Had a rotten time at the shootout I hope that more people had fun than me

blown1996bird

I had a rotten time at the shootout this year. The work that I was having done to my bird was supposed to be done on Thursday afternoon but was not finished till Saturday morning. I arrived at the hotel after 1 1/2 hour drive and my event registration must have been accidently been wiped from the computer and they had no record of me applying even though I had done so several weeks before. "I did not realize that my registration would be wiped if not payed for and thought that It would be there and I would pay at the event" I registered and pay but when I got trough there was no food left " I did not see any for lunch so I was disgusted and angry so I did not want to be around anybody" so I went over to cracker barrel restraint so I could have lunch. I went to check in for my hotel room and they lost my reservation and I finally got my room after about 20 minutes of searching for it. I ran my car 6 times even through I had the slips I was shoved into the bracket class even though I had a 12.02 a 11.8 and a 12.3 time slips. I decided to no longer to participate in any more racing after that and put my car on the trailer and leave. I did not want to watch any more racing or awards being given out so I went back to the hotel so I could get a good parking space. I got up as early as I could since I had a 750 mile drive home. I am not planning on attending next year but making a trip to Washington DC instead.

I would have done better if I had better drag tires I am going to have to go from a 255 60 16 26 inches tall to a 275 55 17 drag tire 28 inches tall tire. I had to pull the timing back 3 degrees cutting the power by 30 or more and it helped some and that was flashing it from idle and not foot stalling it any when I tried to it just instantly roasted the tires.

Last edited:
I didn't go this year but I know how you feel. went 2 years and both times had nothing but car problems. never really enjoyed going. I will not be going back.
but will say this. seeing the people acting up like kurt sunday and seeing some of the people I know. at least that part was fun. but I when I do get my car up and running. I am only racing in Wichita wich is the closet track at 3 hours away.

I'm sorry to hear you did not have a good time, and I need to respond to a couple of things.

Your shootout registration was not in our records because you did not pay online when you registered, it was not accidentally wiped, it was automatically wiped. The requirement pay when you register was clearly indicated in multiple spots in the online registration system. There was another person who this happened to as well but the other 46 people who registered got it right....I guess we need to be sure to make that even clearer next year.

I need to call total BS on the food though. We had so much left over that we couldn't store it all and were throwing it away. Not sure what time you got to the hotel but the food was out until about 9:30pm Saturday night.

Maybe Chris will get a chance to respond to why you needed to run in bracket class, I'm not sure what happened there.

I had a rotten time at the shootout this year. The work that I was having done to my bird was supposed to be done on Thursday afternoon but was not finished till Saturday morning. I arrived at the hotel after 1 1/2 hour drive and my event registration must have been accidently been wiped from the computer and they had no record of me applying even though I had done so several weeks before. I registered and pay but when I got trough there was no food left so I went over to cracker barrel restraint so I could have lunch. I went to check in for my hotel room and they lost my reservation and I finally got my room after about 20 minutes of searching for it. I ran my car 6 times even through I had the slips I was shoved into the bracket class even though I had a 12.02 a 11.8 and a 12.3 time slips. I decided to no longer to participate in any more racing after that and put my car on the trailer and leave. I did not want to watch any more racing or awards being given out so I went back to the hotel so I could get a good parking space. I got up as early as I could since I had a 750 mile drive home. I am not planning on attending next year but making a trip to Washington DC instead.

I didn't go this year but I know how you feel. went 2 years and both times had nothing but car problems. never really enjoyed going.
This just kills me to be honest! trying to blame the Shootout for a poor performing car! Seriously! That's BS.

Sounds to me like you would have had car problems anywhere you tried to race. No need to blame the Shootout event for a poor performing car!

I didn't go this year but I know how you feel. went 2 years and both times had nothing but car problems. never really enjoyed going.
This just kills me to be honest! trying to blame the Shootout for a poor performing car! Seriously! That's BS.

Sounds to me like you would have had car problems anywhere you tried to race. No need to blame the Shootout event for a poor performing car!

Ya blows mind too. Blew the motor on my car last year after 2nd time trial pass, but stayed around to finish watching the entire shootout. I came back this year with no car just to see everyone and lend a hand where needed. I'll make it whenever possible to continue supporting the Shootout and the SCCoA. Without continued support the Shootout will become a thing of the past like other events. Shane is a good example of this, hasn't had an SC for several years but continues to attend with other cars to race.

I had a rotten time at the shootout this year. The work that I was having done to my bird was supposed to be done on Thursday afternoon but was not finished till Saturday morning. I arrived at the hotel after 1 1/2 hour drive and my event registration must have been accidently been wiped from the computer and they had no record of me applying even though I had done so several weeks before. "I did not realize that my registration would be wiped if not payed for and thought that It would be there and I would pay at the event" I registered and pay but when I got trough there was no food left " I did not see any for lunch so I was disgusted and angry so I did not want to be around anybody" so I went over to cracker barrel restraint so I could have lunch. I went to check in for my hotel room and they lost my reservation and I finally got my room after about 20 minutes of searching for it. I ran my car 6 times even through I had the slips I was shoved into the bracket class even though I had a 12.02 a 11.8 and a 12.3 time slips. I decided to no longer to participate in any more racing after that and put my car on the trailer and leave. I did not want to watch any more racing or awards being given out so I went back to the hotel so I could get a good parking space. I got up as early as I could since I had a 750 mile drive home. I am not planning on attending next year but making a trip to Washington DC instead.

I would have done better if I had better drag tires I am going to have to go from a 255 60 16 26 inches tall to a 275 55 17 drag tire 28 inches tall tire. I had to pull the timing back 3 degrees cutting the power by 30 or more and it helped some and that was flashing it from idle and not foot stalling it any when I tried to it just instantly roasted the tires.

Steve,

You knew it was necessary to pay when registering because you did the same thing last year and I sat in the hotel lobby with you using their computer to get you registered. Like Brian said there was plenty of food for lunch Saturday and even more for dinner Saturday evening. We even posted on every board and all the Tbird FB pages about registration deadline to be sure of getting a shirt was Friday 09-25-15. I don't know what happened that you were placed in a Bracket class but you should have spoken to Chris Wise (race director) if there was a problem or a question instead of loading up and leaving the track.

Sorry you had a bad experience this year, but please don't blame it on the Shootout organizers because that just isn't fair.

David

I didn't go this year but I know how you feel. went 2 years and both times had nothing but car problems. never really enjoyed going. I will not be going back.
but will say this. seeing the people acting up like kurt sunday and seeing some of the people I know. at least that part was fun. but I when I do get my car up and running. I am only racing in Wichita wich is the closet track at 3 hours away.

People were bending over backwards trying to help you too, Jason - I got myself in trouble (the wifey) staying out late for 100% free help last year.

Sorry to hear you guys have had a bad time...it's really just an attitude thing though. There have been numerous guys with problems, disappointments, arrive late, not get to race, make one pass and break the car they DROVE there in, etc, etc. that still had a good or great time. Don't let hiccups ruin the weekend for you - especially if you put a lot into getting there! :)

And I have to back Brian up with what he said above. It was clear to me that payment was due at registration - you couldn't finish registration without paying. I miss details with all kinds of things all the time...that's usually my fault though.

Brian, Chris, everybody did a great job with everything, I think - especially considering the pay they received for putting together the Shootout!

These bird's are a dying breed and events like this will be all that keeps them alive - I hope you'll give it another shot next year - blown1996bird - before giving up on the event!

Steve -

Sorry things didn't work out better.

I was eating a late lunch myself (Around 1:30pm) when I was called in to help you with registering for the Shootout on the computer. When I came back out, lunch was pretty much done. Everything had been cleaned up as we couldn't let food sit out all day, nor could we keep lunch going all day.

We still had food. If you'd asked one of the organizers, I can pretty much guarantee we would have gotten some burgers or dogs out and thrown them on the grill since it was charcoal and would have still been hot.

As for what happened at the track, can't comment much there, but yes - you should have spoken with Chris if you didn't. My guess - if you ran six times and had great times, great. But the one that places you in to your proper class is your qualifying run. If that run isn't better than a 13.799, you're in brackets. What was your qualifying run? Unfortunately, the qualifying run is it. Everything prior to that is test and tune.

May I advise you next time you come to TALK to us before getting upset and leaving early and bitching about your experience here, which we probably could have helped with.

maybe I will have better luck next year at the shoot out I will just keep my time slips so it they don't count me I can get into the class that I deserve to be in. It is kind of hard to be ready all the way when you work 60-70 hr a week. I will still go to Washington dc maybe at a different time. I have always wanted to see the air and space center and all the monuments. If I would have gotten there at the right time then there would have been some food but I did the best I could and I can see why you would put things away. I was also upset about a job that I was quoted for on labor ended up being over twice what I expected and taking 2 days longer than expected causing me to be late to the shoot out.
I could have handled things better than I did but when I get mad the best thing that I can do is to walk away and get away from people and cool down.

Last edited:
Steve,

As stated before in regards to food and registering is in all accounts 100% accurate.

As far as race day goes once time trials were open the track kept every record of every pass until the qualifying pass. I had sheets for both time trials and qualify. Your BEST run through the end of qualifying was a 20.8XX. With that said you are unfortunately placed into brackets as Pat has stated. This decision is based on your "Qualifying Pass." I even looked at all of the time trials before that and couldn't find any additional passes for your car. I can't make exceptions to the rule or the rules have no validity.

Additionally, I do not recall you showing me any timeslips. I do recall you stating you just ran a few 12s once we reopened the track to test N tune. Again those don't count towards class selection.

Chris

Last edited:
I will just have to make sure that I only run the car when they are qualifying the 3 times I did not run good was when I blew the tires off completely and I figured why beat a dead horse any further just cruise down to the end and get off the track so somebody else can run. I told them about the slips I had but they said that they did not see them so they must have been in tnt and not counted and the three stunk were in counted. I did kind of made 1 good run in the last round of qualifying but it could have been better. If I do race again I will bring the red 4.6 pi na bird that will be consistent and won't blow the tires off.

Steve, I too had a rotten time.... but it was my own fault....

BUT ALL OF IT WAS MY OWN FAULT... I drove my car, not any one else. I started my car and watched it jump into gear and drive thru my pit and hit my other trailer. I forgot to turn on my cooling fans and hurt my engine, not anyone else.
All this sucked and I did it all myself. Add to that I ordered the wrong slicks and did not catch it until it was too late... I guess when you goof up you have to look into the mirrow and say what a dumb ~~~ I am looking at..
I dragged two cars on two trailers getting less than 10 mpg each, hurt my pride, my car, my trailer, and a tent as well as almost running over my own son... No one to blame but myself..
Now will I be there next year....HELL YES I will be there... the difference is I will blame no one but MYSELF for what I did... Grab on to your boot straps and pull them up and be a big boy about this.... We all had fun even if it was not so much fun.....Rich

I had a blast... not sure what this guy is complaining about. I made one pass and a burnout, then spent the next 3.5 hours laying on the ground trying to get the broken axle out the diff. It cost a fair amount of money for me to get up there and race just to make one pass. But guess who's fault that was... mine, i didnt know that I chose crappy axles. I did enjoy meeting everyone and making new friends. That's what makes the trip worthwhile. Matt's right, its all about the attitude.

Listen. Its rough showing up to an event first time and really not knowing whats going on. For those that go every year they know each other and they know the entire process. You are being a bit hard on the guy. When I went to the shootout I didn't race my car because there was NOWAY IN HELL I WAS BLOWING UP THAT FAR FROM HOME! But I remember my first event. Not knowing many people. Feeling semi out of place. Everyones experience is different.

All I can say is give it another shot...And if you are worried about racing....There is always the All Ford Nats at Carlisle. Best car show around!!! Either way its worth going to an event just to talk tbird crap..I mean WHERE ELSE CAN YOU DO THAT@

Kills me to miss the shootout. One of the highlights of my year. Best bunch of people you could ever hang out with bar none.

Ken

I say this to people all the time; "it's only as bad as you let it be." I understand that people tolerate things differently, but the harsh response are reflective of how the frustration is being handled. Accountability works one way and it's simple; if something is one's fault, they own up to it, do not project it onto other people, and react in way that do not affect others. Truly make an attempt to isolate what is one's fault and not others.

I got there at 1:30, paid for the registration, asked about lunch, and someone told me to throw some burgers on the grill, so I did.

Sorry, I'm not trying to poke. I'm just saying to improve things such that they go smoother the next time. Pay when you register, ask for the possibility of food if it's gone, buy some better tires/upgrade some suspension, come out and have some fun next year!

I had a lot of fun and I didn't have a car. Every shootout is great!

buy some better tires...

irony-300x190.jpg

Back