My totaled '89 SC Daily Driver

NADA values have the 1989 SC model valued at 3750-10500 currently. When I started this process the values where 500 less...so essentially in 1 months time the values have went up.

The insurance agent I am working with has used values off autotrader,ebay,craigslist...the tough part has been finding another 1989 Thunderbird SC with the 5 Speed Option.

Also first comps were based on 89 auto SCs that had lived life in Michigan. Given these are collectors I told her that wasn't going to fly for I can only speculate a 26 year old high mileage SC in Michigan is rusted out. Also the autos are dime a dozen in comparison to 5 Speed cars...so again I think that's a poor comp.

The market (outside this forum) is strong for these cars and everyone I find on other sources that is a solid driver starts at 3500 regardless of mileage. The real problem is the gap between what's offered on the market. This cars are either project condition or showroom garage queens. It's been hard to find a maintained high mileage drive to compare value.

-Tim

Last edited:
The real problem is the gap between what's offered on the market. This cars are either project condition or showroom garage queens. It's been hard to find a maintained high mileage drive to compare value.

-Tim

I agree. The cars are either thrashed beyond repair, usually, or very well maintained. It's tough to find a daily driver that is in decent condition. The cars are just at that age where even a mildly driven car/ summer only vehicle (ie: 100K-150K miles) that is driven out on the highway for longer trips and things like that is just at the point where gremlins are in the system of the car, and not easily diagnosed gremlins, either.

These cars also suffer the fate of having a fair bit of modifications; some that are due to the challenge of whether one keeps these cars all original, or whether they ditch the (then cutting edge) factory technology (ie: factory stereo system) and go with an improvement. The problem is that the improvements aren't necessarily improvements, in terms of collector types that are looking for totally original, stock, unmolested examples of these cars.

These cars also suffer the fate of having a fair bit of modifications; some that are due to the challenge of whether one keeps these cars all original, or whether they ditch the (then cutting edge) factory technology (ie: factory stereo system) and go with an improvement.

Or, say, an abs system on the early models that blows chunks, and has limited replacement parts unless you want a rebuild for 1500 bucks that fails the next year one day out of warranty.

Don't know much about insurance claims down there but...

Wouldn't the car go to auction and at best fetch $700.00

This is a public forum and one of the sources they would use... if they know what their doing.

Paul

Tim

I'm referring to the buyback price.

I think you should be working on that $ as well.

Paul

Tim

I'm referring to the buyback price.

I think you should be working on that $ as well.

Paul

That was outlined prior (I know this is a lengthy thread)...buy back was essentially $400 for me to keep the car with a totaled title and walk away with some cash also. I told them on day one, I was a collector of these cars, and that was something I would most likely consider. It also helps that I have parts cars and the means to make the repairs...and then the dumb luck at the pick n save this weekend.

The main factor now is figuring out the value of a survivor daily driven up kept SC. That market doesn't exist for it's either a project car or a showroom piece. Also the fact the odometer gears WORK is a kick in the pants and I am not sure how to tell the lady honestly that most of these 100k SC's probably are because the odometer quit working moons ago..but again how do you explain this to an adjuster?

The entire "whats considered a comp" is tricky too - does a car with extremely worn/torn leather have more value than good condition cloth...again in the adjusters system it just gives a value for leather...and doesn't factor how hard it is to find these seats in good condition period. In the same system the Automatic is considered more value than a Standard...eventually some human involvement has to trump a computer generated return.

-Tim

Tim

I'm suggesting salvage is off by up to 80%

How much is write off out?

Numbers suggest $2750.00-3500.00 for fair purchase price and $700.00 for scrap.

$3100.00 to walk away and $2400.00 for salvage.

I think it's important they know how valuable the car is regardless of condition.

My opinion only but It's goes a long way in justifying a street worthy vehicle value.

Paul

Sounds like your numbers are close to mine - I told her $2950 to walk away $2550 to keep...that was using 15% less than the lowest NADA value - seems like were both coming up with the same ballpark numbers in our thinking.

The insurance intial offered roughly 1k less than the figures you and I have come up with...now it's just a waiting game to see what happens. I submitted comps for a week until the adjuster said "I can see what you're saying about values, what figure did you have in mind to consider fair?"...this was on Thursday of last week and I've yet to hear anything back.

-Tim

Finding comparable vehicles is only one part of the equation. You also need to address the comps they have already used. They should have sent you a report with a list of the comparable vehicles. Make some phone calls on those cars, find out what condition they actually are in, whether their odometers actually work, whether they are a rust-bucket underneath, etc. Being able to say "here are 10 cars for more money is one thing, but if you can also demonstrate how and why the ones you found are actually comparable and how and why the ones they found are not comparable, that will support it much better.

Also, don't make it a waiting game. They have the money and you don't, so they win in a waiting game. Don't be obnoxious or mean to them, but be a thorn in their side. Speak to the adjuster every day. Email in more comps or info every day. If you let it lie, they will move your file to the bottom of the stack of 10 cars or so they have to handle that day, but if every day they have to spend time on your file, they will want to resolve it quickly.

Last edited:
Well yesterday we finalized the claim with me keeping the car and getting $2200...I got em to come up $600. Overall I feel comfortable with this, given the car has 215K on the clock and again is nothing more than a daily driver in terms of condition I feel it's relatively fair

As mentioned early I have all the parts to fix it at no cost out of pocket at this point (sold some parts to offset the pick n save purchase). Also was able to get new headlights as well. I expect getting the frame straight at the body shop will have some expense, and also getting the dent pulled from the rear quarter. From there I should be able to handle painting the car on my own.

Probably have a better looking car than when I started and some money in hand, so I can't complain too loudly. Also with a fresh paint job I'll probably throw on the chrome cobra Rs and Tint the windows...so it will go from a beater to a good looking coupe after it's said and done with.

-Tim

Well yesterday we finalized the claim with me keeping the car and getting $2200...I got em to come up $600. Overall I feel comfortable with this, given the car has 215K on the clock and again is nothing more than a daily driver in terms of condition I feel it's relatively fair

As mentioned early I have all the parts to fix it at no cost out of pocket at this point (sold some parts to offset the pick n save purchase). Also was able to get new headlights as well. I expect getting the frame straight at the body shop will have some expense, and also getting the dent pulled from the rear quarter. From there I should be able to handle painting the car on my own.

Probably have a better looking car than when I started and some money in hand, so I can't complain too loudly. Also with a fresh paint job I'll probably throw on the chrome cobra Rs and Tint the windows...so it will go from a beater to a good looking coupe after it's said and done with.

-Tim

Good Job Tim CONGRATZ!

Sweet !! You saved my old SC !! Good job Tim, can't wait to see it when you work your magic on her. Wonder how many people here know how much I sold it to you for lol

Chris C.

Well picked the car up from the frame shop today, and then drove it over the alignment shop I trust. Hopefully by this evening the suspension will be as straight as the frame work. Turned some heads driving down the road in a car that looked like an open wheel dirt track car.

This weekend I will work on getting the new body panels on it and then setting up an appointment with Macco to pull the dents and put a Presidental special on it (same as it had before the wreck). Also purchased 4 new 245/45/17s tires today. After it's painted I plan to toss the Chrome Cobra Rs I have on it and the lowering springs I have. Should make it look a little more respectable than it's current/pre-wreck appearance.

Guess after it's all said and done with it should look better than when I started for very little invested on my end. I'll even work on putting the interior fully back together and perhaps tinting the windows.

I must say, it felt great to be back in a 5spd SC today even if it wasn't tracking straight down the road. :D

-Tim

Made some progress this weekend. The steering was jacked for the inner tie rod end was bent from the impact. Installed a new inner and outer tie rod and tomorrow the shop will align the car. The shop wanted $250 to install $30 parts so..yeah did that myself over the weekend.

Also this weekend I installed all the body parts. The shop did a great job lining everything back up. I rattle canned the parts for the time being...it will be going to a body man and getting fresh pain't all around here in a few weeks.

Also tomorrow I will be getting new tires on the rims I installed. Overall it is coming together slowly.

20150621_200525.jpg20150621_195753.jpg

-Tim

Last edited:
Looking good. Now the two bumper covers match, just keep going down the side with the rattle can.:)

Back