Thread: drivers door window problem

drivers door window problem

my drivers door window on my 90 SC is acting funny going up it goes then pause a second then goes some more then pause again until its all the way up. it does the same thing going down. any ideas what it could be the problem.?

will a door from a 94-97 SC or the LX fit without any modifications?

or could I just take all the window mechanism from the 94-97 and put it in the 90 door?

any help appreciated.

What do you know about the gear box/motor? Might need new plugs and grease, but if very worn, the center shaft might be loose in the housing, which can make the gears side load and bind.

Otherwise, it might be just a matter of dry window glass runners.

Mine always slow down in winter...

This kit worked for me.

Did the same after ours was slowing down, it eventually turned the plugs to blue shattery plastic crap that went everywhere. Replaced plugs, cleared out and re greased and its good as new. Rockauto supplied the kit for me.

If you are really cheap, just replace the broken plastic plugs with some bolt nuts that fit in the slots. It's what I did a few months ago...cost me less than a dollar and they won't break on me anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by tberger06 View Post
    If you are really cheap, just replace the broken plastic plugs with some bolt nuts that fit in the slots.
    This mod will also guarantee the window will go up without stopping...not safe around kids, at the least, so...

thanks for the help gents I will try the kit and redo the motor

If you find the motor assembly won't take a kit (like if the center shaft wobbles), RockAuto has fresh units for a good price now and then (discount codes are around here somewhere...).

Speak up if you need help removing the door panel or kitting the assembly.

motor access

Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    If you find the motor assembly won't take a kit (like if the center shaft wobbles), RockAuto has fresh units for a good price now and then (discount codes are around here somewhere...).

Speak up if you need help removing the door panel or kitting the assembly.
    pull the speaker out first - it creates a huge access to the motor assembly and simplifies everything

+1 on the nut trick. Did that about 10 years ago on my driver s side, still working. Down side is this does remove the fail safe design. Make sure you keep your digits clear. Probably a 3 on the difficulty scale.

JJ

I made a thread over on TCCoA with some alternate options with part numbers and pics.

http://forums.tccoa.com/16-interior/...shing-mod.html

I found the problem with the window. the previous owner did the three nut mod and the nuts were out of place. I just purchased a new window motor to avoid any other problems.

thanks for all the suggestions and help

Quote Originally Posted by ghostryder View Post
    I found the problem with the window. the previous owner did the three nut mod and the nuts were out of place. I just purchased a new window motor to avoid any other problems.

thanks for all the suggestions and help
    Gasp, it's the first reported failure of the invincible nut mod! J/K... I never really saw the $7 plastic plug kit as a big investment, so I always went with that. But new motor is even better.
    God bless!!!

Former Birds:
    1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~225,000 miles ... Sold.
    1990 SC auto ... white outside, gray cloth inside ... ~150,000 miles ... wrecked.
    1989 Base auto ... Crystal Blue metallic outside, dark blue inside ... ~160,000 miles ... Sold.