This is my first supercharged car

M

Merc351

I am new here and just bought a 89 Mercury Cougar XR7, which would be the first supercharged car I ever owned. I really didn't have any intention on buying a car this weekend, but I did.:D. The guy I bought it from sold it to me for $450. The car is not the prettiest, but it is not real bad. It runs and drives, the interior is good and it is not all rusted out, don't get much that runs for what I paid for it. So my parents wanted to choke me to death when I told them I was going to look at another car,lol. They told me I am vehicle poor and didn't need to be any poorer.lol. So I asked my dad to look at it with me , when he saw it ,he said jump on it, so I did. Around eight this morning my mom shows up at my house with my dad (thinking I was going to get a good but chewing) she actually wanted to see the Cougar. Well she looks it over, then opened the door and sat right down and said good buy. Well this is my story and I am sticking to it. :D

A little bit about the car, it does need some work to the engine, it runs ok, but doesn't idle without having to give it throttle. Once the engine is reved a little bit higher than idle it smooths out. The supercharger does make some noise behind the pulley, sounds like a bearing. The car has 144,000 miles on it, the engine looks like it was dipped in a McDonalds french fryer vat, might be in need of a rebuild, will have to see.

Sounds like a good starting point! Get busy with the search button here and you will figure out where to begin pretty quickly! Good luck and enjoy!

Sounds like a good buy. One thing I would do first if you want to keep it, is have the head gaskets replaced. Every SuperCoupe I have had has never made it to 150k. They all blew head gaskets. I'm sure others will agree. If it has 144k miles, its unfortunatly not long for this world.

Back