Average motor life?

Update on the car.

Its still fk'd. Sat outside for well over a year now. We bought a replacement engine for it around march/April which we stored in the back of my girlfriends garage just before a full kitchen was thrown in last summer.

We have been looking for the motor for a month or so as it wasn't where we last left it. Her dad threw a tarp over it and wheeled it into a garden last June when he bought the kitchen. We found it behind all the firewood lay on a grass patch. It was still on the pallet but leaning forward pretty good. the front lower half of the crank pulley was embedded in the ground and has rusted to hell. Give me some good news, are the harmonic balancers balanced with the crank pulley? Please tell me they arent. I am hearing some saying they are and I will need both. We don't have that cash available. If they are totally separate then no biggie. I'll throw my old one on when this motor goes in.

Neill

They are balanced together, however since the 3.8SC motor is neutral balanced, it isn't that critical. If you are having someone balance a rotating assembly, bring him the pulley, but if you are just swapping a stock motor for another stock motor, you can swap the pulleys out without having any issues.

Oh she's a keeper for sure.

The reason the repair of the tbird has taken so long is down to the fact she has sold her 84 ram late last year and bought herself a replacement 83 ram slant 6 instead. DVLA (UK DMV equivalent) has valued it at £4000. She paid £1000 for it, plus taxes at £770. Its currently in the process of registration.

The cobra has also been painted and I have since added some 03 cobra 17's. I had some noises from my rear end so recently rebuilt it and have some lower control arms waiting to go on too.

Its been a fun 12 months.

Time to concentrate properly on the SC. The motor will be wheeled in the garage tomorrow now we have space. I will be renewing all gaskets including headgaskets while the motor is out. it already has new plugs and wires so I don't run into that issue later when its installed in the car. also have a VSS ready to plug into the trans as the speedo has been moving around while the motor is running but car is stationary. It also needs to have the front upper control arms installed. I have arranged for the motor to be installed later this month. It then needs a screen and its almost ready.

ABS light is currently on, I'm used to sensors being at fault with the sn95 but apparently the tbird has a much more elaborate system. I'll have to dig into that.

There has been progress! Parts have been bought and now we are seeing some dry days I'll have an opportunity to get to it a little better.

Neill

Back