Saw these new oem pistons

They look identical to the pistons in all the SC engines I've taken apart, plus the Ford boxes are right there in the picture, so I would say they are legit.

Just grabbed these. I love this forum. I have my block sittin pretty .030 over just waiting for pistons. I was going to wait for tax money and get forged but these should do fine for my purposes. $25 each aint bad. I might even spring for some kind of coating.

Just grabbed these. I love this forum. I have my block sittin pretty .030 over just waiting for pistons. I was going to wait for tax money and get forged but these should do fine for my purposes. $25 each aint bad. I might even spring for some kind of coating.

You had your block done with out having the pistons?

FYI....SC engines have always had a hypereutectic piston, which is not quite as good as forged but better than a casting.

You had your block done with out having the pistons?

It all started out as head gaskets. It wasn't supposed to be a long term thing and I started flip flopping between big ideas for the car and just cannibalizing parts for my auto. I left the heads off and never took precautions against cylinder rust. By the time I made up my mind honing wasn't enough to clean one of the cylinders. It won't be perfect piston to bore matched but I'm hoping I'm fine. Absolute worst case I have another block. I've been gathering up my bolt ons, cam kit from mr Dalke . I just want to get the dang thing moving now...still a long way to go though.

Dave-- I thought supercoupes had hypereutectic and forged offered more protection.

they had a company selling those same pistons back in 2004 for like $28 or some other

its here on the forum somewhere, im sure a search would find it, there was some folks that didn't like them, specifically I think fraser commented on the poor quality of them, what you expect for $20 lol

they had a company selling those same pistons back in 2004 for like $28 or some other

its here on the forum somewhere, im sure a search would find it, there was some folks that didn't like them, specifically I think fraser commented on the poor quality of them, what you expect for $20 lol

the box looked like fomoco. I thought it was NOS from like old dealership inventory. I tried looking for the thread pls link it if you see it. They're going in either way but curious if it's a ford vendor issue or fakes or whatever.

It all started out as head gaskets. It wasn't supposed to be a long term thing and I started flip flopping between big ideas for the car and just cannibalizing parts for my auto. I left the heads off and never took precautions against cylinder rust. By the time I made up my mind honing wasn't enough to clean one of the cylinders. It won't be perfect piston to bore matched but I'm hoping I'm fine. Absolute worst case I have another block. I've been gathering up my bolt ons, cam kit from mr Dalke . I just want to get the dang thing moving now...still a long way to go though.

Dave-- I thought supercoupes had hypereutectic and forged offered more protection.

I'm sure it will be fine. I just thought it kinda strange the machine shop bored without the slugs. I did have to deal with a pair of Keith Black pistons that were like 12 thousands difference once. They were for a Harley Shovel.

Those pistons are not OE, they are OE replacements, which basically means they are Sealed Power without the coatings which is what Ford sold after production ended. Notice the F6xx part number which obviously is a part number that was generated after SC production had ended. Price is ok, but nothing to get excited about, the Sealed Power versions come with coated skirts already, so +1 for Sealed Power.

{Edit} The true OE pistons were also hyperutectic but were a stronger design. All aftermarket hyperutectic pistons regardless of the name on the box (and yes these "OE" pistons listed above are aftermarket) have an inherent design flaw that makes them significantly weaker than stock and subject to skirt failures under detonation (more common than you think). Just FYI.

Last edited:
Those pistons are not OE, they are OE replacements, which basically means they are Sealed Power without the coatings which is what Ford sold after production ended. Notice the F6xx part number which obviously is a part number that was generated after SC production had ended. Price is ok, but nothing to get excited about, the Sealed Power versions come with coated skirts already, so +1 for Sealed Power.

{Edit} The true OE pistons were also hyperutectic but were a stronger design. All aftermarket hyperutectic pistons regardless of the name on the box (and yes these "OE" pistons listed above are aftermarket) have an inherent design flaw that makes them significantly weaker than stock and subject to skirt failures under detonation (more common than you think). Just FYI.

Good info for the club. Thanks for clearing that up. I'll be counting on you for a detonation free tune when I get to that phase. Thanks.

Just out of curiousity, what is this inherent design flaw you speak of?

Just out of curiousity, what is this inherent design flaw you speak of?

The casting is very thin where the skirt joins the base of the ring lands and Sealed Power (or actually Keith Black/Silvolite) saw fit to put a large slotted vent in the middle of the oil ring land that makes that area even weaker. I've seen those pistons with the skirts completely broken off, more than once. The actual Ford pistons are solid in that area, it's a totally different design.

This was the main motivating factor for having Wiseco make an OE replacement style forged piston which they sold for a few years as the Pro Tru piston. Unfortunately we didn't buy enough to keep the product line alive and so now the only option other than the ones shown above is full custom.

This was the main motivating factor for having Wiseco make an OE replacement style forged piston which they sold for a few years as the Pro Tru piston. Unfortunately we didn't buy enough to keep the product line alive and so now the only option other than the ones shown above is full custom.

Hate to hear this!

Back