Intercooler install, can I remove these?

ONLY722

I'm trying to install a front mount intercooler and I got the bumper off and when I slide the intercooler up from the bottom it hits these metal brackets, there's one on either side of the car between the header panel and the core support and it looks like they are only their to hold these little sensors or electric doohickeysimage.jpgimage.jpg. So my question is does anyone know what they are and if I can just yank them out?

They're the airbag impact modules, I had to move mine for my FMIC install. Just make sure that you keep them oriented the same direction, with the arrows on top of them pointing towards the front of the car.

Attachments

• new ic pics without bumper 018.JPG
    new ic pics without bumper 018.JPG
    301.6 KB · Views: 282
  • new ic pics without bumper 019.JPG
    new ic pics without bumper 019.JPG
    312.9 KB · Views: 282
  • new ic pics without bumper 020.JPG
    new ic pics without bumper 020.JPG
    366.3 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
So let's say I went the lazy route and left them unplugged and off the car for a while, would the bags deploy?

So I got the driver side of the intercooler routed to the return plenum, but I'm having trouble getting the tubes ran from the passengers side of the intercooler to the blower, also having trouble searching for pics on here, if anyone could post up pics of their boost tubes and where they are routed that would help out a lot.

Nevermind I got it figured out. Soo close tonight but I ended up 2 clamps short for the couplers :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 235
Here are a couple thoughts. (1) 1989 Tbirds were the safest fords for that year - and they didn't have airbags! (2) Doug Williams got in a 5 mph bumper impact in his 94 and it popped both airbags. Barely did any damage, but trying to source a clean dash from a donor car, then going through the trouble of swapping is enough to make you at least unplug the pass side bag. There is a fine line between safety, and needlessly totaling your car out due to the cost of a dash replacement.

Here are a couple thoughts. (1) 1989 Tbirds were the safest fords for that year - and they didn't have airbags! (2) Doug Williams got in a 5 mph bumper impact in his 94 and it popped both airbags. Barely did any damage, but trying to source a clean dash from a donor car, then going through the trouble of swapping is enough to make you at least unplug the pass side bag. There is a fine line between safety, and needlessly totaling your car out due to the cost of a dash replacement.

Like!

I got rid of that heavy crap.:D

Its a wonder how any of us lived before airbags and child seats came along.

Maybe they actually taught people how to drive back then.

Most insurance companies will total cars this age for nothing more than the airbag going off due to the cost of finding an OE replacement. When I wrecked my MR2, the insurance adjuster called me before he saw the car. The conversation went like this:

"Did the airbag go off?"

"Yes."

"Then it's totaled."

And bear in mind the insurance company gave me more for the wreck than some clean 94-95 5-speeds I've seen on this board.

Another good point made by blown38. Sensors and brackets staying off, heavy air bag assemblies soon to come out of car in the name of light weightedness

Just hope you guys or your passengers never need them. I would rather have a broken nose and black eye than to bash my skull into the windshield. Seat belts or not skull bashing still happens. There are many times the vehicles on the highway than when i grew up-1960s-70s. That may have a bit to play in how we all survived. Anyway I wonder what the insurance company would have to say about disabling a safety system. If you are looking to save that much weight dont register it and dont have that heavy plate and registration paper work. I am not here to fuss, I just wonder about how smart it is?

Back