Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have any classy 19" or 20" staggered wheel set ups, which offsets?

Anyone have any classy 19" or 20" staggered wheel set ups, which offsets?

I have been a member here since the 90's but my SC has been in the back burner for almost 15 years now. It's time to get it where it needs to be. I have had the same 17's on it since 1998 when I was a teenager and 17s were the biggest anyone went. I have searched on here many times but have never seen any real nice, larger, tucked or fat lip wheel set up. Any size and offset, maker suggestions, pics??? are really appreciated. The pics below are of the SC and my Lexus GS I just traded in for an SUV, just looking to do a similar set up on the SC, I still have the wheels. Hmmm just had a thought that, this bolt pattern in the same as the mustang ones that I've read people switched to, how much and difficult would a bolt pattern change be?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Are those wheels hubcentric for the Lexus? If so, the hub bore will be too small for a Mustang hub conversion. If you really want to use those wheels, and the offsets are correct, you may be able to get the hub bores machined slightly larger to fit the Ford hubs.

Depending on width, offset needs to be in the +30 to +40 range to keep them under the T-Bird fenders.

cheers
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post
    Are those wheels hubcentric for the Lexus? If so, the hub bore will be too small for a Mustang hub conversion. If you really want to use those wheels, and the offsets are correct, you may be able to get the hub bores machined slightly larger to fit the Ford hubs.

Depending on width, offset needs to be in the +30 to +40 range to keep them under the T-Bird fenders.

cheers
    Ed
    They are vossen wheels, 20x8.5 front and 20x11 in the rear, offsets are pretty aggressive too, just forget exactly, know one is 35, honestly until posting, I never thought of reusing the wheels, as I was thinking something a little different, hot roddy, simple 5 stars or something with a lip. I forget what that hub centric term totally is but never heard it relating to any of the Vossen wheels, I think it was relating to those super high end forged wheels, a lot of the high end import guys use. Totally not set on reusing these wheels. I just have not seen anything wide and tucked on an SC, on the club, the cobra Rs look ok but not the look I want to achieve, and came across a handful of people doing the mustang conversion.

Thanks

Here are a couple of pics of my old car with the final set of wheels I put on ... 19x9 +40 (with thin spacers for spindle clearance), and 19x10 +40. They were a Motegi Racing Touge wheel, American Racing sold a chrome version of the same wheel called Rebel, both are discontinued now. Tires were 255/40R19 and 275/35R19 ... wanted to use 285/35R19 which would have been a perfect match for the diameter of the fronts, but in the brands that I was looking at, on backorder at the time.

Name:  sccoasummer005.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  118.0 KB

Name:  sccoasummer015.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  106.7 KB

So those widths and offsets are pretty good fit IMO, gives you an idea what to look for. These were 4.5" pattern wheels, I had the hub swap and Cobra brake conversion.

cheers
    Ed

I run 19x8.5 235 40 19x9.5 285 35

member #2488
    2016 shootout Best of show award
    2015 Carlisle Best of show modified, 1st place 92 93 SC and Celebrity's choice award winner.
    2014 Shootout Best of show 1st award winner
    2014 Comp cams VIP Car craft street machine nationals
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage.p...e_view&id=7152

wheels

Thanks Fast Ed, that set up sat very nice, I'm thinking 20s are just too big, might raise yhe car up more than I would like, with the suspension set up I have, eibachs and tokicos. Damn dave you horsepower is freakin impressive!!!!

I've been toying with the idea of some 2013-2015 fusion wheels. I see varying reports on the offset (around +40mm). I think there are some very nice looking options though and there are a lot of take-offs on ebay. Another option could be the escape wheels but the take-off tires would be a hair tall; 235-45-19.

Anybody else gone this route yet?

would still require a hub swap i believe.

2013 - 2015 Escape and Fusion are 5x108. You'll need a hub centric ring and have to double check the width and off-set but in this regard they're no different than an aftermarket wheel. WARNING: 2006-2012 Fusion wheels are 5x114.3 - will not work.

I'm just partial to the look of OEM wheels and at least on the cheaper end of the aftermarket spectrum I think OEM would have better QC.

guess i was looking at the older ones.

20's aren't too big. Edit = And since you are going to ask, the wheels are Concept One, 4.5 bolt pattern, 20X10.5+45 with 285 30 and 20X9+36 with 245 35's. Yes they rub(bed). The fender lips are rolled, and I had to use 1/8 spacers in the rear to keep the inside lip from grinding against the upper shock tower on full squat.

Last edited by Micahdogg; 02-09-2015 at 01:28 PM.

19x9.5 19x8.5 here +35
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by neverfastenough; 02-09-2015 at 04:06 PM.
    Making woosh sounds since 2010!

Quote Originally Posted by BUDXR7 View Post
    2013 - 2015 Escape and Fusion are 5x108. You'll need a hub centric ring and have to double check the width and off-set but in this regard they're no different than an aftermarket wheel. WARNING: 2006-2012 Fusion wheels are 5x114.3 - will not work.

I'm just partial to the look of OEM wheels and at least on the cheaper end of the aftermarket spectrum I think OEM would have better QC.
    New Escape / Focus / Fusion wheels are 5 on 108 with 63.3 bore, but the offset is higher than needed for an MN-12 ... spacers would be needed to keep them from rubbing on the inside.

cheers
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Micahdogg View Post
    20's aren't too big. Edit = And since you are going to ask, the wheels are Concept One, 4.5 bolt pattern, 20X10.5+45 with 285 30 and 20X9+36 with 245 35's. Yes they rub(bed). The fender lips are rolled, and I had to use 1/8 spacers in the rear to keep the inside lip from grinding against the upper shock tower on full squat.

That sits super nice, love it, now that I rethink my Vossens are 9" wide in the front with that same bolt pattern, I am going to have to find the exact offsets. But have another set in mind. Rollin the fenders for whatever I do is an option too, hope I can figure out a perfect offset.

Well, for "perfect offset," at least when talking about 20's, I can tell you that 7.55 is your maximum amount of backspace before you hit the shock tower. My rims were grinding against the unibody when bottoming out the lower control arm against the bumpstop. Luckily my tire tucks so it was only the rim grinding and not the tire. So whatever offset and rim width you consider, keep that in mind with 20's. I suspect you'll find the same issue with 19's When you get to 18's and lower, you may avoid that problem, but then you start having serious sway bar clearance issues - which you can avoid with 19's and 20's because they go past the swaybar.