Hood dent solution...

onequiksc

A couple years ago, I had a branch fall off one of the trees hanging over my driveway and dent the SC's hood. I was going to take it to a dent guy but the last time I had him pop one out he damaged the paint, requiring a respray of a panel, so...I tried popping it out myself figuring if I was possibly going to have to repaint the hood what did I have to lose...?

I did ...fair ...at getting the dent level, but not excellent by a long stretch...there were some waves and boogers in the metal....I really didn't have the time or inclination to do the bodywork and paint the hood myself, and a shop wanted $450....what to do? What to do?

Thought about it a while, and being that it was almost centered over the passenger headlight close to the edge of the hood, I thought about a badge...would either cover it completely or at the least help disguise it to the eye. I was about to order an Audi "Supercharged" badge off Amazon, but decided instead to see what I could find at the boneyard.

Took some of the individual chrome plastic lettering off a couple Chrysler Town & Country minivans, took extra letters in case I screwed them up or broke any, and gave it a shot.

At first, I didn't really like it all that much, although I DID very much prefer it to spending $450 on minor bodywork and a paint job on an otherwise perfect hood....as time has gone by (couple months now) I actually like it, it's different and my eyes have gotten used to it.

Don't get me wrong, I would rather the hood be perfect and w/o emblems, but it is what it is and I can't justify the time & work involved doing it myself, or paying someone to make it that way right now. This was ostensibly free (I bought some truck parts that day and pocketed the lettering :) )

I was lucky the dent wasn't farther up the hood or in an unusual spot, because it wouldn't have worked at all...For now, I'm thrilled that the 2 inches of rippled sheet metal is pretty much impossible to notice. :)

Attachments

• sc hood2.JPG
    sc hood2.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 243
  • sc hood3.JPG
    sc hood3.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 236
  • sc hood4.JPG
    sc hood4.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 231
  • sc hood 1.JPG
    sc hood 1.JPG