Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My totaled '89 SC Daily Driver

Well this saga might finally be coming to a close, but anyone reading this...I would certainly like to hear your advice or experience.

Up until today his insurance was still sitting tall with the he said he didn't do it, we don't have a police report to say otherwise. Please keep in mind its been 1 month since the accident. So I took matters in my own hands, I reached out to the state police, got a report and also had the police call, inform he was at fault and get them a police report.

My questions are this...now that the claim is finally going to move forward - has anyone used a Marti report to improve their position on the cars value. Again I found this car to be 1 of 891 with my report. Also the fact he lied and avoided the insurance company for a month, does that give me any return or stake (or is being pissed off nothing of value)...I mean if he would have called the day after the accident this would be done with in the mean time I've been hitching rides, missed some work getting my house in order...it's been a real pain.

What should I expect and what should my position be...I feel I want to be the guy that when they get off the phone I come off as the biggest jerk they've ever spoken too given all thats happened.

Thoughts.

-Tim
    Last edited by Tim Groth; 05-08-2015 at 01:35 PM.
    Current Collection
    1994 Thunderbird SC - Auto converted to 5spd

1995 Thunderbird SC - Auto

1994 Thunderbird SC - 5spd
    1989 Thunderbird SC - 5spd - Daily Driver
    1990 Thunder/Cougar XR7 - 5spd
    1994 Thunderbird SC - 3v Project

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Groth View Post
    Well this saga might finally be coming to a close, but anyone reading this...I would certainly like to hear your advice or experience.

Up until today his insurance was still sitting tall with the he said he didn't do it, we don't have a police report to say otherwise. Please keep in mind its been 1 month since the accident. So I took matters in my own hands, I reached out to the state police, got a report and also had the police call, inform he was at fault and get them a police report.

My questions are this...now that the claim is finally going to move forward - has anyone used a Marti report to improve their position on the cars value. Again I found this car to be 1 of 891 with my report. Also the fact he lied and avoided the insurance company for a month, does that give me any return or stake (or is being pissed off nothing of value)...I mean if he would have called the day after the accident this would be done with in the mean time I've been hitching rides, missed some work getting my house in order...it's been a real pain.

What should I expect and what should my position be...I feel I want to be the guy that when they get off the phone I come off as the biggest jerk they've ever spoken too given all thats happened.

Thoughts.

-Tim
    You will persevere, documentation always helps!, His insurance will have to settle, your insurance is supposed to be doing all this for you and go after his insurance! Its just delaying everything so what your doing will speed the process up!

Keep in mind that insurance companies are used to speaking to big jerks, so don't assume it will be easy to impress them - when we get irritated, it makes their job easier, not harder. Might be better to stay calm and carry a big stick, instead, and there are two words that will help to keep that conversation short: my attorney...

Any missed work needs to be documented and they should pay for!
    93 SC Red Aod 4.2/2.3lwhipple 422rwhp 11.360
    2013 Shootout Bracket ET First Place
    2015 Shootout Car Show Honerable Mention
    2016 Shootout Mod-1 First Place
    2018 Shootout Pro Street Runner Up
    Coming soon new motor 2300 TVS etc..
    90 35th aod stock, 90 5 speed Bolton Build in progress

Well got an estimate from the insurance today - they offered me 2,053 for them to take it or 1640 for me to buy it back. I told them to review some things and hit me with a better offer for I know I couldn't buy another 89 5spd for 2100 in the same mechanical condition.

At this point if they can get them up to 2,500 in their offer I will probably walk away from things and let them have it. I found a 95 5spd close by that is within that range and would be far nicer and less work involved. With the wedding planning and the process of purchasing a house and other items going on with life, I don't know if it's in my best interest to take on another project. Also I'd always have a car badged with a totalled title which would only kill me in the long wrong.

Guess we shall see - so far I can't say the Marti report did anything for me on the valuation.

-Tim
    Current Collection

Well got an estimate from the insurance today - they offered me 2,053 for them to take it or 1640 for me to buy it back. I told them to review some things and hit me with a better offer for I know I couldn't buy another 89 5spd for 2100 in the same mechanical condition.

At this point if they can get them up to 2,500 in their offer I will probably walk away from things and let them have it. I found a 95 5spd close by that is within that range and would be far nicer and less work involved. With the wedding planning and the process of purchasing a house and other items going on with life, I don't know if it's in my best interest to take on another project. Also I'd always have a car badged with a totalled title which would only kill me in the long wrong.

Guess we shall see - so far I can't say the Marti report did anything for me on the valuation.

-Tim
    They will come back with a better counter offer it will work out!

Sorry to hear that it's taken so long. In all seriousness, i'd almost completely reached the end of my rope about 12 years ago, when my '84 Cutlass Supreme Brougham (nicely customized) had got into an accident. I had the right of way, going through a green light, and a guy had ran a red and smashed into my driver's door at about 50-60 km/ hr. He completely accordioned the front of his Camaro, and the only thing in between that and me was a half a foot of metal in the door, and thankfully, the Cutlass was built like a tank.

Not only was this guy not satisfied enough with not killing or seriously injuring someone, but he thought it would be a great idea to claim a "not at fault" status.

What the hell is wrong with people?

Well yesterday was a good day..changed my direction on what I plan to do.

Yesterday was all you can carry for $65 @ Pick n Save. I went not thinking there would be anything MN12 related but came across a 93 LX. Needless I got hood, bumper cover, header panel, headlights and corner light...also scored a m90 off a 3800 Pontiac and some other odds and ends. After taxes 68$ was spent and I'll most likely come out ahead with selling the GM M90.

Cars at local body shop currently, they going to straighten things out for me, I'll put it back together and then an economy paint job of some sort will go on it.

Hopefully I will know more from the insurance company this week.

-Tim
    Current Collection

Don't know much about insurance claims down there but...

Wouldn't the car go to auction and at best fetch $700.00

This is a public forum and one of the sources they would use... if they know what their doing.

Paul

That's exactly how these cars are devalued to be worthless @ resale. I just saw a 429 boss mustang not sell for 160000 at auction no long ago as well so the answer to your question would be no. The bottom line insurance value on an 89 sc with grundy is 6000 so why should they be worth any less than that? It's not a ford tempo it's a limited production classic car smh.
    member #2488
    2016 shootout Best of show award
    2015 Carlisle Best of show modified, 1st place 92 93 SC and Celebrity's choice award winner.
    2014 Shootout Best of show 1st award winner
    2014 Comp cams VIP Car craft street machine nationals
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage.p...e_view&id=7152

NADA values have the 1989 SC model valued at 3750-10500 currently. When I started this process the values where 500 less...so essentially in 1 months time the values have went up.

The insurance agent I am working with has used values off autotrader,ebay,craigslist...the tough part has been finding another 1989 Thunderbird SC with the 5 Speed Option.

Also first comps were based on 89 auto SCs that had lived life in Michigan. Given these are collectors I told her that wasn't going to fly for I can only speculate a 26 year old high mileage SC in Michigan is rusted out. Also the autos are dime a dozen in comparison to 5 Speed cars...so again I think that's a poor comp.

The market (outside this forum) is strong for these cars and everyone I find on other sources that is a solid driver starts at 3500 regardless of mileage. The real problem is the gap between what's offered on the market. This cars are either project condition or showroom garage queens. It's been hard to find a maintained high mileage drive to compare value.

-Tim
    Last edited by Tim Groth; 05-17-2015 at 08:22 PM.
    Current Collection

The real problem is the gap between what's offered on the market. This cars are either project condition or showroom garage queens. It's been hard to find a maintained high mileage drive to compare value.

-Tim
    I agree. The cars are either thrashed beyond repair, usually, or very well maintained. It's tough to find a daily driver that is in decent condition. The cars are just at that age where even a mildly driven car/ summer only vehicle (ie: 100K-150K miles) that is driven out on the highway for longer trips and things like that is just at the point where gremlins are in the system of the car, and not easily diagnosed gremlins, either.

These cars also suffer the fate of having a fair bit of modifications; some that are due to the challenge of whether one keeps these cars all original, or whether they ditch the (then cutting edge) factory technology (ie: factory stereo system) and go with an improvement. The problem is that the improvements aren't necessarily improvements, in terms of collector types that are looking for totally original, stock, unmolested examples of these cars.

Quote Originally Posted by 1FSTBRD View Post
    These cars also suffer the fate of having a fair bit of modifications; some that are due to the challenge of whether one keeps these cars all original, or whether they ditch the (then cutting edge) factory technology (ie: factory stereo system) and go with an improvement.

Or, say, an abs system on the early models that blows chunks, and has limited replacement parts unless you want a rebuild for 1500 bucks that fails the next year one day out of warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by shoalcracker View Post
    Don't know much about insurance claims down there but...

Wouldn't the car go to auction and at best fetch $700.00

This is a public forum and one of the sources they would use... if they know what their doing.

Paul
    Tim

I'm referring to the buyback price.

I think you should be working on that $ as well.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by shoalcracker View Post
    Tim

I'm referring to the buyback price.

I think you should be working on that $ as well.

Paul
    That was outlined prior (I know this is a lengthy thread)...buy back was essentially $400 for me to keep the car with a totaled title and walk away with some cash also. I told them on day one, I was a collector of these cars, and that was something I would most likely consider. It also helps that I have parts cars and the means to make the repairs...and then the dumb luck at the pick n save this weekend.

The main factor now is figuring out the value of a survivor daily driven up kept SC. That market doesn't exist for it's either a project car or a showroom piece. Also the fact the odometer gears WORK is a kick in the pants and I am not sure how to tell the lady honestly that most of these 100k SC's probably are because the odometer quit working moons ago..but again how do you explain this to an adjuster?

The entire "whats considered a comp" is tricky too - does a car with extremely worn/torn leather have more value than good condition cloth...again in the adjusters system it just gives a value for leather...and doesn't factor how hard it is to find these seats in good condition period. In the same system the Automatic is considered more value than a Standard...eventually some human involvement has to trump a computer generated return.

-Tim
    Current Collection