New ride for the summer

fast Ed

Back in to a T-Bird for me, this time of the Fox variety:

High mile car that had a proper paint job about 8 years ago and hasn't gone far since ... it was taken completely apart for the respray, including engine removal. New front fenders, all new OEM lights across the front. Lower mile engine and trans from another car that he had parted out. Some refreshed suspension pieces, new exhaust with Magnaflows, new fuel tank with a 255L pump (at one point he had a modded engine in the car). I've always loved the 87-88 TCs, and this one turned up on kijiji Guelph a few weeks ago at $5000. I had been looking at an 84 Mustang SVO in Niagara as well before Christmas, but it got sold. This car is much nicer cosmetically than than the SVO was, and the Bird is obviously a more refined Fox. It looks great, but isn't so nice that I'm afraid to drive it or put a wrench to it ... if it was a low-mileage survivor, I don't think that I could enjoy it as much. Only real noticeable cosmetic flaw is the fading on the tops of the black cloth seats, they are almost a blueish colour now. Going to try dyeing them possibly, other than that, the interior looks almost as minty as the outside.

Seller turned out to be the brother of a guy that I knew from many years ago through one of the Toronto area Ford clubs who was also a service engineer at Ford Oakville. Car is still in his storage behind is business for now, until the weather breaks a bit and I can get it over to the dealership for the safety check and e-test (wish it was an 87 so I didn't have to worry about the test). Plan is to just drive it this summer, maybe a few minor mods, make sure that I'm digging it before spending money on wheels / tires / suspension upgrades etc.

cheers
Ed

Nice...looks great!

I love my Anny SC, but I miss my '85 TC :)

Going to mod the boost circuit?

Very Nice... Any interior pics?

I'll get some when the car is in my possession, these photos were pulled from the seller's ad. "Raven" black cloth with the grey inserts and headliner, worst part is the fading on the tops of the seats as mentioned. Planning to try some Duplicolor or SEM dye on them (in an inconspicuous area first) to see if that will match well enough to improve the look. No rips or tears that we noticed, small hole in the left sunvisor that I should be able to find a good used or NOS replacement for. Shift knob is dead, but I have an old Ford Motorsport leather knob that is a good match for the interior colour.

cheers
Ed

Last edited:
looks nice ed. ill see if i can find pics of the cougar seats i dyed with duplicolor interior stuff. it worked pretty well.

Great find, Ed. Looks like a good solid car. Glad to hear that you are not going to be afraid to drive it. I used to like the size of the '84 that I had. It was no where near as nice though.
Alan

Very nice score Ed, That car looks real clean and a good platform for you to have som efun with. As like others I love those birds and seeing those pics makes me wonder what I like better. SC's or TC's. Either way hope I can see it out a few times this year.

Drew

looks good Ed,i took out a '87 5speed brand new in 1987, quick car for a 4banger.
will that be enough horsepower for u Ed. what is it 180hp stock?

Stock was 190 hp / 240 lbs./ft. torque on the 87-88 stick cars. Autos had 150 I believe, boost was limited so they didn't kill the A4LD trans. There are a few easy tweaks to get a bit more hp, I already have a nice little adjustable boost controller to go on that will allow me to set it go to 17 psi in every gear ... the factory setup limits the boost in lower gears.

Not worried about making big power with this car, it is just supposed to be a clean cruiser.

cheers
Ed

Very nice Ed our snap on guy has one in just as nice shape and he kinda wants to sell it.I had Nickeys T bird fired up on the weekend and im still fighting with myself inside whether or not to phone DD and ask 5gs or should I just build it and drive it myself.I can not make up my mind and i think about it every day!

Drew, with the clean roads and nice weather this week I finally got the car moved from the seller's place in Guelph over to my workplace in Waterloo on Tuesday. The service department got the emissions test done yesterday, so that's handled, just waiting for one of two technicians I prefer to come available to look at it for the safety check.

It seemed pretty good on the 30 min trip over to Wloo, engine felt strong when I gave it about 3/4 throttle and 5000 rpm with some boost coming on.

cheers
Ed

Good stuff Ed, Nice to hear your first real drive went well. I bet that will be a fun ride to cruise around this year. Hope to see it one day.

Drew

Passed the safety OK, when the tech had it up in the air I took a better look underneath, car is super solid and clean. Brought it home tonight, drove well. Has a few minor issues to be dealt with, but heck, the car is 25+ years old with over 300,000 km, didn't expect it to be perfect.

cheers
Ed

Thats great Ed good to hear. but am I reading that righ? that car looks super clean for the km's. It looks like the guy took very good care of it. That is real impressive.
Should be a blast to drive.
Drew

Back