93 SC Build Thread

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
First off i scored a new blower!

And i finally finished a raised top for MY car :)

And after i purchased a parts car with lots of goodies i sold my current long block and its now going to bring life to a really nice low mile black on black 92 that Mike Inch purchased off of ebay.

The new setup will consist of the following

NEW 94/95 short block
Ported Heads Welded Heads w/1.86/1.60 stainless undercut valves Titanium retainers, LS1 beahive springs
Roller Rockers
.605 lift cam
ARP head Studs
MLS Gaskets

MPX
MP Springs
MP 15% od 10 rib setup

3.5" Slot Maf
MP 85mm tb

255lph Walbro
Fuel Pump relay kit
#80 Injectors

31x12x4 FMIC

Long Tube Headers
2.5" mandrel bend True Duals With X Pipe and Dynomax VT Mufflers

3.73s

Built AOD
Wide Ratio
Art Carr Extreme OD lockout VB
31 spline billet input shaft
Lube Mod
2800rpm Billet Dirty Dog Non Locking Converter

Quarterhorse
Innovate LC1 Wideband

26x9.50x16 Mickey Thompson ET Drags

Once i get it up and running again i will haul it up to madison and let the Wizard tune this thing! I hope to be deep into the 12s but you know how that goes....

Jacob how much power did your red car make with the morana B cam. I had a sim setup and it made like 316 or so at the rear wheels with an s port and stock valve ported heads

Jacob how much power did your red car make with the morana B cam. I had a sim setup and it made like 316 or so at the rear wheels with an s port and stock valve ported heads

It peaked at 4000rpm and only made 213/265 which could mainly be because of the non locking aod setup i now run. Last year it made 205/305 but would only run a 9.9 1/8th mile and with the morana cam/ported heads setup it ran 8.90s which is nowhere on par with 213rwhp I hear the Morana cam is an NA cam. The only reason i ran it was it came in the motor i put in the car before the shootout. Said motor made 265 with a stock IC and a ported early model through a direct drive AOD and ran high 13s in the car it came out of. I swapped the ported heads on and had the s port FMIC etc running it through a non lockup setup. It had stupid bottom end torque but just wouldn't do anything past 4000rpm When i purchased the converter alan told me i'd never like the dyno #s but it would perform on the track. I'm assuming the setup on a direct drive aod or a five speed would have been right at 300rwhp. A good friend with a direct drive aod who runs the same gears (3.73s) runs right at 9.0's with 275rwhp and right at 100lbs lighter race wieght than my car so it makes sense.

Stage II of the new project complete!!

First off i had to goto milford MI to pickup my new parts car. Dan had traded a guy in Cleveland a 32v cougar project for a 70k five speed. I left work at 3am friday and was running out of dan's place with the cougar by 5:30 and we made it to Cleveland and swapped cars way ahead of schedule!

Next stop was Dan Sly's place in MI where i picked up this!

We left sly's place just after dark and started having headlight switch problems on Dan's new ride (turned out to be crap radio wiring) so we called it a night

South of florence we stopped to check straps and dan headed for his place and i headed home.

I got home at 4:00pm and got the trailer dropped just before the snow hit!

1099 miles towing! The old 208k truck did a good job never had a single problem and pulled the heavy birds without breaking a sweat. averaged 11mpg on the way up and 13.2mpg on the way back (kept the cruise on 68mph) FYI dan's new five speed car has 4.10s and mannaged 27.92mpg

Overall a very successful trip! everything went smooth! the only hitch was me screwing up the winch cable at the end. It was great to meet the famous Dan Sly and Bill was cool as hell too! Now once the snow melts i need to make some room and get this car in the garage, pull the motor pull the heads swap cams MLS gaskets studs etc and start putting it all back together in my red car.

I started making progress on getting the motor out of my parts car.

Welded heads with raised exhaust floor

I need to blast and coat the long tubes

Also replace the valve springs they are new but got rust from sitting.

Heads are comming off to install ARP studs and MLS gaskets and i will check everything else out.

*Update*

I purchased from SCU:

New 4.2 crank
Wiesco Forged Pistons
Eagle H Beam Rods

The block and parts are now all at the machine shop. So i should have a short block within the next few weeks!

Also sent the heads of to clarks head guy and turns out the exhaust side majorly outflowed the intake! Also discovered that the valves are actualy 1.94/1.62 AND that the exhaust valves are stainless and the intake are NOT . Also the valve job on the intake side was crap! So they are getting ported properly a full valve job with new intake valves, and new springs to support my .605 cam.

I also got a 135 amp alternator and am going to pickup a 10% MP crank pulley. Also got relayed wiring kit for the fuel pump to install.

Also sent the heads of to clarks head guy and turns out the exhaust side majorly outflowed the intake! Also discovered that the valves are actualy 1.94/1.62 AND that the exhaust valves are stainless and the intake are NOT . Also the valve job on the intake side was crap! So they are getting ported properly a full valve job with new intake valves, and new springs to support my .605 cam.

Jacob the valves are 184 162 not 194 162

Jacob the valves are 184 162 not 194 162

?? Pretty sure steve told me 1.94 on the phone but I have slept since then.

Some new goodies for my project! 135amp alternator and high torque mini starter which should work alot better with the longtubes

Upgraded from 26x8.50x16 et drags to 26x10.50x15 et street for more traction AND so i can run street tire classes

Also picked up a lightly used catback 2.5/3/2.5 with magnaflow resonator and dynomax super turbo's Going to add v band clamps to the headers when i have downtubes made up.

I picked this up to match my Autometer phantom boost guage.. just need the temp that matches and im set!

Also got the Aermotive Stealth 340lph pump from SCU

Last edited:
Well do to some jackassery I have a major set back on heads. The heads i got for the car had major issues.. First off the exhaust out flowed the intake. The exhaust side had welded ports and a nice port job and the intake was virtually untouched. the unshrouding of the valves was pretty much crap... Also the heads where advertised as having stainless valves and did not! The intake valves where some cheap crap and missmatched.. Also the spring setup would not work with my cam so after purchasing all the stuff to fix that issue i get a call and they failed a pressure test! Cracks under the exhaust valves.. God knows what else id be getting into on this garbage so Steve is going to start over with a set of stock heads and do it right so i dont have to worry about any what if's from the previous moron that worked on them. I plan to head to lexington to get my shortblock later this weak when the snow melts off a little.

Back