Hypothetical question..'03 Cobra Engine swap into SC...

Mike Manzo

Just curious...

If the MN12 obviously supported the 4.6 and people have installed the 32V 4.6 in TBirds before, then is it possible to run the '03 Cobra Engine in the Thunderbird SC?

I was just pondering the costs involved and when remembering that a complete crate engine from SVO a couple years back for a 32V Cobra Engine was $6,000 with a warranty on it. The '03 Cobra engine would probably, definitely be more if available.

Obviously front suspension, radiator, hood and wiring harness would need replacement, but what about the transmission.

I know this is blasphemous, but would the 94-95 trans work with this engine?

Am I looking at $10,000, $12,000 or more to perform this operation?

If it's $10,000, I'll start saving since CMRE Stage II + all the other gofast parts you'd need would be about that anyway.

Is this just a pipe dream or is this possible with some reasonable certainty.

Does a Ford engine warranty void if the engine, though un modified, is used in a different vehicle other than the one it was designed for?

Or is this just a dumb idea anyway...

ford 03 crate motor is $12500.

I have considered buying a mark viii motor and electronics for under $1000 used, an 03 cobra short block for $3500 from ford (with forged goodies), a kenney bell Blowzilla whipple kit for about $4000, and have that sucker ported and assembled in a tbird.

That could get you an easy 500+ RWHP roots style for about $10K, but no warranty.

You would need an engine warranty if you bought an 03 cobra crate motor, just check BON and you'll find out why :) (tick, tick, tick, tick, ....)

Brian

p.s. the 94-95 transmission would work, but the bellhousing wouldn't. You would have to swap to a 4.6L case. If you did this, I have a spare 4R70W case in my garage that would work. While you are doing that, you may as well upgrade to the 7-8 disc clutch setup, and do the TCCoA article recommendations.

Back