Thread: new (kinda) from socal

new (kinda) from socal

planning up picking up a 93 aod sc for next to nothing but of course the catch is a blown head gasket. planning on making this a bit of a toy car and not a daily driver. i've owned a 97 sport, sold it a while ago. plan on picking it up tomorrow will post some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by 93tbrd; 04-19-2015 at 08:12 PM.

more pics as i can only attach 5

so as you can see the spark plusg are dead, car cranks and wants to start but does't. no weird noises coming from the engine while it cranks. the sparks plugs that were pulled were the two rear most on the drivers side.

looks like it has a pretty decent oil leak i need to track down.

also there is a plug pictured coming off the maf, i have no idea what this is supposed to go to but i assume it's rather important if it comes off the same pigtail as the maf wires. shown on this reply in the pictures

there's another plug that is shown hanging near the master cylinder, comes off a bundle of wires about 1" in diameter, i looked to see if anything looked like it wasn't hooked up and couldn't find anything. also shown in this reply's picture.

That loose connector by the MAF appears to be for a coolant level sensor in the overflow tank - I notice your tank doesn't have the hole for a sensor. In the dash, above the radio, is there a small display or just a blank off panel? If you don't have the display (VMM), then that connector isn't used.

The other one looks like maybe it goes the washer fluid level sensor...if you have one. That would be another part of the VMM display.

It might be interesting to check for any codes to see what the car has to say about it's current condition.
    Last edited by KMT; 04-19-2015 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    That loose connector by the MAF appears to be for a coolant level sensor in the overflow tank - I notice your tank doesn't have the hole for a sensor. In the dash, above the radio, is there a small display or just a blank off panel? If you don't have the display (VMM), then that connector isn't used.

The other one looks like maybe it goes the washer fluid level sensor...if you have one. That would be another part of the VMM display.

It might be interesting to check for any codes to see what the car has to say about it's current condition.
    ah ok that makes sense yeah it doesn't have the vmm.

i dont even have an obd1 reader lol. i've only had ob2's and an sct 2. i guess i will have to grab me one hopefully autozone carriers them still.

AZ, eBay - should be less than $40. AZ might even read them for you for free.

AZ, eBay - should be less than $40. AZ might even read them for you for free.
    ha i'm surprised they still sell em. guess that will be the first purchase although this motor is looking toast. plugs are deader than last years romance, no coolant in the radiator. i'm almost afraid to drain the oil in this thing. i have a strong feeling i will find chocolate milk for oil.

guys said the water pump blew, but i think the head gasket blew. or if the water pump did die it cooked the motor and killed the gaskets. need to spend a week and open the motor and see what's all up with this thing.

only reason i bought this was it was 400$

Stick with it and good luck.

Stick with it and good luck.
    i plan on it, been around these cars since i was a kid, uncle had several. matter of fact was a member here years and years ago had a 1st gen sc show car same color as mine (midnight blue?) anywho luckily i can bounce issues off him. but for the most part pretty familiar with these cars.

i think i will be needing much more luck than i can see oh and $$$$$

You don't need a code reader - you can run all the tests with a jumper wire and your check engine light.

http://sbftech.com/index.php?topic=2471.0

Quote Originally Posted by potshotscott View Post
    You don't need a code reader - you can run all the tests with a jumper wire and your check engine light.

http://sbftech.com/index.php?topic=2471.0
    thanks for the diy! might as well save some bucks where i can.

Why do your pics look like they were taken from a camera from the 1970s? lol