Cardboard-like factory lower engine cover

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
Heya folks,

Does anyone recall if the factory lower engine cover was only present in 89-93? or did the later model SC's also get it? Hope someone remembers...those things were flimsy and you very seldom see one left in a car. I recall a few posts about it but can't find any of them after searching.

THanks!

I don't recall ever seeing anything made of cardboard on the underside of the engine. Cardboard certainly wouldn't last long at all though! Are you maybe thinking of the rubber piece that goes from the front bumper cover to the front subframe? If so, then yes the 94/95 SC also had that piece.

If you mean the rubber/asphalt splash/air deflector shield/skirt that fits the area from below the radiator/off the plastic front bumper, back, and then over the sway bar....I think all years had it, but I don't think the shape is same for all.
SC_SpashShield01.jpg

If you mean the rubber/asphalt splash/air deflector shield/skirt that fits the area from below the radiator/off the plastic front bumper, back, and then over the sway bar....I think all years had it, but I don't think the shape is same for all.
View attachment 63900

Yessir KMT, that's it! For some reason I vaguely remember this being asked before and it was mentioned that none of the 94-95's came from the factory with it. That's the post I was trying to reference but couldn't find.

Just from my personal ownership I know several of my early cars had it, but none of my later cars did. I have at least one of those things in my parts bin and was considering adding it to the teal car if it was originally equipped from factory.

Is there a gap between the lower radiator frame and the plastics where it would fit on the front edge?

Does your crossbar have two studs for the wingnuts/keepers for the trailing edge?

Last edited:
The 2 studs are on the subframe, not the sway bar. They are on the bar that goes across the front of the subframe. I don't know for sure about 95 SCs, but I know I had a 94SC that had that piece, and a buddy has a 95 4.6 bird that also has it. If anything, I think maybe the 96/97 birds didn't have it due to the different design of the front bumper cover.

Yes my 95 SC has this piece as well. Same stud on the crossbar on both of my 95's but only one still has it installed.

Should be there to help with air flow through the radiator.

Smitty

I'll check on mine....so do those butterfly/wing nuts screw into the studs you guys mention?

I guess since it looks like 94+ SC's also got this, could I trouble you gents to snap some more pix so I see how its supposed to be attached.

Gracias!

so do those butterfly/wing nuts screw into the studs

Correct --- hand tight will do.

It fits against the plastic nose piece at the front edge (the sandwich from the top would be: metal bracket/plastic nose piece/asphalt~rubber skirt), then heads rear, where it curls over the top of the cross bar, extending approx. 1.5~2" down past the two capture studs.

If you go looking for one, try get it in the best shape possible...no heavy oil stains or cracks, so you won't have to bother with it again soon. The first one I had was detached at the cross bar and badly stained...once in place, it took a couple years, but it finally cracked on one end and started dangling/flapping around. Be sure it matches right year car.

-=-
If you look close in this image, you can see the two studs on the cross bar:
envoy019kv9.jpg
-=-

Last edited:
Living in Ohio, not much is left of the "flap" OR the studs on the cross bar on most of my 89's. I've been considering drilling and tapping the cross bar, and making a flap out of either thin galvanized tin (22 gage) that I have access to, or aluminum sheet. It is there to control air movement across the radiator/engine compartment, and none of the pieces should b moving in relationship to each other, so it being a solid piece should not b a problem.

Adam

Aha! I was able to find one of mine. Along with it I found another front piece I removed from the same car. I'm 99% certain this is from a 94+ car....not sure if its 94-95 or 96-97 though. I remember I bought the other piece because I had never seen one before, and because it was in good shape...fasteners and all.

No part numbers in either piece. The bottom piece is the one we've been talking about.

This is the other piece I found.

Living in Ohio, not much is left of the "flap" OR the studs on the cross bar on most of my 89's. I've been considering drilling and tapping the cross bar, and making a flap out of either thin galvanized tin (22 gage) that I have access to, or aluminum sheet. It is there to control air movement across the radiator/engine compartment, and none of the pieces should b moving in relationship to each other, so it being a solid piece should not b a problem.

Adam

You beat me to two points.

1- what exactly was the purpose for this? Some have mentioned air control? but I don't know if this piece covers enough of the bottom to really affect airflow no? The biggest use I see from this is serving as a splash guard to avoid having water splash into the engine bay.

2- can a better piece be manufactured? I figure a better shaped metal piece would be more suitable, but making it is a different story.

Last edited:
> but I don't know if this piece covers enough of the bottom to really affect airflow no?

I think it does double duty: one is for ensuring air flow, which is engineered to promote a negative pressure at the rear of the engine, in turn encouraging flow _into_ the front - the other is to fight off dramatic water intrusion onto the front of the engine...belts, alternator, etc.

The lower piece in the first pic is what I have seen on the 89-90's. Would be very simple to make from flat sheet.

I have not seen any like the second more complicated piece, but I only have played with the early birds. It appears to have the lower valience incorporated into it. I know the lower valience that protrudes downward is to cause a low pressure area behind the radiator to force air to flow up thru it. Without that piece a SC will tend to run hotter, also see MP/SCP extended lower valience, of which I am a fan. Based on that I ASSUME (yeah, yeah, I know :rolleyes:) that it also is for air control. I have cars both with and without, but have never experimented with adding/removing to see what will happen to temps

Adam

Without that piece a SC will tend to run hotter...

I think even more so when the SC has been lowered.

I'd guess you could use sheet stock instead, but I'd try not to pin the plastics so they can move around a bit as needed.

I think that piece contributes to the development of a low pressure area behind the radiator, allowing cooling air to flow through the radiator and not underneath. (Edit: As KMT just said.)

You can run without it, but it will probably cool better with it.

I think the material is called "masticated rubber".

Last edited:
MP has a replacement that was advertised to help keep the engine cooler then the stock unit. Have had one in the box for years. Hoping to install it soon.....

Think this is why the 89-93 got started as that is what their site says it fits. Link below.

http://shop.mpsuperchargers.com/Mag...r-Air-Dam-for-T-Bird-SC-89-93-MPbirdsprAD.htmView attachment 64022

That's the external chin spoiler that goes outside the engine compartment, in front of the radiator's lower intake region on the lower back nose. The OP is asking about the skirt, that is after/below the radiator, basically inside the engine bay.

Back