Where is the drain hole under cowl? - Rain leaking into passenger side floor.

GAR

So I've searched previous threads and they all mention leaks to the passenger firewall/floor could come from one of four sources:

1. Hole under cowl to blower motor - I added a plastic shield that I thought fixed this a few years ago.
2. Heater core not draining through firewall - Checked this, its damp inside but the tube seems free of debris.
3. Moon Roof Drain Leak - I hit it with compressed air and it seems clear.

The one I can't diagnose:

4. Drain Hole under cowl - I can't see what this is or where it might be!

I have attached pictures, can anyone point out where I should be checking for leaves and debris?

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

I'd wonder if the glass-to-body seal could also leak into the cabin? Has the windshield been replaced? Is it cracked? How good is the moonroof seal? Did you check the body for cracks while you had the cowls off? Are the foam & rubbers seals still in place and reliable on the cowls themselves?

2.) Isn't the A/C unit sweat supposed to go out via short drain tube from inside/under the dash forward into the engine bay...

3.) Be careful using compressed air to check/clean out - I think in rare cases you risk blowing one of the plastic drain tubes off inside the roof/body should they be plugged on the exits.

Also, the drain? Crawl under the car, and look at where the inner fender liner attaches. Also, open the door, and look forwards to where the sound deadening is. The drain is between the two of them.

(Actually, the drain is the inner fender liner, where it pockets to let the water out. Or gets packed full of crap and holds the water to rot out the unibody there ... )

RwP

It looks like the seal could be cracked around your fresh air inlet, the thing you have covered with plastic. You can try and pry it off. See if it comes easy. The clean it up and reseal it. Or if it doesnt come up easy run some silicone around it. Will be tough on the back side.

Check your door seal , mine was wicking rain from the front down to the floor under the plastic kick panel. I shot RTV in the seal & pressed it back into place & no more water under the carpet.

I just fixed this issue on my Cougar this past weekend. Pry up and remove the air inlet (with the screen). Look behind where it sits at the body seam where the cowl meets the firewall. I'd be willing to bet that the factory sealant has deteriorated. I cleaned out that seam and where the inlet sits and used some RTV to seal it all back up. It's been raining here for 2 days and the carpet is dry.

Also, the drain? Crawl under the car, and look at where the inner fender liner attaches. Also, open the door, and look forwards to where the sound deadening is. The drain is between the two of them.

(Actually, the drain is the inner fender liner, where it pockets to let the water out. Or gets packed full of crap and holds the water to rot out the unibody there ... )

RwP

Is the drain missing from my car?

I might be dumb, but I can't see any drain, just the sound deadening. Pictures attached. The sees to be some rot and a leak to the wheel well near the back top of the passenger fender, right under where the hood attaches. It looks like water was never intended to enter there.

photo1_600.jpg

photo2_600.jpg

The front drain goes down inside the A pillar of course. I'd use water inside the moonroof well to confirm they're actually clear and/or to see if you can cause your specific issue inside the cabin.

Roof-off-car image shows where they connect up top in this thread:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?133402-Sunroof-drain-lines&highlight=moonroof+drains

On my '90 SC, the rear drain isn't directly visible. It's buried inside the foam that you can see when you remove the GFX in front of the wheel. Mine was blocked from road debris/mud that built up on the inside of the plastic GFX. Couple screws/pins hold it in place if you want to inspect.

Last edited:
What is GFX?

ground effects....in this case, the aluminum sections that run along the lower edge of the body/door between an SC's wheel wells - also the additional flare that makes the rear bumper skin specific to the SC.

I had this same problem with my '93. It also depended on which way the car was facing when it rained. I did the standard stuff with the heater inlet and seam sealed everything under the cowl.
Here's the rub. I had a windshield technician tell me once that the rivets for the trim can leak into the A pillar. If you have had your windshield replaced (and most have by now), check how the trim was re-installed. If the windshield guys were lazy and not careful then the trim might be attached with sheet metal screws. These holes must be sealed. Also, under the trim, make sure that the channel down the side of the glass is open to allow the water to run down, otherwise it will back up under the trim and find its way in the trim fasteners.
I found out this stuff the hard way and now need floor repairs.
Alan

I would try pulling back carpet /padding . Get in the car with a flash light and have someone run a garden hose starting low and working your way up . Try to create the leak and narrow down the area. Open the moon roof and pour water from a cup right into the drain. In my car I needed to extend passenger side drain outside under rocker. You can take a leaf blower stick it in a window and seal it with cardboard and tape. Spray suspected area with soapy water and look for bubbles. This worked for me good luck.

Back