Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: New Ford GT 600 Horse Power Mid Engine....Oh and its a V6!

Quote Originally Posted by HwyStar View Post
    Unrelated, but get this, 77 Buick Le Sabre base model engine was a turbo blow through carburetor 3.8 v6. Options were 2 and 4 barrel making 160hp and 165hp.

How about that for the base engine? Definitely had more potential than the next step up which was the boat anchor 301 v8.
    Good point. Have you ever read or heard about the 1976 Buick Century? I believe it was a '76.....anyways, it was a turbo'd 3.8 that was a one off by some inventive custom guys (I don't believe that it was actually Buick, themselves), and the turbine rims, color scheme and the turbo 6 logo all showed up on the Grand Nationals. Buick continued on the turbo'd Century route with the Turbo Coupe.

It's too bad that so many terrible turbo setups were done in the 80's (Turbo Trans Am....not the '89, but the 1980), turbo Monte Carlo, early turbo 2.3 Mustangs were poorly thought out designs.....it had set back people's perceptions of the capabilities of FI. It wasn't until Ford had refined the engine in the Turbo T-Birds and GM with the 3.8 in the Grand Nationals and later Turbo TA's that it really had got great. I wonder how many blown head gaskets in the SC's that it took for people, as well, before the legend got out that FI wasn't worth it. Properly maintained, of course, is the key phrase, but automakers have to assume that people won't maintain the cars. Nowadays, with the efficiency of the computers in cars, it's removed almost all of the problems that were associated with carbed FI setups and the initial burst of fuel injected FI cars, and it's made it so much easier to tap into the cars' potential. Even back in the 80's, the FI cars weren't usually gutsy enough for many people (especially with turbo lag and with the cars being usually on the conservative side in psi and timing), so the cars often hit the scrap heap and just weren't really seen as being worth it to fix or keep on the road for reliable transportation.

Very true. I've heard of these early combos, and would love to see them in person. Despite the issues they had I'm still curious to see them. All the stuff I missed.
    1994 Mk VIII in RCOH
    1990 Cougar XR7 - ALIVE! 325RWHP at current tune
    1981 Rabbit 1.6D + K03 50-60mpg

Quote Originally Posted by HwyStar View Post
    Very true. I've heard of these early combos, and would love to see them in person. Despite the issues they had I'm still curious to see them. All the stuff I missed.
    Not to threadjack this too much, but thought this article about the turbo Buick Century was relevant in the origins of an American V6 turbo being considered a serious platform for power:

http://www.junkyardlife.com/2013/02/...-of-buick.html

....i'd never heard of it until a few months ago, when I was surfing some car stuff on the 'net.

Man, that was a good article. They had the idea and just did it right then. To think, the SC was planned in 86 and released late 88.
    1994 Mk VIII in RCOH
    1990 Cougar XR7 - ALIVE! 325RWHP at current tune
    1981 Rabbit 1.6D + K03 50-60mpg

Nice to see it will be produced down the road.

Paul

Anymore comments about the V6 in the racing and production Ford GT, as it just won its first race at Laguna Seca this weekend
    SCCoA Member#: 2515
    1990 SC AOD 2.1L Kenne Bell
    11.676 @ 121.35 mph
    506hp/478tq
    My Garage

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...race/83826794/

Drivers Ryan Briscoe and Richard Westbrook piloted the No. 67 car to victory at Laguna Seca Raceway during a two-hour, 40-minute race that showcased fuel economy. The GT, powered by a 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine, only had to pit once; its competitors had to refill two or three times.

Did anybody V8 swap one yet?

Quote Originally Posted by racecougar View Post
    Did anybody V8 swap one yet?
    Well, this is a supercar with a mid placed engine that outputs over 600 horse and is light. It is not a $5000 car that weights in at over 2200kg and comes with 200 HP. (you know.. )

It doesn't "need" a V8, although it'd be nice to have an option to have one with more power..

what I really would be interested in though would be an electric sports coupe from Ford. Given the resources they have, it shouldn't take too much to obtain batteries and do so..