1990 cougar xr7

pwal

hi, I'm new here and need an opinion on a 1990 xr7 good condition 57000 mi. auto tranny & real clean, the asking price is $4700. Is that a fair price? Find it hard to get a value at that price on edmunds,nada or kbb. only price I found was on edmunds for around $2200. Thanks

The $4700 price seems a little high, but in the ball park if the rest of the car is really clean. If it were a 5-speed with that low mileage, it would be worth more. Part of the problem with valuing the 89/90 XR7s is that there were so few of them produced to begin with, and then most of them were used as daily drivers, so you end up with most of them with 100K+ miles and a bunch of wear and tear in the $2K range, then you have a few that sat in storage forever and have under 15K miles where people are asking close to $10K. With 57K miles, it is too high mileage to bring the ultra high dollars, and given that the car is 25 years old, you will probably need to replace all the rubber parts on the car and rebuild the front suspension in order to make it a solid driver, but figure if you had to buy a $2000 car and re-do the interior and repaint it, and possibly do some engine work, you could very quickly find yourself having spent $10K, so if you can buy that car for $4K, maybe spend another $1K on maintenance, you will have yourself a nice rare car you can actually drive and enjoy for substantially less that it would cost you to build one.

If you could offer more details about the condition it would help. Maybe some pictures? My personal opinion is that 57k is still pretty low for a 25 year old car and suggests that preservation may have been in mind which = taken care of. A 5spd adds value for sure but with the auto it's still a rare car. That being said, there is currently very little demand for these and there may never be.

If you're not looking for an investment drive it and see if you like it. If you can find a late model rwd car with similar specs at that price I'd tip my cap to you. Fwiw and because the community might be interested, I bought my 5spd xr7 for $9500 with 15k miles. Some here may object but the buyer and seller agreed. I also plan on preserving my car so DD is not a concern for me..

You might check out the white xr7 on autotrader right now. It's about the same price as yours and looks very clean but is a 5 spd.

1990 xr7

Thanks for the fast reply! the car is at a dealership & has been through their 128 pt. inspection & had 2 owners for whatever that is worth. what do you think is a fair price? I checked the XR7 on autotrader & is now listed as a private sale for$6200/72,500 mi. Do you think that's a better value for a manual ? I plan on driving the car except for winter time. The car is rust free I'm thinking about. I looked at a 1990 manual/115,000 mi. that needs paint & has some rust issues / $3000. Felt after paint & body work I,d have another $3000.-$5000 plus with that mileage of 100000 plus mi. Not a good value! Thanks for your input!

Thanks for the fast reply! the car is at a dealership & has been through their 128 pt. inspection

Did that include checking the fluid level in the supercharger? Did they confirm all the tensioners are within service range? Did they pull codes? What level audio system is in it?

Where has it lived most/all of it's life? Did you run a carfax? How much did you test drive it?

1990 xr7

Waiting to hear from the sales rep regarding what was included other than lube,oil, filter,grease & safety inspection. have not driven car yet.

Back