I'm in an interesting dilema..... what to do?(long)

My twin brother just bought a '66 mustang with a 289 in it. It is in really great shape, but I can tell it's not the HI-PO due to the fact that it has manifolds as opposed to headers. It's a white color, and he parked it in my garage for now until he decides what to do with it. It runs really smooth and quiet, but he is not going to tag it yet because his wife wants an '90 SC and he may trade it in for her to get one.
On the other hand I have a '93 Pontiac Grand Am Quad 4 sitting outside in excellent condition (except high miles). I do not have any immediate plans for the Grand Am, so what if I just trade it in for the '90 SC! She could have the SC and I could keep the '66 Mustang as a trade. Or I could just say the hell with it and keep the '90 SC for myself! (Not an option in brotherly love)
:rolleyes:
In my mind I can picture the '66 with a 351 in it and lowered with some of those new Bullit wheels and tires from the new Mustangs.
Well, I hope that I have not bored the masses with this little decision that i will have to make, but I am looking to build a 12 second car, and I know the '66 would be cheaper and easier than my SC, but I would have to take a '66 apart that has matching numbers to do it. Hmmmm.....
decisions, decisions......
dirtybirdie91:confused:

I feel really bad for you, I had a 93 Grand Am with the POS Quad4 in it (SOHC). Talk about your pieces of SH!T.

Al

Stop,think,then build it....

First off the stang is only worth money if you keep it stock. Yes it is still worth something, but the more org. it is the more $$$ it is worth. Now that we are thru with the money part. You said that you want to stuff a 351 in it, well you will have to do a "W" 351 as that is the only one of the three that will fit without too much work. As it is none of the 351's will bolt right in, but the "W" is the smallest of the three...You would be much better off building a 302 up to a 347 and stuff a blower on it and going 12's all day long. Plus when you are done no one but you has to know what you really got.... The 302 will look stock and will fit a whole lot better than the 351 "W" This is just my ideas,either way good luck and have fun....Rich

Hmmmm..

That's something to think about. Or how about a fuel injected 4.6 with a blower! Well that does sound stupid! Maybe I should take your advise and keep it stock!
dirtybirdie

I personally know I guy with a 66 with a 347 N/A that runs high 11's on street tires. You could do that without negatively affecting the value of the car (it's really not worth that much anyhow). Keep in mind that Ford's do not have "matching #'s". The heads have casting numbers, but even those are not exact.

Then again, a 66 ain't much of a car compared to an SC......

I agree with Dave the 66 coupes aren't that rare and are relativly cheap. These days restomods are bringing in more than originals unless you have a rare one (K-code or such). So it is a matter of what you want, a MOD motor in a vintage stang is alot of work but if you upgrade suspension and all, it will turn out to be a sweet ride! just my .02

Oh well...

I am thinking about just restoring the '66 to the point where just looks really clean. Magnum Powers really has me by the balls right about now with everything they are offering for our SC's!

Well this is simple. Does it snow bad by you? If no, then get rid of the Grand Am and never look back. Take the stang. My friend Joe has a bad ass 66 Stang coupe, and he got it cheap. It was white, and we painted it blue. Plus we rebuilt the motor over a weekend. Now he is going to put a 5.0L w/ a T5 in it, since it has a 3-speed right now.

I wouldn't mind an old classic mustang, and I can find them pretty cheap, but they just aren't practical for me right now. Hell two SC's in Michigan aren't really practical.

Back