Starting Issues

pbdevastator

Few weeks back i posted about car wont try to start, it is a 1990 so it does require brake pedal to be pressed to start. Finally had some time to get back at it. So if I use the by pass trick that by passes the ignition switch and brake pedal it does start no issues. We tested to see if we get power to the wire that comes from ignition switch when trying to start car, we did not. Since we have steering column all torn apart and put a new ignition switch in. Was hoping and actually thought for sure that was it, but car does same thing it will not do anything when trying to start it. It does the same thing as if I didn't have brake pedal pressed down. So no clicking or anything just dead. My dad wanted me to ask if there is a fusable link somewhere and what else could be the issue? Brake lights do come on when pedal is pressed btw. Also again today we were able to bypass everything and car started fine. Hopefully I have enough detail here for someone that knows more about cars can quickly give some guidance. Appreciate any help on the matter.

Does your car have the factory alarm system? There is a 'Start interrupt relay' on those that can cause a problem. Make sure your diagnostics cover that

There is no alarm system on the car that I am aware of unless that relay is same thing as the brake pedal relay. Finally got some time this weekend and will be bypassing that.

Well it def wasn't the brake pedal relay as it is now bypassed and still same thing. Also no power from that wire getting to solenoid still.

For those that ever run into this issue, I did finally figure it out. The wire that goes from the brake relay to the starter solenoid is cut somewhere. Ended up running a wire from where the bypass of brake pedal is straight to the starter solenoid and it fired right up turning the key. Of all things a broken/cut wire. Least the brake relay is bypassed now and have a new ignition switch. Old one still works so will keep that around as a backup.

Back