Before I rip the heads off....

Good evening

What is you boost gauge reading at idle? Less than @ 17 vacuum on a stock gauge is a good indicator of a problem. Check all supercharger, intercooler and vacuum connections. Use search in this forum for more information on this subject. If you have a fuel pressure gauge check fuel pressure. When was the fuel filter last changed?

Good luck.
it idles at about 19 to 20 psi, ill check again though.as for the filter, the guy I bought it from didn't do much of anything maintenance wise.
does this sound like a vacuum problem? can I stop throwing money at it? the problem started the same day the balancer died, could it be a crank sensor issue?

Good morning

Vacuum reading looks good. This would be a good time to pull codes. If your model year is 1989-1993 the crank sensor must have a clearance "air gap" between the crank sensor and balancer vane. If the sensor strikes the vane balancer this would account for the"ticking sound" you are hearing when the engine is running. This could cause an interrupted crank signal and an eventual shut down. Eliminate potential fuel pressure issues with a fuel gauge. The car is most likely due fuel filter change. Your are troubleshooting and finding the causes of the problem not "throwing parts" for a fix. Don't give up.

Good luck.

If you are actually getting a ticking sound from the steering column, it's 99% likely to be electrical arcing inside a failing ignition switch. I would open up the plastic covers and look ASAP. Bear in mind that some of those wires are electrically live at all times, so don't start a fire. You can get the column covers off without breaking anything by using the tilt function, a long Phillips screwdriver, and some careful finagling.

Now, this may not account for all your running issues, but I would look there first.

I don't think it's a bad crank sensor. It would probably not start at all if that was the case. But it's definitely worth checking the position of the balancer vanes against the crank sensor, to make sure it's centered. You can adjust the sensor position to suit the balancer. A matchbook cover is about the right thickness for the air gap each side. You can see it's not got a lot of room for error.

Last edited:
thank you everyone

huge thanks to everyone for your advice, you guys literally held my hand through this repair. I truly appreciate everything you all have done for me. unfortunely the sc died on me today and I think it might be time to hang it up. the transmission is slipping so bad the car died on the side of the road and wouldn't start. I have no idea what to do, itopped off the trans fluid but it just got worse from there. atf drips from the bellhousing and the car cant find a gear. long story short I feel as if the repairs are more complicated than im capable of doing. I don't have the tools, I don't have a lift, and I don't have the money. I don't want to sell it but I don't think I have an option. you guys have been great, ive never meet a community as nice and helpful as you guys. I wish you all the best.

montre

I feel your frustration. Hang on to the car for a bit. If you search for transmission threads you can find some interesting reads on newer Mustang 4R70W swaps. I've got a 94 SC that already had the 4R70W (you're 89-93 has the AOD). There's threads on AOD to 4R70W transplants. Here's the best part: I got my 4R70W from a wrecker out of a 2001 Mustang with 4000 original miles on it for $225.00. I had to add about $50.00 in fluid but for less than $300.00 total I put a newer transmission in. You don't need too much by way of tools to do the swap either. A lot of our cars are beat down and need work. Some have just been driven way too hard for way too long.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?117751-How-to-4r70w-swap&highlight=4r70w+swap

what gets me is the car wont even start it bucks and stumbled before it died.at first starting the car wasn't an issue but when the trans finally gave the car wont run. :confused::confused: I wanted to swap a m5r2 in it regardless but that was gonna be a fun mod not a requirement.

what gets me is the car wont even start it bucks and stumbled before it died.at first starting the car wasn't an issue but when the trans finally gave the car wont run. :confused::confused: I wanted to swap a m5r2 in it regardless but that was gonna be a fun mod not a requirement.

That is weird. It is very strange to have fluid dripping from the bell housing as well. I wonder if the transmission pump or torque converter broke. If so, maybe it's jamming the back of the crank.

I bought my car with no trans at all. Got a used rebuilt AOD from a Grand Marquis for $250. Got a new torque converter for $200. Had a shop put it in. Now I have over 100,000 miles on it.

In your situation, it's hard to tell if that's the only problem.

Good evening

When you topped off the transmission was the engine running? If not then you have probably over serviced it. The ATF could be leaking from the transmission fill pipe where it connects to the transmission. This is because of a aged "o" ring. As for the transmission not responding check the throttle body for a disconnected TV cable. The plastic grommet could be missing and or unable to secure the TV cable. The TV cable is critical for AOD transmission operation.

Good Luck

Meh

Ill look it over when i get it home but idk if ima keep trying. Tires suspension bushings brakes engine problems starter power steering hoses vacuum hoses head light etc. this thing needs it all and i need a daily right now

I think we have all been where you are at some point in time. Which means the question becomes what is your long term goal? Daily driver. The SC is not the best daily driver as it does need a lot of attention. BUT if you do get another daily driver the SC or MN12 platform in general is relatively cheap to repair/rebuild. My SC was in much the same shape. I had set back after set back. After the latest one I contemplated selling it or parting it out. I can't get what I have in it back out of it though. So it has sat for a while. I drove it the other day and fell in love again. The car is so comfortable and fun to drive( even lacking power as mine is right now) that I feel it is well worth the money I have spent rebuilding the whole car practically. The money I have in it is way less than I have in my Mustang with a similar rebuild level though with way less upgraded aftermarket parts. That being said take the advice given above. Hold on to the car for a while. Find a daily driver and then peck at the t bird as you have time and money. I think you will find wrenching on it will be much more enjoyable without the stress of having to depend on it to get you where you need to go. I know I do! Chin up and keep at it. Keep another one of these soon to be gone cars on the road.

^ This

All your issues to do (brakes, bushings etc...) are fun projects to look forward to but only if you have another car to drive while the Tbird is in the garage. Yes sometimes its frustrating but I'm with jdsgallop - these cars are just fun to drive. I travel for work frequently and rent a lot of cars. I've rented all the Fords (Taurus, Fusion, Mustang, C-max etc...) and they're all vanilla compared to my SC. Heck - I've even driven the new Camaro (V8) and the Super Coupe still out performs all of those cars. Handling, quickness and speed - the SC has it all. The SC might not be able to "beat" all those cars at the track but in-town, out in the country and on the interstate the SC is awesome.

The SC is largely unknown to many. Everyone has seen plain jane Thunderbird but the SC should be preserved. I did the math on my car compared to all of the birds made. 1994 SC auto = 1925 made; I've got one! Your year might not be as rare but as time goes on it will be.

if I can figure out how to get the engine running again and a new transmission id keep it but as of now everything is broke. I don't know why but when my trans gave out the car died. it cranks but no start. could I have just put too much fluid in the trans when I topped it off? its a little over the hash marks. I can figure out the trans swap but I need this thing to run.

Can I use a n/a gasket set on a sc?

Back