Thread: Just bought a 1990 SC, looking forward to driving it.

Just bought a 1990 SC, looking forward to driving it.

I have been driving a 1992 SHO 5 speed, but my left knee has been starting to complain when driving in city stop and go traffic.

So it was time to look for another car. Looked at several different cars, most did nothing for me.

Checking out Craigslist once again, I saw an ad for a T-bird Suoercoupe with an automatic transmission just across the US/Canada border in BC. Looked decent, only issue noted was brake issues. So I wnet up to see it and bought. Exchange rate between the US/Canadian dollar really helped, basically a 20% discount.

Brake issue ended up being the apparently typical bad ABS system. Already working on that issue.

Car was a one owner, last licensed 1n 2009, owners eyesight got too bad to drive. So there are the usual gremlins associated with not being driven for a long time.

Ended up paying 1500 US for the car. Since it was 25 years old, no issues at the border with import.

After looking and reading many different threads, I have found out that my car is one of the 35th anniversary edition cars.

This car is a fitting replacement for my beloved SHO. I am sure this car will be just as fun.

congrats on getting a supercoupe im sure you will love it as much as your sho. as far as your abs woes it could be a bad accumalator ball. the earlier abs systems were not that good, they were updated in 93 + models. also whats the mileage? 1500 sounds like a good price

Mileage is 200000km, which roughly translates to 120000 miles.

Sweet! congrats on the purchase...i keep forgetting about the 25 yr rule now. Several interesting cars that can be brought from Canada now.
    Current: 1993 SC 5.0L Auto Red, 1994 SC 5-speed Teal, 1995 SC 5-speed Chameleon Blue
    Old: 89 SC auto Twilight Blue, 89 SC stick Titanium, 90 35th stick, 92 Sport 5.0L stick, 94 SC stick Black, 1994 SC Auto Teal
    Also: 1992 Feature Mustang Convertible 5-speed Vibrant Red, 1991 BMW 850i 6-speed Red, 1994 BMW 850CSi 6-speed Red

www.mamn12.com for your mid-atlantic mn12 needs!

I too have a 92 SHO along with a 91 and 98. Love my SuperCoupe though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal O'Peridol View Post
    I have been driving a 1992 SHO 5 speed, but my left knee has been starting to complain when driving in city stop and go traffic.

So it was time to look for another car. Looked at several different cars, most did nothing for me.

Checking out Craigslist once again, I saw an ad for a T-bird Suoercoupe with an automatic transmission just across the US/Canada border in BC. Looked decent, only issue noted was brake issues. So I wnet up to see it and bought. Exchange rate between the US/Canadian dollar really helped, basically a 20% discount.

Brake issue ended up being the apparently typical bad ABS system. Already working on that issue.

Car was a one owner, last licensed 1n 2009, owners eyesight got too bad to drive. So there are the usual gremlins associated with not being driven for a long time.

Ended up paying 1500 US for the car. Since it was 25 years old, no issues at the border with import.

After looking and reading many different threads, I have found out that my car is one of the 35th anniversary edition cars.

This car is a fitting replacement for my beloved SHO. I am sure this car will be just as fun.
    Hi Hal,

Congratulations! Welcome to the forums.

I am curious about the vehicle import process because I was looking at one for sale in Canada.

Did you bring the vehicle to a US Customs & Border Protection location upon entry? Fill out a lot of forms? Just wondering what was involved from the Canada side and the US side. Also wondering if you drove the vehicle in or towed it.
    God bless!!!

1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~205,000 miles (and climbing) ... driven daily!

Sorry it's late getting back to the forum.....

egarding the Canadian side..... All you need from the Canadian owner is a bill of sale and their current or latest insurance/registration forum. Then you fill out a DOT form HS-7. Here is a link to a fillable on line form.

https://www.pdffiller.com/en/project...m?form_id=6474

Make sure you have a letter from your insurance carrier. You will also need a temp license plate or trip ticket.

Then just go through the usual US border crossing, declare the car, you go inside, they fill out a couple forms and off you go. Very simple actually.