Just got a 1989 barn find 54K car need parts

SR71Barnfind

I just rescued a 1989 SC 5 spd car with only 54k miles on it. The original owner showed me the engine was replaced by ford at 25K miles as part of a recall. It was literally in a barn with snakes under the hood. Original owner had owned the car since new.
I am looking to get suspension parts for it. The bushings have all rotted out from sitting. and the auto adjust shocks are bad. Is there a way to get rid of the auto adjusting shocks completely and use normal variable rate springs and shocks? Possibly a lowering kit to make it corner like it is on rails?
any help on what to get would be great.

Yes I believe all the bushings are still available. And yes you can get regular shocks. Super coupe performance has lowering springs.

more info on standard shocks

If I install non ride control shocks do I have any other issues with the ride control system I will have to deal with? looks like a pretty complex system, that it ties into the abs and other things as well?

Well, unless you remove the bulb from that slot in the cluster, you'd have to stare at the light flashing all the time. Then there would be the actuators still actuating, but you could unplug and discard them too.

Otherwise, I believe the rest of the system would just assume the ARC shocks are still involved, but offline, and go about it's business as usual.

As for being on rails, fatter sway bars would be a big step in that direction. If you lower it, be sure to re-establish the proper end link geometry, at least on the rear. If you've owned/worked on IRS cars in the past, all this shouldn't be too hard to get right.

About bushings, etc., this is a must read thread, I think:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthr...ings-for-MN12-s-and-FN10-s&highlight=bushings

Last edited:
More info need please.

Please ignore my ignorance with the super coupe. I have owned mostly mustangs till I found this barn find. Please don't hold it against me.
But it states different bushings for a MN12’s and FN10’s. How do I know which one I have? A MN12 or FN10. Mine is an all original 89 super coupe with a 5 spd.

Back