Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 5.0 Coyote Swap Project Thread

Very cool Josh !

David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat...............707HP/650TQ

My Garage

Thanks guys!

I was able to drop the stock K member today and do a test fit and she fits. There have been a few guys wondering about fitment issues. There was none. The only thing that will not fit is the stock oil pan. I will need to buy a Canton low profile that is used in the Factory Five Cobras. If my measurements are correct it will fit perfectly. I was also able to weigh both K members and get a difference between the them, the mounts, arms and bolts. The difference is almost 30 pounds.

motor mounts?

What kind of motor mounts r those on the stock K-member? For the 5.0 or an aftermarket for the orig. 3.8? Never seen any like that b4

Adam

Are the new AJE k-member/control arms any better than the old ones? I'd love to save the weight, but I seem to recall a lot of people saying they were really drag race-only parts.

Will you please do me a favor? Will you measure the width and length of the K member? I suppose I could do it while it's mounted in the car but if you're willing to do it while it's out that would be MOST helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
    Are the new AJE k-member/control arms any better than the old ones? I'd love to save the weight, but I seem to recall a lot of people saying they were really drag race-only parts.
    See the flat plate around the shock mount on the lower control arm? That is new from the old style that didn't have any support there. The old ones would bent there at the shock mount. I don't know anyone that has used the new design yet to see if it will hold up.
    ~Chris
    SCCoA Member #1826
    Bettie Riding jack stands
    SCARlet on drag duty now

Quote Originally Posted by potshotscott View Post
    Will you please do me a favor? Will you measure the width and length of the K member? I suppose I could do it while it's mounted in the car but if you're willing to do it while it's out that would be MOST helpful.
    Width from mount to mount 34.75", length at bottom tube ends 21.125", height 9". Mine is old style. Looks a little different from the new.
    Last edited by BLOWN38; 01-05-2016 at 11:31 AM.
    ~Chris
    SCCoA Member #1826
    SCARlet on drag duty now

Here is some pics of mine.

Name:  20160105_101114.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  393.6 KB

Name:  20160105_101751.jpg
Views: 1412
Size:  441.2 KB
    ~Chris
    SCCoA Member #1826
    SCARlet on drag duty now

Quote Originally Posted by aroot1 View Post
    What kind of motor mounts r those on the stock K-member? For the 5.0 or an aftermarket for the orig. 3.8? Never seen any like that b4

Adam
    They look like 4.6 mounts to me.

Quote Originally Posted by aroot1 View Post

Adam
    Turbo Chuck's Type 9

http://www.turbochuck.com/motormounts/Type_9_3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BLOWN38 View Post
    Width from mount to mount 34.75", length at bottom tube ends 21.125", height 9". Mine is old style. Looks a little different from the new.
    Thank you! Edit - are these the measurements from the old stock unit? (That's what I'm interested in).

Quote Originally Posted by potshotscott View Post
    Thank you! Edit - are these the measurements from the old stock unit? (That's what I'm interested in).
    Not the stock unit. Those measurements are from the AJE. I'll try to remember to measure the stock one when I get home.
    ~Chris
    SCCoA Member #1826
    SCARlet on drag duty now

Just a little update. The stock Coyote oil pan will not fit on the stock k member or the AJE k member. I thought a low profile coyote oil pan was going to work but it will not fit either. I have to make a custom oil pan and that is out of my skill level since I have zero welding experience. I called Moroso and Canton for a bid and Moroso won by $300. The pan's sump should hold over 7 quarts plus the oil filter 8 quarts for the system. The part that sucks, the oil pan will take 6 weeks to build and get plated.

Second with the exhaust, I was planing on cutting off the Kooks flange and having the coyote flange welded on in it's place. I find it too risky for screwing up a perfect pair of headers so I'm going to see if I can have the kooks flange welded on top of the coyote flange. Not sure how the clearance will work out until I have the engine in the car.

BTW if you buy a 2011-12 coyote engine you will need coarse threaded exhaust studs and nuts to bolt your headers. 2013 and newer are fine threads. Just found that out today.

Lastly, I guess I'm not the only one this winter dropping in a coyote, I've had a three guys message me on Facebook and SCCoA that are doing the same project. Coyote MN12-FN10's taking over soon!

Question. IS the issue with oil pan not fitting due to the engine being lowered for fitment? Also the coyote is about the same length but height and width are different I believe. That being said Id be scared to use any header made for the 4.6 and mn12 as it may have to be really chopped up to work. Have you tried factory 5.0 manifold clearance? Ive always thought a 6 speed auto and coyote in an lsc would be sweet and they now have the control pack for that setup..So My minds been wandering..And factory k member wont work?

THANKS!
    They don't call me "SLOWPOKE" for nothin!
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=110
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    I love the filter. Its pimp. paper element and 10Mircron filtration, 12" long cause size matters.

Like a glove! This was a test fit to make sure the oil pan measurements and headers are going to fit. And they do. Kooks headers will clear the K member. Just put my order in for the oil pan. Should be here in 5 weeks.

Last edited by OxmanWI; 01-22-2016 at 07:02 PM.