Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: 5.0 Coyote Swap Project Thread

Looking good, can't wait to see how it looks and runs with the supercharger. Does that mean you will also need to make a custom hood ?

David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat...............707HP/650TQ

My Garage

Thanks Dave, yea I shouldn't have to. I already have a 3" cowl VFN hood. I'm sure a NA coyote without the engine cover would clear a stock hood.

This thread needs a Coyote update

Where to start?

Interior:

I purchased a 6 point roll cage during the winter, it will have removable side bars. Having it professionally installed and welded in by fabricator that works on drag cars. Going back to the stock shifter (See transmission update below). I removed and sold the aftermarket black carpet Iíve had for 10 years. Iím replacing it with stock carpet from my 97 Tbird parts car. Going to have it cleaned and dyed black. Replacing the stock seats, yet again with a pair of Sportline RRS Corbeau Racings seats with 5 point harness. This time I wonít be using their brackets. I have a pair of MN12 manual seat brackets that I will modify to work.

Suspension and Chassis:

Just installed rear aluminum subframe bushings, beefy rear diff mount and LWP cover. Waiting on new QA1 coil over shocks front and rear. Dropped the AJE K-member one inch because the Supercharger was slightly touching the hood. This will also help with the transmission clearance as well.

Wheels:

Over the winter I had my front wheels narrowed 1.5Ē to help with the rubbing issue with the strut bar.

Fuel system:

I recently bought an Aeromotive 15 gallon fuel cell, new PFTE lines, fittings, fuel filter and fuel rails

Engine / Trans management:

So I ditched the FRPP Coyote control kit for Power by the hourís engine/trans control kit for the Coyote 5.0 and the 6R80 auto. This works all together on the same computer instead of using two standalone units to control each. The transmission will also have a sport mode to shift threw all the gears manually with a touch of a button.

Transmission:

Picked up a 6R80 from a 2014 F150 with just over 5K miles. With a one inch drop from the K-member I hope this will fit in the trans tunnel. I will be able to use the MN12 stock shifter and cable with a 4R70W lever adapter. Iím hoping with a custom 6R80 mount, it will work with the MN12 cross trans brace.

Anyways just waiting on parts. Between family, work, house projects and everything else I might do a 3rd shift again to finish this for summer.

First drive of 2017 with the new set up. Supercharger, Fuel cell, coil overs and more. The first MN12 with a Supercharged Coyote 5.0. Still tuning the car, need the exhaust done, dyno and few odds and ends. Feels great to be back in a Thunderbird!

Looking good there Josh, great job!

Joe
    It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Great work Josh, so often you see projects like this stall out and never hit the road. Do you think an NA Coyote would clear the stock MN12 hood? I'm guessing not. I know the front mount throttle body pokes up pretty high and forward. Last night at a local meet I was looking at a Coyote swapped 4-eyed Fox Mustang, and it had a small rise cowl hood for clearance.

cheers
    Ed

Awesome!
    Matt Haub
    Shootouts: '09 SS 1st | '10 Mod1 2nd | '11 Bracket 3rd | '12 Bracket 1st | 2013 | '14 Bracket 3rd | 2015 | '16 Bracket 1st & Mod2 2nd | 2017 |
    Black '89 5spd - 281K miles, MPx, E85, Alky-Inj ¶ RWHP: ? RWTQ: ? ¶ Best 1/4mi:12.521, MPH:107.23mph
    35th Anniversary Auto 46k miles | Red '93 Auto 186k miles
    My Garage

Josh,

Car looks great !

David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat...............707HP/650TQ

My Garage

That's one sweet bird!! Nice work

Quote Originally Posted by Rodeo Joe View Post
    Looking good there Josh, great job!

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post
    Great work Josh, so often you see projects like this stall out and never hit the road. Do you think an NA Coyote would clear the stock MN12 hood? I'm guessing not. I know the front mount throttle body pokes up pretty high and forward. Last night at a local meet I was looking at a Coyote swapped 4-eyed Fox Mustang, and it had a small rise cowl hood for clearance.

cheers
    Ed
    I don't think so, a cowl hood would be recommend. I lowered my AJE K member one inch to clear the SC and intake.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFishbone View Post
    Awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Neibert View Post
    Josh,

Car looks great !

David
    Quote Originally Posted by no164ford View Post
    That's one sweet bird!! Nice work
    Thanks guys, this was a long time coming. Never really got to enjoy the car when it had the SVO or Tork Tech kit when the motor was NPI and than a built PI motor. This would be the first time in 5-6 years I've actually got to enjoy this car, last year NA Coyote and now.

I went to a car show yesterday near Milwaukee to meet a fabricater who specializes roll cages and drag car stuff. He is going to weld up my side boom tube exhaust this week. Next year when I get back from my deployment he will make some subframe connectors and install the roll cage. Body work and paint to follow.~

Drove to the car show while datalogging. My tuner asked for some 2500-5000 WOT pulls on the street. Man that was nerve racking, I was breaking the tires loose in 3rd. This thing is a beast and fun to drive. The Manuel rack steering is a little tough on slow turns but I can handle it.~

When the exhaust is done I'll post a few videos.

Thanks again guys, I appreciate all the comments. Sorry for the delay.