My totaled '89 SC Daily Driver

Yikes--that sucks. Sorry to hear about the accident. When i'm driving my SC, i'm always on the lookout in traffic, for idiots--i've had a couple of close calls (ie: i'm in someone's blind spot and they start to pull into my lane and cut me off, but i've had to slow down to avoid the crash). Obviously, some accidents (such as yours) when the guy does something like that, it's impossible to avoid. With defensive driving, I do my best to read other traffic to see things that don't add up......like when someone in the other lane is riding someone's ~~~, chances are, that means that they're going to try to jam themselves into my lane right in front of me.

Well he is some 3rd party guy doing the assessment (given the insurance company is based out of Frankenmuth MI). My primary objective is to make sure the Michigan Agent working the claim understands this is a SOLID SOUTHERN car and not a rusted out bucket (as it would be in Michigan). I am sure the mindset has to be the car is a bucket given the sounds of saying it's a 1989 Thunderbird w/ 215k over the phone.

Looking on Autotrader, ebay and well this forum...truely a 5spd SC of any year seems to bring 2500 to 3K unless it's along the lines of a "project"...I wouldn't call this car a "project" so I certainly hope thats understood. It has 215K miles for it's been serviced over the years. Also trying to locate a 1989 SC is like a needle in the haystack too...I am courious if they will use data from 89-93 for comparisons...the one's I do find are low mileage show room quality or complete projects that have sank into the earth from not moving for 10 years. Should be interesting to see the returned dollar figure.

-Tim

Tim sorry that happened to you, just glad to hear your OK! ;)

Buy her back and put her back together when its all said and done!

Man that blows Tim !! Thank god you are ok and that's crazy how it was close to the place from the mustang wreck. I was hoping to buy my SC back from ya someday. I'm selling my Subaru for cheap if you need a daily but I just can't see you in one :D

Chris C.

Mine almost bit it today ... I was going through a traffic light that had just turned yellow, just under the speed limit of 45mph. A few cars were waiting in the left turn lane facing me. One of them decided he was going to make it through on yellow, and started to turn in front of me. I slammed on my brakes - the pavement was dry - the front wheels started to slide - tires howling loudly, smoke wafting into the car. The other driver saw that I was coming, and veered back onto his side of the road. We narrowly avoided hitting each other. Close call.

That driver was in a Prius. I saw a different Prius wrecked on the highway 10 minutes later. A little unusual.

Glad you're ok Tim.

@#$%^&*()(*&^$ old people driving ...!

There was a very similar "accident" (and I use the word loosely) to what happened to you here in Florida that occurred shortly after my arrival in state that was caused by a 92 yo driver that cost the lives of three utility workers. I really have issues with old people driving years beyond having lost most of their faculties.

I say that I use the term loosely because these events truly are not accidents but are avoidable by stricter monitoring of older drivers. I.E. shortening their license renewal period, pulling their licenses when they become too blind or feeble to drive, etc.

http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2015/04/92-year-old_driver_triggers_ac.html

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...-killed-four-corners-lake-20150402-story.html

Last edited:
Well left a voicemail today letting the insurance company know the State Trooper e-mailed me to say the police report systems are up and the report can be seen/downloaded...hopefully this means now that we're at day 12 something will finally take place.

I also took the advice of others and placed an order with Marti to see what the break down would be on this cars options. I am sure this was one of the more popular combos offered of white on grey cloth. Nonetheless, hopefully the report will help get the point acrossed more directly that this car was limited production.

At the end of the day I certainly have learned that I will be changing the insurance on my 1995 SC. If I were to go through this twice but with a car that's heavily modified I would be sick.

-Tim

Well left a voicemail today letting the insurance company know the State Trooper e-mailed me to say the police report systems are up and the report can be seen/downloaded...hopefully this means now that we're at day 12 something will finally take place.

I also took the advice of others and placed an order with Marti to see what the break down would be on this cars options. I am sure this was one of the more popular combos offered of white on grey cloth. Nonetheless, hopefully the report will help get the point acrossed more directly that this car was limited production.

At the end of the day I certainly have learned that I will be changing the insurance on my 1995 SC. If I were to go through this twice but with a car that's heavily modified I would be sick.

-Tim

Tim, it will all work out, the main thing is your ok! :D I agree if it was modded out it would have been a ~~~~ show!

So day 15 - still no word from the 80 year old man who caused the accident...his insurance claims dept still states they've yet to get a police report. In the mean time I have channeled my anger, by getting a Marti report. Low and behold this car is 1 of 819 with the same Paint and Trim codes...I forwarded this information to Kurt to publish on the forums.

Hopefully the $47 spent to get this information will allow me more to stand on, and I am sure at this point the agent is well aware that when it comes to settle I am going to be a real treat since this entire ordeal has taken much longer than it should.

This weekend I am going to work on repairing the damages or atleast getting it straight and looking like an open wheel car...yet another week and no further along than I was before.

-Tim

Well was a productive weekend, tore off all the damaged parts and worked on repairing the car. Needless I didn't get as far as I would have liked for to make it look right the frame will need to be straightened up front. Hopefully I can set up an appointment today to get a local bodyshop to work on that for me...I would also assume they have the ability to fix the alignment also.

Also this morning I spoke with the insurance company again - they said they spoke with the policy holder FINALLY (80 year old man) and he told them he didn't cause the wreck and said he wasn't at fault. I damn near lost it on the phone, but kept my head and provided them the State Troopers information to get this wrapped up.

Anyways here's some more pictures.

-Tim

Attachments

• 20150502_131311.jpg
    20150502_131311.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 330
  • 20150502_133313.jpg
    20150502_133313.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 199
  • 20150502_145833.jpg
    20150502_145833.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 202
  • 20150502_150701.jpg
    20150502_150701.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 202
  • 20150502_175535.jpg
    20150502_175535.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Those bumper supports really don't look as bad as I would have expected, considering how mangled the bumper cover was! Looks like the steel bumper survived pretty well too.

Well this saga might finally be coming to a close, but anyone reading this...I would certainly like to hear your advice or experience.

Up until today his insurance was still sitting tall with the he said he didn't do it, we don't have a police report to say otherwise. Please keep in mind its been 1 month since the accident. So I took matters in my own hands, I reached out to the state police, got a report and also had the police call, inform he was at fault and get them a police report.

My questions are this...now that the claim is finally going to move forward - has anyone used a Marti report to improve their position on the cars value. Again I found this car to be 1 of 891 with my report. Also the fact he lied and avoided the insurance company for a month, does that give me any return or stake (or is being pissed off nothing of value)...I mean if he would have called the day after the accident this would be done with in the mean time I've been hitching rides, missed some work getting my house in order...it's been a real pain.

What should I expect and what should my position be...I feel I want to be the guy that when they get off the phone I come off as the biggest jerk they've ever spoken too given all thats happened.

Thoughts.

-Tim

Last edited:
Well this saga might finally be coming to a close, but anyone reading this...I would certainly like to hear your advice or experience.

Up until today his insurance was still sitting tall with the he said he didn't do it, we don't have a police report to say otherwise. Please keep in mind its been 1 month since the accident. So I took matters in my own hands, I reached out to the state police, got a report and also had the police call, inform he was at fault and get them a police report.

My questions are this...now that the claim is finally going to move forward - has anyone used a Marti report to improve their position on the cars value. Again I found this car to be 1 of 891 with my report. Also the fact he lied and avoided the insurance company for a month, does that give me any return or stake (or is being pissed off nothing of value)...I mean if he would have called the day after the accident this would be done with in the mean time I've been hitching rides, missed some work getting my house in order...it's been a real pain.

What should I expect and what should my position be...I feel I want to be the guy that when they get off the phone I come off as the biggest jerk they've ever spoken too given all thats happened.

Thoughts.

-Tim

You will persevere, documentation always helps!, His insurance will have to settle, your insurance is supposed to be doing all this for you and go after his insurance! Its just delaying everything so what your doing will speed the process up! :D

Keep in mind that insurance companies are used to speaking to big jerks, so don't assume it will be easy to impress them - when we get irritated, it makes their job easier, not harder. Might be better to stay calm and carry a big stick, instead, and there are two words that will help to keep that conversation short: my attorney...

Well got an estimate from the insurance today - they offered me 2,053 for them to take it or 1640 for me to buy it back. I told them to review some things and hit me with a better offer for I know I couldn't buy another 89 5spd for 2100 in the same mechanical condition.

At this point if they can get them up to 2,500 in their offer I will probably walk away from things and let them have it. I found a 95 5spd close by that is within that range and would be far nicer and less work involved. With the wedding planning and the process of purchasing a house and other items going on with life, I don't know if it's in my best interest to take on another project. Also I'd always have a car badged with a totalled title which would only kill me in the long wrong.

Guess we shall see - so far I can't say the Marti report did anything for me on the valuation.

-Tim

Well got an estimate from the insurance today - they offered me 2,053 for them to take it or 1640 for me to buy it back. I told them to review some things and hit me with a better offer for I know I couldn't buy another 89 5spd for 2100 in the same mechanical condition.

At this point if they can get them up to 2,500 in their offer I will probably walk away from things and let them have it. I found a 95 5spd close by that is within that range and would be far nicer and less work involved. With the wedding planning and the process of purchasing a house and other items going on with life, I don't know if it's in my best interest to take on another project. Also I'd always have a car badged with a totalled title which would only kill me in the long wrong.

Guess we shall see - so far I can't say the Marti report did anything for me on the valuation.

-Tim

They will come back with a better counter offer it will work out! :D

Sorry to hear that it's taken so long. In all seriousness, i'd almost completely reached the end of my rope about 12 years ago, when my '84 Cutlass Supreme Brougham (nicely customized) had got into an accident. I had the right of way, going through a green light, and a guy had ran a red and smashed into my driver's door at about 50-60 km/ hr. He completely accordioned the front of his Camaro, and the only thing in between that and me was a half a foot of metal in the door, and thankfully, the Cutlass was built like a tank.

Not only was this guy not satisfied enough with not killing or seriously injuring someone, but he thought it would be a great idea to claim a "not at fault" status.

What the hell is wrong with people?

Well yesterday was a good day..changed my direction on what I plan to do.

Yesterday was all you can carry for $65 @ Pick n Save. I went not thinking there would be anything MN12 related but came across a 93 LX. Needless I got hood, bumper cover, header panel, headlights and corner light...also scored a m90 off a 3800 Pontiac and some other odds and ends. After taxes 68$ was spent and I'll most likely come out ahead with selling the GM M90.

Cars at local body shop currently, they going to straighten things out for me, I'll put it back together and then an economy paint job of some sort will go on it.

Hopefully I will know more from the insurance company this week.

-Tim

Don't know much about insurance claims down there but...

Wouldn't the car go to auction and at best fetch $700.00

This is a public forum and one of the sources they would use... if they know what their doing.

Paul

That's exactly how these cars are devalued to be worthless @ resale. I just saw a 429 boss mustang not sell for 160000 at auction no long ago as well so the answer to your question would be no. The bottom line insurance value on an 89 sc with grundy is 6000 so why should they be worth any less than that? It's not a ford tempo it's a limited production classic car smh.

Back