Hunting 3,399

Wondering if these numbers posted were with the SVE wheels installed or with a different wheel installed. I know my same style wheel in 18x9 / 18x10 is a heavy wheel combo.

Real impressive numbers either way.

-Tim

Yes, the 3386 weight was with the 10th anny Cobra wheels. They're real Ford wheels, not knockoffs, and 17x9, so they're probably lighter than what you have. With a 255/45-17 Goodyear, each weighs 51 pounds. By way of comparison, my 95 Cobra Rs and 275/40-17 Hoosers were 45 pounds per corner.

I would doubt they weigh that much and they don't move so they are not unsprung weight.

Dust shields are definitely unsprung weight.

Getting back to the glove box, has anyone found a way to lighten it? It seems needlessly heavy. Is there some sort of metal plate in it?

The glove box door assembly weighs 5 lbs, 3 oz. Don't think I wouldn't know.

But in terms of lightening it? no good ways I can think of.

The glove box door assembly weighs 5 lbs, 3 oz. Don't think I wouldn't know.

But in terms of lightening it? no good ways I can think of.

I have not done it yet but it is my intention to gut that sucker. When I am done it will be nothing more than a plastic door with a hinge.

I'll take some pictures of what I find inside.

Not sure if you have this yet Will but the rear steel bumper weights 15lbs....that does not include the foam, just the steel.

Last edited:
Brian, I'm a kind of surprised you wouldn't just remove it entirely.

I guess I just didn't want the big hole in the dash. If I can reduce the glove box to just the plastic outer door and a hinge I will happy. The actual glove box part has to go due to the bars from the roll cage.

I gutted the glove box last night. It is basically 3 pieces the inner black "box", a steel plate, then the outer decorative door.

The steel plate was spot welded to the hinge but did not reinforce the latch at all. I was able to drill out the spot welds and I am just reinstalling the outer door and hinge. Weight savings according to my bathroom scale 4.6lbs with that weight being pretty equal between the box and the plate.

I think the plate could be removed without affecting the functionality of the glove box, the only thing you would sacrifice is the pneumatic shock thing.

Crappy pics......

20150428_201614_resized.jpg

20150428_201637_resized.jpg

That's a great idea Brian! The early model is assembled a little differently, but should be able to be modified the same way. I'll have to check into that. :)

When you said decorative, were you talking about the flower baskets?:D

I will have to do this mod when I get around to finishing my car.

Brian, that's a smart idea. I'm kind of sad I didn't think of it myself, especially considering I've taken the glove box apart to repair the latch.

I just ran out to the garage and did this mod, but I did it just a bit differently. I drilled out the spot welds for the hinge, as you did, but I cut the mounting boss for the hydraulic strut away from the rest of the plate and just bolted that part back in place--it's still held in place by two screws and seems solid enough. I saved just a hair over 2 pounds that way.

Thanks for the idea.

Car parts on the dinning room table.....needless to say Jen wasn't home:cool:

Brian - those are some impressive numbers coming from your 94 SC not too many if any come close to that

Awesome!

Will you be bring the car to Carlisle?

Micha - are you bring your SC to Carlisle this year as well?

Do you still have the metal plate that covers the shifter housing inside the car?

I think so, and I believe I kept if for sound deadening purposes, or maybe just keeping critters out of the car. Of course, I could always run without it for a while and see whether I can tell the difference.

I bought a small black garbage can like this and it's the perfect contour (I think I used one of the sides) to replicate that plate. Just drill a hole in the middle for your shifter. You probably don't want to run without it as exhaust fumes find their way through there.

2956-s.jpg

Thank you

I unfortunately can't make it to Carlisle this year but I'll be at the Shootout for sure!!

Brian,

Sorry to hear you cant make it! Was looking forward to seeing you and the car!! :D

Hoping its a much bigger turn out this year for the Supercoupes....:cool:

Back