Want your voice heard about where to host the SC Shootout?

Pat DiPersia

SCCoA Admin
We want to hear from you (At least, if you would be attending the shootout!) regarding where to host the SC Shootout.

We've setup a quick two question survey (Three, if you optionally answer the last question asking what changes you would make to the shootout.) We basically want to know your zip code and how far you'd travel for the shootout. This survey will take you less than 30 seconds to complete.

So IF you would be attending the Shootout, please complete the survey. We'll keep it open for a few weeks to give people a chance to complete. Once we have some good data, we plan to look it over and see if a change in venue really would be beneficial. Please only complete the survey once. Thanks.

SC Shootout Survey

Last edited by a moderator:
Done

Speak up folks. Every few years the shootout committee has gone through this effort in order be sure the location and venues are meeting everyone's expectations.

I really like the current location because they accommodate us so well. If I were to choose another location I would like to see it back in the stl area. My opinion on a choice of location is kind of biased because I really like the Kentucky location. I think the guys and gals that have been to several of the different locations would have an overall better opinion of what location is better than the other.

Last edited:
I was under the impression there was another 1/4 mile track that was used for the first shootout.

NE Ohio!

We have a huge place with on-site dyno facilities and full mechanical shop for anyone who needs anything. We have a HUGE paved parking lot where burnouts are not only allowed but encouraged. No neighbors to aggravate.

Plenty of room for the car show, covered pavilion for lunch and other activities in case of rain. No curfew.

Plenty of parking for all trucks and trailers.

Banquet facilities are local, but not on site. Catering is not a problem.

Hotels are close (about 5 minutes). Hotels do not have banquet facilities though.

Track is also close - about 15-20 minutes. Track has PAVED pit area. Top quality launch pad, good track with ample shutdown. Well maintained and professional.

Easy access, right off Rt I-90. Quiet area.

My 02. :)

Dayton was nice, KY is nicer (can't beat the hotel arrangements) but it's gotten harder to make what was once a doable one day trip now that it's a good two day trip. Anything under 600 miles or so would be nice for a change, although I realize that barely gets me into Ohio.

I say leave it like it is. I think attendance would drop moving it myself. Most the people that complain about the location
never attend imo...having the car show hotel and dyno all in the same location is great! Loading and unloading the car and towing it across town is not apealing. The facilities we have now have worked great for 3 years! Not to mention the weather has always been tolerable in ky.

Come on, where is everyone? I received 16 responses so far - 13 the first day, three the second and none today so far.

Well, here's the map so far. I took everyone's zip code and put a circle around it based on the distance they'd be willing to drive. We're at 88% of people are willing to drive to Clay City for the meet (Clay City is marked with the blue pin.) One person is on the edge (And I included them in the 88%) and two people are just too far.

The general comments we received were helpful - most were "Leave it as it is." I know there was a lot of talk in years past about different locations and different things to try. I'm still looking for survey responses, so please fill it out. We're not done yet.

Map.JPG

we can always come here to milwaukee wi...

We can always come to here. I do the mid west bash and that has worked out for us. Track time is cheap and so is the dyno and hotels... Just got to throw it out there and keep in mind this years mid west bash... The cook out at my house was a great time as was the bonfire in my back yard... This is a great location and it is close for me....lol.....Rich

Locate

What about something that would be a bit more central to the group in large? Say - Oklahoma, Kansas.
Anything more than a days drive takes away the fun- especially if you plan to trailer it in.

We actually had the Shootout in OKC one time. Attendance from the southern contingent was dismal. We even went so far as to ask for deposits that year and a bunch of people just forfeited their deposits and didn't show so basically it meant all the people from the north had to drive that much further for no real purpose. I always wanted to see two Shootout events, one north and one south, but unfortunately we didn't seem to have the #'s to support that. Who knows, maybe we could???

What about something that would be a bit more central to the group in large? Say - Oklahoma, Kansas.
Anything more than a days drive takes away the fun- especially if you plan to trailer it in.

This is the whole point of Pat's map.....I don't see a response on the map from Texas??

In any case there are VERY FEW responses from people west of St Louis which makes it hard to consider a site further west that where we currently are in KY.

I certainly wish they were hosted closer to me, but that's not been the main reason that I haven't attended ANY shootouts, especially within the past few years. It's a good 15hr drive for me to reach KY. Obviously I'm quite bias, but I'd love to see them hosted up at New England Dragway. They have good facilities, paved pits, etc. Seeing as Brian is a huge part of the organization of the Shootouts, I'm sure he'd like these events to be closer too. If they were closer to me, I'd certainly help with the organization in any way. Just my two cents.

It's getting harder to read as we're getting more responses, but we're still hearing that MOST people would be willing to drive to Clay City. The data doesn't lie. If we had responses from mid-west, we'd move mid-west. New England responses? Move to New England. Etc. If we don't get responses from those areas, we can't justify moving. If my math is right and I'm counting the circles accurately, 80% of people who responded are willing to drive to Clay City.

Map.JPG

Being seen

This is the whole point of Pat's map.....I don't see a response on the map from Texas??

In any case there are VERY FEW responses from people west of St Louis which makes it hard to consider a site further west that where we currently are in KY.

Looking at Pat's mapping- there is no pin points. Since I had seen the survey, wonder if he has updated it yet. I'm in Houston, there are a few SC'rs down here but for the most part they play over on TCCoA, don't know why but it is what it is. If all goes well and this is planned for the latter part of Sept or October I will be able to make it this year. Its nice on the new job, away from home, no dogs barkin at me, no cat cryin, but I do miss my fur kids and my bird that was supposed to go to the mechanic while I am away- now we will have to come home for 2 days and get it to him- gawd this is nerve wrecking!!!!

Just saw this...placed my vote. Been to both the KY and OH shootouts...everything at the Hotel is pretty great IMO. Getting up, walking 20 feet and being at the car show and dyno is pretty darn sweet. ...need a break or a rest...walk another 20 feet and your back in the room to watch football or whatever. The hotel staff wants us there which is always a great feeling also.

I hope with the decrease in gas costs will allow more people to travel this year...certainly that has to play a factor. At the end of the day, those who want to make it will make sure they can.

-Tim

Last edited:
Back