ajar light by disconnecting the sensor on the passenger latch assembly. I gotta source a working unit and replace it so it works as intended.

Other things that got done were, fixed washer pump which had a corroded connection in the terminals, replaced AC vent with correct 94-95 vent, replaced trim panel behind hood release lever which was cracked.

Hoping to do some clean up and a few other things this weekend :).

Last edited:
I only have one issue--your helper. I would be keeping an eye on her. :D

Nice car! When you mentioned some things that you had to do that you didn't mind doing, I can relate to that. These cars, even in well kept condition, will have a few issues that need correcting that help to build a bond with an owner.....sweat equity.

Very nice Teal, good luck with it and enjoy! Just picked up a Teal 94 auto this year myself. Very nice helper, too! :D

shifters

Hey! You got all those 5 speed shift knobs...care to sell one maybe?? Shoot me a pm if interested! :)

Hey! You got all those 5 speed shift knobs...care to sell one maybe?? Shoot me a pm if interested! :)

Keeping those as spares my friend :) Still trying to land a brand new OEM one in the box.

It was oil change day today for the Teal car, also took some time to do some diagnostics on a few things that arose. I was able to confirm that my starter is on its way out...maybe getting stuck due to corrosion since I don't drive the car that much. Will probably replace it with a Motorcraft reman. Also was able to find a slight vacuum leak that started last week. I noticed some hiccups at low RPM range and apparently the hose from the PCV valve has a hole somewhere. More importantly, I was able to find the pesky steering fluid leak that has been plaguing the car since I purchased it. I found that the EVO sensor is the culprit so I'll be reading on how to change that...hopefully I don't need to replace the whole pump. Good day over all...and I was able to add some tasteful bling :)

Bout to get fresh oil and a fresh FL400S

Last edited:
Picked up some generic vacuum hose and replaced the hose from the PCV valve metal tube to the split near the intake tube (i guess it goes to the charcoal canister?). The split right down the middle of my old hose was my fault...it just broke while pulling it out...but the thing had two other pretty large cracks which were causing my erratic idle.

Also re-glued the door weatherstrip on both sides with this stuff. It kept sagging on me and got tired of it.

Last edited:
Spent a little time with the teal car yesterday. This region is having a couple days of AMAZING sunny but-not-so-hot weather so took advantage and did some car work.

Motorcraft starter finally installed.

While I was down there I noticed how the OEM block heater is installed. I actually had never seen it installed before.

Also while I was down there I noticed my front sway bar endlinks were toast. So I had time to run out for a front pair and get those installed.

Close up of the original nut and the one that came with the new links. Some folks in the forum said the new ones were of softer material than the OEM ones so I reused the OEM nuts.

Installed some cool Thunderbird valve stem covers in all 4 corners :)

Last for the day I removed the Magnum powers air divider and re-installed the bottom portion of the OEM air box. Gotta find a 94-95 air box & tube to install.

Over all...a very good day with the teal car.

Last edited:
So....fresh bag o' goodies and fresh bottle of Macallan...well not so fresh by the time the pic was taken :).

Was only able to get through a few things this weekend.

First and foremost...Ripper shifter instal yay!

Took out the entire center console and gauge cluster. As you can see the shifter was in very poor shape.

Out it comes and new ripper ready to go! I also found in my parts stash an old 94-95 OEM boot. It comes as heaven sent since the boot in my current console was not the original for this year...so that's going in also after all is tidied up.

Since the shifter was coming out it was perfect time to do a fluid flush. Another thing that worked out was that as I was looking in the shed I found just enough fluid for the change (penzoil bottle is about half way) so I didn't have to buy any!

Glad I did it...from the service history the last change was about 4 or 5 yrs ago...but look at this gunk in the drain plug! That large piece seems to be from some of the shifter shims.

Also replaced the DIN bezel with one in very good shape and most importantly a fully seated clock. Also replaced my maintenance monitor which has some bad contacts and the low fluid lights wouldn't come on. I installed one from an automatic car with the Trac Control because I have a little project I'm working on and will use that button :). I tried color coding the fluid lights...green for coolant, red for gas and blue for washer fluid...but the blue bulb looks green. Not sure why...may try blue LED next time around.

That was it for this weekend. Still have console and dash pieces out for a thorough cleaning. Also still working on the speedo...I replaced the gear, it worked for a couple miles but then stopped working. GOtta check it out...good thing I didn't put everything back together...i woulda been pissed.

Til next week!

Last edited:
you gotta ditch that hot air intake..make a 3in intake from black pcv pipe..its sooo simple and it routs then filter rite into the fender.cost 30 for clamps piping and all. cant beat that. plus its plastic so its doesn't get heat soaked.

you gotta ditch that hot air intake..make a 3in intake from black pcv pipe..its sooo simple and it routs then filter rite into the fender.cost 30 for clamps piping and all. cant beat that. plus its plastic so its doesn't get heat soaked.

This car is one of 820 with this engine tranny combo, I would not jack my 94 five speed up by doing something like that and I kinda doubt that Mr. CaifanSC will. These cars came with a cold air intake from the factory.

Back