Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 5.0 Coyote Swap Project Thread

Quote Originally Posted by XxSlowpokexX View Post
    Question. IS the issue with oil pan not fitting due to the engine being lowered for fitment? Also the coyote is about the same length but height and width are different I believe. That being said Id be scared to use any header made for the 4.6 and mn12 as it may have to be really chopped up to work. Have you tried factory 5.0 manifold clearance? Ive always thought a 6 speed auto and coyote in an lsc would be sweet and they now have the control pack for that setup..So My minds been wandering..And factory k member wont work?

THANKS!
    The issue is the Coyote oil pan sump is too long. MN12 Kooks headers from SCP clear the k member. I don't think the factory k member will work. I've been told you have to cut and modify the stock k member.

hell yeah, nice!
    ~Chris
    SCCoA Member #1826
    Bettie Riding jack stands
    SCARlet on drag duty now

How tall is the engine? Are you going to have to run a cowl hood?

I think it's 27" tall from the ole inter webs. Just eye ballin it I don't think a stock hood would work. I have a 3" VFN cowl hood.

Updates...

The headers.

So I bought turbo exhaust flanges from JEGS and the diameter of the port holes were 1.75". My MN12 Kooks headers have the 1.50" primary. I bought a steel tube from a welding shop with an OD of 1.75" and an ID of 1.50" perfect, only $5, they were going to scrap it. I cut the steel tube into 8 rings to have welded in the flange so I could match the 1.50" primary. I than had the headers welded on top of the flange. I just got them back this week and did a test fit, they are golden. The driver side is a little tight but it will work. I also had a extra O2 bung welded in for my wideband. So they are done for the most part, I just got them back from the machine shop. After all the welding, the heat will warp the flange, so I had them flatten the mounting side. Next week I'm having them ceramic coated.

The oil pan.

I have not done a test fit yet, I have to take the engine out and make sure the pick-up and oil pan for sure fit. Then I will drop the engine in again for good to make sure the oil pan is good.

Brakes and suspension.

I replaced my old Ed brackets with Dave's CNC brackets, they are really nice. These are for Cobra rotors in the rear. I also did a Mustang 4.50 hub swap and bought new UHMW knuckle and lower arm bushings for the rear. New Cobra rotors and pads, braided brakes lines, Reman Corvette calipers, Reman rear T-Bird calipers and wheel spacers for Mustang rims.

SpeedHut gauges

Man these are cool! Can't wait to have these in. The speedo is GPS, no VSS to plug into. Turn signal and flash built in. Made in the USA.

Lastly, things are going pretty smooth. I'm running out of money and excuses for the wife to buy car parts with the credit card. I'm currently looking for another Mustang GT to part out or flip to help finish this project. I'm hoping to be done by May 1st. That is the plan for now. But we all know that doesn't happen so for right now, wishful thinking.

Thanks for looking!

Josh

oxman, you always have an awesome project going on that i envy....
    you should get a cougar 1997 sport and put yamaha sho engine in it, the v6 one ! now i think that would be a cool car..wish i had the skills to do swaps and stuff. if i did id save my tbird and hunt for a nice 94 v6 stang and supercoupe swap it.but im dumb dumb..

rock on josh !

Great job Josh! Looking forward to seeing this car driving/racing.

David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat...............707HP/650TQ

My Garage

Thanks guys!

Nice build. I'm sure we all appreciate the step by step & technical information as you're going along. Not too many people like to give that out. They have a "learn at your expense" mentality.
    I'm looking at doing a complete Cobra transformation but the CoyotE swap has crossed my mind many times.
    Good luck, keep up the journey.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_Bird View Post
    Nice build. I'm sure we all appreciate the step by step & technical information as you're going along. Not too many people like to give that out. They have a "learn at your expense" mentality.
    I'm looking at doing a complete Cobra transformation but the CoyotE swap has crossed my mind many times.
    Good luck, keep up the journey.
    Mark
    Thank you, it has been a journey since 2011 with different motors and superchargers. Hope this is the last set up for a long time.

Hey if anyone has questions feel free to email or PM me. oxbd64@hotmail.com

There are a couple guys that have done this swap already and they have been helpful with info and I appreciate that for sure.

Another update

The oil pan fits. The pick up is spot on. With the headers, oil pan the starter fits with no clearance issues.

Used some silly puddy to see what the clearence from the bottom of the sump.

If you get a 2011+ Mustang 5.0 the oil adapter will hit the sway bar. You can replace it with one from a 2011+ F150 5.0, get a oil cooler / remote oil filter kit. I found a F150 adapter cheap on eBay for $20.

Headers and oil pan, coming together!

Last edited by OxmanWI; 03-14-2016 at 08:54 PM.

Valve cover plates. I really don't need them but I couldn't pass up a custom CNC design. I'm having them powder coat to look like the ones on the bottom.

Another update. I'm going with a manual valve body from Lentech and a Hurst pistol grip quarter shift. The 4R75W is getting a forged forward clutch drum and the valve body installed, a dyno with the TC at my local transmission shop that I trust with no bull ~~~~.

Since this is a full manual I have to wire buttons for the TC lock up and overdrive. I'll probably wire the red button on the hurst as the overdrive and put a button on the center console dash for the lock up.

I bought this 1/4 steel plate 12x4" to mount the hurst shifter. Drilled the holes and mounted nice a strong.

I had to cut a little tab out in the front, not bad.

Looking very Sporty !

David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat...............707HP/650TQ

My Garage

Questions - did you have to go with a full manual VB or could you have kept it automatic? Would the 6R80 fit? FRPP is offering a complete package now (M-9000-PMCA).
    Last edited by Toms-SC; 04-08-2016 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toms-SC View Post
    Questions - did you have to go with a full manual VB or could you have kept it automatic? Would the 6R80 fit? FRPP is offering a complete package now (M-9000-PMCA).
    I don't have to go with a full MVB, no. I could have kept my trans control pack, but I figure it would be more fun.

I do not know for sure if the 6R80 would fit in our trans tunnel. I know the fox guys are having a little bit of clearance issues along with headers and starters not fitting.

Yea that kit is pretty cool, I figure I've already invested so much money in the 4R75W I should just keep it. There are lots of guys on the SVT Performance forums with their 03-04 Cobras swapping in 4R70W with MVB set ups. Granted they are all pushing way more HP then my set up, but I plan on throwing on a blower in a couple years.
    Last edited by OxmanWI; 04-09-2016 at 02:39 PM.