Fiberglass Door Installation

If you don't care what the door looks like, it is very easy to make the factory doors extremely lightweight. I did this on the 24 hours of lemons cougar, and while I never took the door off to weigh it, it can't me more than 10 pounds anymore. The heaviest part of the door is the intrusion beam, however removing that with the door intact is pretty much impossible. If you could get a replacement skin for the door, you could cut off the skin, cut out the intrusion beam, and put a new skin on, but I don't know of any source for a new factory door skin. Without that, you have to cut apart the interior shell of the door to get access to it, and there is no easy way to make that look good again.

If you don't care what the door looks like, it is very easy to make the factory doors extremely lightweight. I did this on the 24 hours of lemons cougar, and while I never took the door off to weigh it, it can't me more than 10 pounds anymore. The heaviest part of the door is the intrusion beam, however removing that with the door intact is pretty much impossible. If you could get a replacement skin for the door, you could cut off the skin, cut out the intrusion beam, and put a new skin on, but I don't know of any source for a new factory door skin. Without that, you have to cut apart the interior shell of the door to get access to it, and there is no easy way to make that look good again.

There's always the second way - find a matching set of doors, and use its skins to replace your current one.

RwP

Wow, I can't believe that door made out of Fiber glass are amazing and trust worthy. It seems like it is actually made out of real wood. Do you know how thick this door is, If not view it ? It looks like it would be a decently strong door. Fiber glass door panels are ideal for you because the material is resistant to corrosion and does not rust. These panels will last years despite exposure to weather elements and high temperatures. It offers the strength and durability needed to protect you while at the same time. Door panels made with Fiber glass are surprisingly affordable.

I wouldn't run these doors on the street. They are only 3/16" thick in places and would offer zero protection in a side impact.

...the original doors on my 92 weighed 89lbs for the driver door and 92lbs for the passenger door, no idea why the passenger was heavier i figured if anything it would have weighed less, thats with everything in them, speakers, window, track, hinges, just a simple unbolt

Back