Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: New SC Owner from Oregon.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    12

    New SC Owner from Oregon.

    Hey, my name is David and I'm from Eugene, OR. I just bought a 1990 SC and so far it's living up to it's rep! The transmission is slipping a little, though, and there are some small dents and dings, but it was only $800 so I can't complain.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    759
    So you're the guy that bought the red 90 in Springfield! Congrats on your SC purchase. I've been looking at that for some time now. I'm in Eugene as well and would be happy to share what little knowledge I have. I did just do a trans swap last year so perhaps we can talk about your options. If you want to meet up sometime I'd be interested to chat with you.

    You know there's another 90 out in McKenzie Bridge area - guy wants $650.00 for it.

    That really cleaned up nicely. Did it have a small dent in the right fender like it appeared to in the Craigslist ad? Forgot to also mention - welcome to the forums!

    Scott J

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by potshotscott View Post
    So you're the guy that bought the red 90 in Springfield! Congrats on your SC purchase. I've been looking at that for some time now. I'm in Eugene as well and would be happy to share what little knowledge I have. I did just do a trans swap last year so perhaps we can talk about your options. If you want to meet up sometime I'd be interested to chat with you.

    You know there's another 90 out in McKenzie Bridge area - guy wants $650.00 for it.

    That really cleaned up nicely. Did it have a small dent in the right fender like it appeared to in the Craigslist ad? Forgot to also mention - welcome to the forums!

    Scott J
    Ha! Yep it was me. The car runs surprisingly well for an $800 car and has just over 100k miles. The only major issues are the ignition doesn't start unless you bypass the starter solenoid and the transmission slips, but not to the point where it can't be driven. I swapped out the solenoid, but it seems like it's not getting any power from the ignition wire, and when I checked it the voltage was all over the place so I'm not sure what's going on with that. I will probably be replacing the transmission, soon, if it looks like something I can tackle. I've heard it can be a lot more expensive to rebuild than to replace. As far as the body goes, yeah it's got some dings. The most major blemish is the hood and front bumper. The hood has a couple of small but sharp creases and the bumper is bent out of shape by about a half inch on one side. There's also some yellow showing where the black stripe has chipped away, and it's sat under some pines for a while, so there are a lot of dead needles in every little gap. The interior is perfect, though, and those seats! The adjustments on the front seats are incredible.

    If you happen to see a my car around, don't hesitate to say hi!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Salem, OR
    Posts
    6,293
    Looks nice for the price Welcome to SC ownership.

    > The only major issues are the ignition doesn't start unless you bypass the starter solenoid
    Are you sure it's not a safety feature...try pressing the brake pedal when you go to start it. That's how my '90 Anniversary SC w/auto trans works.

    Ken - Salem

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    29

    Sweet Super Coupe

    Sweet deal for a super coupe in that condition, great pickup.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    759
    When my transmission died I shopped around for repair - it was upwards of $2500.00. Really pricey. I opted for a really low mile unit from a B&R wrecking. If you want help sourcing and swapping the transmission let me know. You can swap later Mustang transmissions into our cars. I put a 2003 Mustang trans into my 94' - LOVE IT. Not that hard to do either - did the whole job including fluid for less than $300.00.

    You don't have to be too specific but what part of town will I find you driving around most of the time?
    Last edited by potshotscott; 04-12-2015 at 11:54 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    Looks nice for the price Welcome to SC ownership.



    Are you sure it's not a safety feature...try pressing the brake pedal when you go to start it. That's how my '90 Anniversary SC w/auto trans works.

    Ken - Salem
    You know, I've probably owned 20 different cars in my lifetime, and NONE of them required this. You nailed it, though, I held down the brake and it started right up. Thanks!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by potshotscott View Post
    When my transmission died I shopped around for repair - it was upwards of $2500.00. Really pricey. I opted for a really low mile unit from a B&R wrecking. If you want help sourcing and swapping the transmission let me know. You can swap later Mustang transmissions into our cars. I put a 2003 Mustang trans into my 94' - LOVE IT. Not that hard to do either - did the whole job including fluid for less than $300.00.

    You don't have to be too specific but what part of town will I find you driving around most of the time?
    I spend most of my time in West Eugene, but I live in East Springfield, so it's tough to say. I do spend a lot of time driving though, and it's mostly through town so I'm sure we'll cross paths at some point. $300 for a tranny sounds great! I think that's the route I'm going to go. Did it require a lot of tools (jacks, hoists, whatever) to change it? I have heard of people swapping transmissions on the side of the road just using a jack and a curb, but I doubt I'd be that lucky lol.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    759
    Yes - you'll need enough stuff to get the front end on jack stands. Once you have the car up the exhaust needs to come out, the gas tank needs to be lowered, the drive shaft comes out and then you pull the trans. Now that I've done it I could probably remove and replace a transmission in about 4 hours if you have everything you need. Having a transmission jack is super handy but you can lower a trans without one. I highly recommend doing this in a garage space. Doing this on the street would suck IMO.

    There are many threads on later model trans swaps. I went from 4R70W to a newer 4R70W. There's a little more to going from an AOD to a 4R70W but it seems to be mostly around wiring up the connector to the car. If you want to meet for coffee to talk through all this I'd be glad to meet. I travel a bit for work but am home for the next two weeks. LMK.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Salem, OR
    Posts
    6,293
    One thing to check on the trans is the TV cable adjustment at the throttle body.

    It's fairly easy to set. You need to release the clip, tension the cable just a bit and then re-commit the clip. Search here for details, but be careful to not get carried away as going too far one way or the other can do much more harm than good in a hurry.

    Also, if you decide to do a filter change or drop the pan to inspect, know that in some cases new ATF is not your friend....it can release built up compounds and raise heck with the internals in high mile/older units so be cautious and only use as much as is necessary to replace what you can't capture while taking things apart.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    One thing to check on the trans is the TV cable adjustment at the throttle body.

    It's fairly easy to set. You need to release the clip, tension the cable just a bit and then re-commit the clip. Search here for details, but be careful to not get carried away as going too far one way or the other can do much more harm than good in a hurry.

    Also, if you decide to do a filter change or drop the pan to inspect, know that in some cases new ATF is not your friend....it can release built up compounds and raise heck with the internals in high mile/older units so be cautious and only use as much as is necessary to replace what you can't capture while taking things apart.
    Ken can you offer additional detail on the TV cable adjustment? I'm going to start searching the forums but am interested in why this would influence slip.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    One thing to check on the trans is the TV cable adjustment at the throttle body.

    It's fairly easy to set. You need to release the clip, tension the cable just a bit and then re-commit the clip. Search here for details, but be careful to not get carried away as going too far one way or the other can do much more harm than good in a hurry.

    Also, if you decide to do a filter change or drop the pan to inspect, know that in some cases new ATF is not your friend....it can release built up compounds and raise heck with the internals in high mile/older units so be cautious and only use as much as is necessary to replace what you can't capture while taking things apart.
    To be honest, I don't have a lot of mechanical experience and I'm not exactly sure where the TV cable is. After scouring through the engine compartment, I did find one thing that was obviously broken, though. I've highlighted it in the pictures. It had some kind of clip on it to hold it in place, but the clip was gone and this piece was just wiggling freely. The location is at the top of the hose to the air filter. I put a little tension clip on it to keep it in place, but I'm not sure how well that will hold.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by potshotscott View Post
    Yes - you'll need enough stuff to get the front end on jack stands. Once you have the car up the exhaust needs to come out, the gas tank needs to be lowered, the drive shaft comes out and then you pull the trans. Now that I've done it I could probably remove and replace a transmission in about 4 hours if you have everything you need. Having a transmission jack is super handy but you can lower a trans without one. I highly recommend doing this in a garage space. Doing this on the street would suck IMO.

    There are many threads on later model trans swaps. I went from 4R70W to a newer 4R70W. There's a little more to going from an AOD to a 4R70W but it seems to be mostly around wiring up the connector to the car. If you want to meet for coffee to talk through all this I'd be glad to meet. I travel a bit for work but am home for the next two weeks. LMK.
    That sounds great. I'll have to see when I have some time in the near future. Do you know where I can check the compatibility of a transmission? I've seen some of the 4R70W transmissions for sale but they're usually close to a grand. I've seen other transmissions from early 90s Mustangs going for two or three hundred, though. It's tempting to buy that SC out in McKenzie Bridge and use that tranny, but I think the cost of towing it home would probably be a little painful.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Salem, OR
    Posts
    6,293
    Quote Originally Posted by thesecretblack View Post
    To be honest, I don't have a lot of mechanical experience and I'm not exactly sure where the TV cable is. I put a little tension clip on it to keep it in place, but I'm not sure how well that will hold.
    Bingo - that's it. You may want to see if a local trans shop/dealer (Scott or someone familiar w/these cars?) can fix that asap. Don't drive with it disconnected. You can smoke the trans in short order (if it isn't already).

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    759
    If you take it to a shop I'd visit Transmission Solutions on West 11th. Tony knows what he's doing. He rebuilt the trans on my Toyota minivan a while ago and its still pwnin

    I could look at it if you'd like or you could look under the hood of mine to see what kind of parts you're looking for. You might be able to rob parts off of an LX but I kinda doubt it.

Similar Threads

  1. New Member/SC Owner From Northern CA
    By Xounlistedxox in forum New SC Owner Forum
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-05-2014, 08:09 PM
  2. Hello all! New SC owner, pulled it from a field!
    By UBHSTRY in forum New SC Owner Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-09-2012, 06:44 PM
  3. new sc owner from ohio
    By bjwsc90 in forum New SC Owner Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-15-2010, 08:45 AM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-11-2007, 09:38 PM
  5. Hello from a hopeful new SC owner.
    By Mustangshane in forum New SC Owner Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-08-2005, 09:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •