What happens if you use the old head bolts??

You get to replace your HGs when they blow again next week.

Once they have been stretched,
they will not hold the proper torque again.

leak leak leak leak

leak leak leak leak leak leak leak leak leak leak leak leak leak leak leak leak leak leak they will sooner or later leak leak leak leak . get what im trying to tell you? they are of the stretch variety and only good for one use, they are about $35-$40 a set of 16 $40 is way cheaper than a gasket failure, the second time around. heck I got gasket set with every gasket needed to do heads + bolts for $135.

I replaced a blown headgasket without replacing the bolts, and I didn't even resurface the head. Ran for 35K miles like that. Not saying I recommend it but.....

From what I've been told, the head bolts that Ford used were part of the problem with the hg's blowing. If you use the old bolts, you might as well use the old gaskets too. Either way you're defeating the purpose of the job.

Jake
91 SC

i used my old bolts its been 2 years about 13000 miles now my crank pully went, now it has been another year around 20k miles and still ok on original headbolts , just make sure you torque them all about 5 or six times cause when you torque one another seems loose you guys that have done it know what i mean , still a rocket around 250 to 260 horse but i never had it dynoed im just guestimating from my add ons

Last edited:
My Haynes manual has TTY torque specs for 90 and up cars and regular torque specs for 89s. I assumed this meant that my 89 does not have TTY bolts, I used the old ones. So far only a couple hundred miles on it, working well. We'll see how it does.

Back