Check Gauge Light

c101guy

My "Check Gauge" light has come on and is staying on. All gauges appear normal. I am having a cold start problem (see previous thread). Any ideas as to what this light refers to?

Thanks

could be a cam position sensor...you said in the other thread that you had to crank a few times to get it to go and now a check gauge light...have you pulled codes yet?

I have not. I don't have a read, would need to go to a mechanic - where do you plug in to retrieve the codes?
Thanks

also, may be a fooling question, but where is the CPS located and what is the degree of difficulty in replacing?
Thanks again

You can search on here or google EEC iv code reading with a paper clip. Cam sensor is easy to replace...above and behind water pump...couple screws.

also, may be a fooling question, but where is the CPS located and what is the degree of difficulty in replacing?
Thanks again

The trick when replacing the cam sensor is to make sure you don't double up on the orange rubber gasket for the connector. Keep track of both the old one and the new one and only use one.

The check gauge light only refers to the instrument cluster and doesn't produce any codes. The check engine light is for engine issues and produces codes. Which one is illuminated?
Mike

it was definitely the "Check Gauge" light. The only issue I have gauge wise is that I didn't reset the oil change reminder, but I've done that before without this warning light coming on - could that cause it?

The "Check Gauges" light is driven off the CG/Anti-Slosh board on the side of the instrument cluster.

If you're positive all gauges are within spec, I'd try swapping that out.

DO note that an extremely low fuel level can cause that to light up also - low oil pressure, low fuel level, high temp, and out of spec voltages all can kick that light.

RwP

Back