Whats the best cooling options?

Metalcorpse

So, I was wondering what the best options for running cool are. I was hoping to see a higher cfm fan for the radiator and maybe some small here and there things to add to it. Sadly I cant remove much, have to keep it smoggable

So, I was wondering what the best options for running cool are. I was hoping to see a higher cfm fan for the radiator and maybe some small here and there things to add to it. Sadly I cant remove much, have to keep it smoggable

My preference would be to adjust the temperatures at which the fan kicks on. If you want to keep everything stock...you have to get a chip burned with the new parameters. Or....bypass the stock settings by using thermostatic relays set to your specifications for each fan speed. Or just set the the fan to work manually with switches. I think adjusting fan temps will make the biggest difference at keeping the car cool. Stock fan does a good job once it starts working....you can also explore the Mark 8 or Taurus Fan routes...or custom fan install if you so desire.

You also have other things like lower temp T stat, making sure you have the right coolant mixture, fresh coolant, radiator in good nick, add a front air dam for the early SC's or if you hvae a later model make sure your air dam is not missing.

well, I did a complete coolant flush, stock thermostat , ebay 1 piece aluminum rad that was 110 bucks shipped and then I removed my ac condenser because it sits rite in front of the rad. I added just 50/50 walmart coolant and now when driving the needle get 1 cm off the cold line and about 3 cm below the N on a 89 degree day with sun and a black car. I know its accurate because it will reach just above the N at idle and then the cooling fans kick on and I watch it drop instantly. when my cars driving even 25 mph in weather around 90 degrees the cooling fans don't even need to come on..i also do have a cai that runs into my fender and has a scoop on the bottom of my bumper to ram air at the filter as well as how the stock bumper inserts direct air at it too,plus I have a heatbox anyways to shield half the intake hose too and I kept rubber intake hose because it resists heat better than that aftermarket aluminum crap, P.S I used a blazer 4.3 intake tube to get the bend and extra length needed to route into the fender...
also taking out the ac condenser ur intercooler now also gets direct air ! what a stupid ac system setup and stock intake this car has.
now the pusher fan will put air directly onto the rad and the puller fan now pulls just the heat off the rad rather than the heat from the condenser on through the rad..
and befor I did these mods I didn't have any over heating problems but it shur as hell runs ALOT cooler now.

Last edited:
well, I did a complete coolant flush, stock thermostat , ebay 1 piece aluminum rad that was 110 bucks shipped and then I removed my ac condenser because it sits rite in front of the rad. I added just 50/50 walmart coolant and now when driving the needle get 1 cm off the cold line and about 3 cm below the N on a 89 degree day with sun and a black car. I know its accurate because it will reach just above the N at idle and then the cooling fans kick on and I watch it drop instantly. when my cars driving even 25 mph in weather around 90 degrees the cooling fans don't even need to come on..i also do have a cai that runs into my fender and has a scoop on the bottom of my bumper to ram air at the filter as well as how the stock bumper inserts direct air at it too,plus I have a heatbox anyways to shield half the intake hose too and I kept rubber intake hose because it resists heat better than that aftermarket aluminum crap, P.S I used a blazer 4.3 intake tube to get the bend and extra length needed to route into the fender...
also taking out the ac condenser ur intercooler now also gets direct air ! what a stupid ac system setup and stock intake this car has.
now the pusher fan will put air directly onto the rad and the puller fan now pulls just the heat off the rad rather than the heat from the condenser on through the rad..
and befor I did these mods I didn't have any over heating problems but it shur as hell runs ALOT cooler now.

Sounds like you're set! Right now my concern with cooling is with the Chameleon car...the fan does not seem to be coming on until way past the half way mark. Granted I've actually changed nothing in that car for years so at the very least a flush is in order, but as an interim precaution I may disconnect the factory wiring and just splice a thermo relay so I can drive the car and not be concerned with the temp.

Right now my concern with cooling is with the Chameleon car...the fan does not seem to be coming on until way past the half way mark

I'd focus on the sender - make sure the push-on connector is clean and tight. The cooling system might be ok and the sender/gauge might be unreliable.

a lower grade thermostat and all the other stuff I mentioned above plus a tuner to turn the fan on at a lower temp..if it doesn't freeze by you water actually cools better than 50/50 mix...the 50/50 is mainly for antifreeze, you can add all water and one bottle of that supercoolant stuff from an auto store( which tests proved it works for minimal 10 degrees) add it for lube purposes and the extra cooling..

Sounds like you're set! Right now my concern with cooling is with the Chameleon car...the fan does not seem to be coming on until way past the half way mark. Granted I've actually changed nothing in that car for years so at the very least a flush is in order, but as an interim precaution I may disconnect the factory wiring and just splice a thermo relay so I can drive the car and not be concerned with the temp.

I think my car dosent start the fan till about the same as yours. It is a 94 like yours? I Dont remember what my ray gun said when it turns on. I think the gauge is just there to fill the spot and if it gets to the red, its time to stop.

I did everything from, water wetter, lower temp thermostats, turning on fans sooner, GM air dam and even re-coring the stock radiator with a thicker core from a Jeep radiator. All that stuff seemed to help a little, but getting a Griffin aluminum radiator finally solved my cooling system problems. It was night and day difference.

David

I did everything from, water wetter, lower temp thermostats, turning on fans sooner, GM air dam and even re-coring the stock radiator with a thicker core from a Jeep radiator. All that stuff seemed to help a little, but getting a Griffin aluminum radiator finally solved my cooling system problems. It was night and day difference.

David

That's going to be money well spent. It will probably come after my intercooler fan

I run a 4.0l Jeep radiator, 50/50, 160* thermostat, and a 20" fan. Temps stay around 180 but will get up to 195 when it's real muggy out, also no ac condenser. My fan is set to kick on 170 low speed and 180 high speed (mustang). This is a turbo 4.3 stroker so there is a lot of heat coming from the exhaust and turbo.

Back