Want your voice heard about where to host the SC Shootout?

The map has gotten a bit unwieldy with all of the circles, but I've updated it to the latest and greatest. In addition, I did a second map with just pinpoints of where people responded from. We're still at ~80% of respondents saying they would drive to Clay City, KY.

Map1.JPG

Map2.JPG

Interesting. Judging from the location of those red dots it looks like the event could be moved back to somewhere in Ohio and it wouldn't make that much of a difference to many people.

Ira

Easy Ira. I'm the Florida guy.
Rick

Rick,
I understand what you are saying and the farthest I have had to travel to a Shootout is 10 Hours to OK City. It looks to be about 18 or so hours for you depending on driving habits and such. Clay City is going to be your best location really.

All I can say is that just about everyone on this site knows when the shootouts are going to be held generally speaking. Late Sept. or early Oct. I am not sure what you do for a living or anything about you, or vacation situation etc; so this is just in general terms for anyone reading this.

Learn to plan ahead, set back a little money each month for the registration fees, gas money, food, hotel etc; Try not to make it so painful to come up with it all at one time. I have a shootout fund just to make sure I can go every year and fortunately for me I get 6 weeks of vacation a year so that is generally not an issue.

All I am saying is we have had folks from Canada come for several years. Yes it is difficult, and can be a little pricey for some, but I can assure you it will be the most fun you can have a car event you can think of. If you have a family bring them along and get them involved, it doesn't cost much more for them to come.

Start planning now and see how you can make things work to have a great time for a weekend. It has been said a bunch of times before, but don't worry about how your car looks or races, as long as it is reliable enough to make the trip if you drive it, then don't race that's cool. If you trailer it, even better in my opinion, but it can be done if you plan ahead now.

Hope to see you there this year and make sure you find me if you come. ( I am form FL originally too);)

Regards,
Smitty

I too have been to Xenia, OH. several times and now KY's location. Seems to me in talking with several attendees in the last 3 years in KY at the Shootout, all I have heard were GREAT things ABOUT the host hotel, the available of a roomy conference room, how convenient it is too the hotels parking lot as space for the car show and the nice 1/4 mile track at Clay City. I personally like the Shootout being in KY myself as well, with no complaints either and vote to keep it in Winchester, KY.

shootout bound

Personally I'd try to make it if it was in Flagstaff or Boston....I enjoy it that much. I have been to a few and must say I prefer the ones in Clay City so far to Dayton and Muncie, but I'll try to make it wherever it is.

Never been to a shootout but I've been wanting to go for years now. I think the general location is fine especially if everyone likes the facilities and hotels there. The main reason I haven't been to one is I'm not a a big fan of so many hours in the car but it's definitely doable, just personal preference really. Now with 2 young kids at home the wife would never go for me being away for 2 weekends a year; Carlisle is my big hooray and that's not going to change anytime soon, I've attended every year since 2000. Before it's asked, no the wife wouldn't want to attend with the kids; her SC days are long behind her since she sold her car in the early 2000's. :(

Guys, you need to keep in mind that we simply can't afford to rent most of the places listed above. Cecil was somewhere in the $15,000 range as I recall from last time I called them. At a big turnout of 40 racers, that would mean $375/entry. Just not in our budget!

There are 2 challenges with regard to track location, one is simple economics, and the other is scheduling. Some tracks are completely booked solid and simply unwilling to rent to a club on a weekend. We could have the Shootout in the middle of the week, but what would that do to attendance?

So please try to be reasonable with your ideas. The Shootout committee works real hard to select locations and venues that work for us. There are many reasons for the venues that we do select. For example, just to put this out there - one of the reasons we stopped going to Kilkare is that they do not have a proper shut down. We had a couple close calls the last time we were there. Our cars are getting faster, and we simply didn't feel that Kilkare offered an acceptable margin of safety for us. There were other reasons as well, but people need to understand that there are a lot factors that go into track location selection.

:)

I would have never thought cecil was that expensive.. Generally track days when my local club rents range anywhere from 200-250 a person so I guess its on par with the course..It save me a few hundred in tow fees though!

I hope to make it this year too. Since I am so far away the location does not matter so much as long as I can drive it in a couple days from Edmonton, Alberta which is over 2000 kms to any of the previous venues I have attended. I could not complete the survey as my postsl/ zip code does not work.

I will be there this year it would be nice to have in the country of Ohio since its close for me lol. Kentucky was nice though and great to leave behind the Michigan flats.

Kentucky FTW!! Seriously good facilities! way to big of a gamble on weather to goto northern ohio in october... Maybe i can invest in some snow slicks.....

Thunder Valley in Bristol TN would be a great spot. I work at the Speedway/Dragway i might be able to pull a few strings.

I know this year is decided but I have only been to 2 1/4mile tracks...Dayton and clay city. Love the current setup. very family friendly having everything in same lot, kids can come and go and so forth. For us in 46034 it's a great distance. For the shootout we would be willing to drive further. Really just depends on gas prices but as far as Atlanta, Kansas city, Michigan, D.c. area for us SO I guess that would be 6-8 hr drive

I know past shootout had been in Muncie but from reading posts, people didn't seem to like it though. It's kind of if it aint broken don't fix it...but I think its great you all want to keep an idea where everyone is and is willing to travel.

Back