Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: motor removal

Reviving my old thread for a reason.

I am almost ready to remove the motor from this old bus after 3 years of it being sat around! Starting to finally see some good progress

I need to remove the motor from the trans and im not sure how to. The starter is out, im assuming you go through the starter hole to unbolt the torque converter? I have never removed a trans from an automatic vehicle before, so the whole torque converter thing is new to me.

Neill

Neill.

Well, no, you remove the torque converter bolts from the inspection housing; remove the inspection cover and work from there.

The starter DOES have to be out; or at least, it's a lot easier to crank the crank around with the starter out.

RwP

Try to keep it level mostly... or siphon out as much of the fluid into a couple of gallon containers and drain the converter.. there's a small bolt that serves as a drain plug. If you tilt it much, fluid will start pouring out the tailshaft.

The motor is now out, and the new one is lined up ready to drop in.

Im having trouble lining the torque converter and flex plate. Its stopping the motor lining up to the mounts. Flex plate is on the motor, torque converter is in the trans.

Any ideas?

If you try and spin the flywheel, does the tc insist on going w/it? Can you spin the tc at will?

Did you confirm the tc is fully plunged (two steps in?)?

Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    If you try and spin the flywheel, does the tc insist on going w/it? Can you spin the tc at will?

Did you confirm the tc is fully plunged (two steps in?)?
    the TC appears to be fully seated. I have moved it around and it doesnt appear to want to settle any further into the trans.

My issue is i cant even get the motor to sit on the mounts properly due to the way the flex plate and TC keep meshing together. Seems no matter which angle i try, it doesnt want to sit over the K member and line up with the mounts. Not sure which way is the best way to tackle it. Do i bolt the converter to the flex plate before slotting it into the trans? Do i remove the trans? Do i carry on as i am?

i have given up for the night right now as its pretty late, however i would like to give it another shot either tomorrow or monday evening.

neill

Lower the gas tank, pull the drive shaft and move the transmission back a few inches, drop the engine in and then mount the transmission. Once you have the transmission out/down it will be easy to reseat the TC and move the transmission back into place since you won't be dealing with any odd angles.

Quote Originally Posted by superpoop View Post
    the TC appears to be fully seated. I have moved it around and it doesnt appear to want to settle any further into the trans.
    neill
    OK. As far as that goes. When it is seated, the TC studs will not be visible from the side. That is to say if you could line up on side of the trans with other, you wouldn't be able to see ANY part of the TC studs... It can be very frustrating and look close.

You can't get it to seat with it in the car.. you have to do that with it sitting out. Then what I do is to position the TC with 1 stud precisely at the bottom, and then spin the crankshaft, with a wrench, until one of the openings is also exactly at the bottom.. then carefuly mate the trans with the engine.

When you say i cannot seat with it in the car, do you mean flexplate to TC, Motor to trans, or both?