Plastic welder for interior trim repair?

joenintiesc

Is this the best and most permanent way to repair the ridiculously fragile clips, mounting tabs, etc. on the backs of interior trim pieces?

i tried to use one before (not on car parts). I found it to be a pain... it wasnt the easiest thing to use. maybe others have had better luck

I used to patch a hole I put in my windshield cowl. It worked ok, but is still visible. For the clips on the back, I would think that it would work great....I'm disappointed that I didn't think of trying this on those mounting tabs that are out of sight. I'd put is on thick and then file it down.

Check out eastwood's hot stapler.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-GMl6J7G7R8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
looks like you could just do your own with a car battery and some paperclips really...get that thing cherry hot.

There is a good chance the Harbor Freight has something close to that for about 40. :confused:

They have a few plastic welders, but nothing that utilizes the staples as in the Eastwood kit.

I ended up using a combination of crazy glue, JB Weld plastic putty, and JB Weld two part plastic epoxy. The mounting tabs for the defroster switch broke apart into pieces (where the screws hold the switch onto the back of the panel), and the repair actually turned out quite good! This was on my 94.

Hear that.

I'm tired of trying to repair heat damaged early moonroof switch holders...you can't build up without having fitment issues. 3D printing is next on the list.

Back